Bellevue, Washington
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 17m 46s
Overall Rank = 1/12
Age Group = Female
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

A coworker convinced me to do this race. I agreed last minute. I like these weeknight races though so we drove over after work. A is new to running and this was her first trail race. How could I say no!?!?!
Event warmup:

A and I used the porta than ran a couple miles on the course. We headed over to the start then I did some strides and we lined up for the start!
Run
  • 17m 46s
  • 4 kms
  • 04m 26s  min/km
Comments:

The plan was to run the first mile a bit fast in hopes to get to the single track portion ahead in case I was unable to do any passing.

I have been in marathon training mode thus have slowed a bit so short races are PARTICULARLY painful. I also had done a training run earlier so I knew this would hurt a bit.

They fired the gun and we all took off.

I got to the front right off the start and file din behind one other guy. He had a speedy yet consistent pace. We put a lot of separation between everyone else and laid down a solid effort in the first mile. I pulled in front of him on the uphill and he back in front of me on the down.

On the out and back portion I was able to see A running and gave her a cheer and a wave. The guy and I were single file as we headed into the woods.

The trail was a double track at first. Undulating but only gently curving. Then it funneled into some true single track that was even technical at times. I had to slow a few times as the trail wasn't totally straightforward and there were lots of twists and turns. I got into the rhythm and subsequently into some suffering from the effort.

Just when I thought I couldn't handle the effort we broke out of the woods and I could see the finish. I just needed to hang on.

The trail would down across a field and just when I thought I could smell the sweet relief of the finish the trail diverted away. I couldn't let up though. There were no other females in front of me and I could maybe, just maybe chase down the guy in front of me.

I pushed harder and started sprinting towards the finish. It became apparent I wouldn't overtake the young man in front of me but I didn't let up. Then, lucky for me, rather than diverting to the finish chute the guy kept going as he wasn't doing the 4K. I held my pace and sprinted to the finish coming in first female and first overall.

What would you do differently?:

Running fast is so hard when I am in marathon mode. Not much I can do so long as I am not training specifically.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran a bit then watched Ann finish. She loved the race and really pushed herself. yay!

As I was cooling down I had a total allergy attack. I sneezed at least 30 times, my eyes swelled up and I could hardly breathe. BTW to my knowledge, I don't have allergies but this is now the second time this has happened to me after a trail race. Weird...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Everything, lol!

Event comments:

Great race!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-06-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:46 | 04 kms | 04m 26s  min/km
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 1/12
Performance: Average
Course: he 4k-loop course is composed of an out-and-back on a wide, gravel path to the west along the Bellevue Botanical Gardens, followed by a loop through the forested trails and around the baseball fields in the east part of the park. There is a variety of trail widths and surfaces on this course, making for a course that changes character throughout the loop. Apart from the moderate elevation gain, most of the route is fast and non-technical, with just a few windy trails to keep runners on their toes.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-06-09 1:41 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Wilburton Hillbilly

2016-06-09 1:52 PM
in reply to: #5186189

User image

Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Wilburton Hillbilly
Wow, girl! You cannot hold us with all this emotional anxiety increase and then just end it with... I won female and overall. The End ;p lol
I absolutely love your race reports and the trail running. I am so inspired I want to try those next year!

Great job and fantastic pics I am very happy for your co-worker too! Does she have any plans for future races?
2016-06-09 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Look at you charging in front of everyone!  Sounds like you had fun.  I bet a 4k trail run was a good punch in the lungs.

2016-06-09 2:02 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Yay to your co-worker loving the trails and a HUGE YAY to you taking the OA win and AG win, so speedy and determined!  You train very hard and consistently and it clearly pays off, congrats!  I love the little chipmunk with the watermelon, so cute and very cool how you and A are mimicking it!

2016-06-09 2:32 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Whoop whoop! OA WIN!!
Your determination is inspiring. Love reading your reports.
2016-06-14 2:31 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Great job Adrienne, love your race reports

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wilburton Hillbilly Rss Feed