General Discussion Triathlon Talk » nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-09 3:56 PM

Subject: nutrition
I started running last year mainly to loose weight, then it transitioned to prepping for a sprint tri, have done a few of those fine.... Now as I am increasing my miles for a planned Oly in Sept, 13.1 in Oct, I am looking more closely at nutrition. On some of my short runs (3-5 mi) sometimes I feel like I am dieing so tired, other times I am fine... max I've run recently is 8 miles and felt fine.

I have began to wonder if I need to take in some pre run nutrition (ie carbs , yogurt or fruit?), but then all I read is that you really don't need additional fuel if running under 2 hrs. Plus I would hope to be able to run without additional nutrition so my body can use what's left of my fat stores for energy.

Should I be taking in some food 20-30 minutes before runs or not worry about it and just work harder? I have read also that worry about energy after an hour or so.

2016-06-09 4:50 PM
in reply to: wuaname

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: nutrition
It's pretty individual, but if you are struggling on long runs, then I'd definitely experiment with putting a little "gas in the tank" before a run. Personally I feel a lot better if I have a snack (usually granola bar and coffee) before any workout that lasts longer than 30-40 minutes, especially since 90% of my run and bike training is early morning (about 5-6:30 AM). Otherwise my energy flags and I get hungry, which is annoying! There are a lot of variables that affect whether you would actually "need" this (what/when you ate the night before, metabolism, intensity, etc.) but if it makes your runs go better, do it. (Caffeine helps too, especially for morning runs!) Normally I also take a gu for anything 90 minutes or over, and have it at about halfway.

There are different ideas about training in a fasted state, but I wouldn't do it for a long run--it will feel sucky and possibly hurt your ability to recover. If you feel okay doing that for shorter workouts of an hour or less, do that--might help with weight loss or fat-burning. (That's never been a goal of mine, so I don't keep up on current thoughts on this--could be mistaken.)
2016-06-10 12:18 AM

User image

Ventura, California
I always eat something before a run. I am a plant based athlete so I predominately live on carbs. Our bodies run on predominately carbs.

I eat a grapefruit/orange and/or a banana about an hour before anything longer then a 5K. For runs approaching 1/2 marathon and longer, I will also add in a couple potatoes. (Slice them up. microwave and vegan butter) You need to give the body some fuel.

Also as a note, running to lose weight is a difficult thing to do. The more you run, the hungrier you will become. If you try to starve yourself of calories you will be lethargic and set yourself up for injuries as your mileage increases. I lost 90lbs on a plant based diet, but as my running increased, (ultimately completing 2 full marathons within 4 months of each other) my weight loss stagnated at 170lbs, 20% body fat for over a year.

As soon as I stopped the high volume running and training, the weight loss started again. Down to 165 and 17% body fat, but unfortunately for the fat loss, its high volume training season again. I have 3 triathlons in August, so I only have about 2 months to really ramp up my training for my 'A' race mid August.

All weight loss will come from the following formula: 80% Nutrition, 20% Exercise, and 100% Attitude!

Now Fruit Up and RUN!
2016-06-10 1:16 PM

User image

Pro

my guess is that what you're experiencing on some of your short runs, is probably just that you're not warmed up, or are coming into the run with a lot of fatigue.  I doubt that you're hitting the wall (depleted glycogen stores) during any run of less than 15 miles.   So, for a day to day training, for oly distances, you really don't need to worry much about nutrition.  

That said, on race day you'll certainly want to develop a hydration plan, that includes some calories.  with a ~3hr event you shouldn't hit the wall, but there's no reason to test your glycogen store limits.  sports drink, gels/bloks and such are easy to digest, go-to energy sources for race day. But try them out during training to make sure you've found ones you like and can stomach.  The ones with caffeine can give you a much needed boost.  (depending on your sensitivity to caffeine)

the higher your intensity, the fewer things you will be able to eat.  That's why ultra distance runners- that are running long at low intensity, can down bacon double cheeseburgers at aid stops, but a 10K to HM paced race at threshold, probably sports drink is all you can stomach.  Oly distance pacing... you might be able to down an energy bar, but you probably wont need to.  Eat a banana before the race.  YMMV.

2016-06-10 1:29 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
You've already gotten some good advice. Andyou may already be doing this, but if not, make sure you're keeping a log. What are you eating and when, the temperature, the course you're running, etc. In doing that, I found that where I was running into trouble was what I was eating/drinking the night before. Getting older kind of sucks that way. :P But even more than that, it was trying to run longer when it started getting hot/humid. So for me, hydration.
2016-06-10 10:47 PM

Sarasota, Florida
I used to hate morning runs and discovered it was due to nutrition. I just felt lazy and weak. Since I like to keep some definition a personal trainer recommended to go protein over carbs in the ams before runs and it helped energy wise than going empty. I usually eat a couple boiled eggs or some lox (though their high in sodium and baked salmon is better). Carbs are essential fuel but like others said if you're in it to lose weight you might want to limit the carb loading appropriately.

2016-06-10 11:21 PM

Originally posted by wuaname

I started running last year mainly to loose weight, then it transitioned to prepping for a sprint tri, have done a few of those fine.... Now as I am increasing my miles for a planned Oly in Sept, 13.1 in Oct, I am looking more closely at nutrition. On some of my short runs (3-5 mi) sometimes I feel like I am dieing so tired, other times I am fine... max I've run recently is 8 miles and felt fine.

I have began to wonder if I need to take in some pre run nutrition (ie carbs , yogurt or fruit?), but then all I read is that you really don't need additional fuel if running under 2 hrs. Plus I would hope to be able to run without additional nutrition so my body can use what's left of my fat stores for energy.

Should I be taking in some food 20-30 minutes before runs or not worry about it and just work harder? I have read also that worry about energy after an hour or so.

It is VERY individual, but I will give you my personal recipe for success:

Go grains early and sugars late.

For me, grains like teft a couple hours before my run/event or a whole wheat toast with PB on it seem to work wonders as far as getting to/keeping an even energy level, and then during exercise sugar in the form of gels or drink maintains.

Oly distance I just run my drink (skratch) and dont bother with solids during the race, longer I run blocks on the bike and gels on runs.

I did have to fine tune the when to eat gels bit by going out on long rides or runs and trying different feeding intervals to see where I stopped running deficits.

2016-06-11 3:18 AM
in reply to: #5186225

User image

, North Carolina
For me, my last food has to be at least 2+ hours before I exercise. So it makes it tough to eat much before I go. But, I've found through trial and error that if I'm much beyond 4 hours after I eat I'm too hungry and will do a banana.

Nutrition is key. But, so is sleep and recovery.

I'll agree with keeping a journal. I can be eye opening.

Practice what you think is going to work in the race. Then tweak it from there. Eat your race nutrition at the beginning of a medium run to see how your stomach can handle it. If your training is like mine, I don't have a lot of opportunities to practice full race nutrition so I experiment. I tried a fruit squeeze packet on my last long(ish) ride. Won't be doing that again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » nutrition Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone used Hot Tamales as part of their nutrition? Other non-traditional nutrition ideas?

Started by Moonrocket
Views: 2816 Posts: 24

2013-08-09 10:20 PM BAMBAM66

Nutrition - Weight Loss while training for Triathlon

Started by NewTri
Views: 2444 Posts: 18

2004-01-22 6:14 AM cameronw

Nutrition/Vitamin supplemants

Started by Lee
Views: 893 Posts: 7

2003-12-12 11:53 AM TripleThreat

Nutrition

Started by Yvette Combel
Views: 952 Posts: 4

2003-11-17 7:56 AM cameronw

Nutrition

Started by ruby25
Views: 933 Posts: 3

2003-09-05 5:05 PM OLDMAN
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 8, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Top experts in triathlon nutrition answer your common training and race day nutrition questions.

date : August 20, 2008
author : mrakes1
During this past weekend's Olympic distance triathlon, lack of fuel and dehydration hurt me during the run. I feel a little lost with knowing what, when and how much to consume.
date : August 20, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
For many athletes and active people, nutrition is their missing link. Here are a few ABC’s to get you started on the path to winning with good nutrition.

date : April 14, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 3
So what is behind the Infinit line of custom nutrition products? We took a trip to the Infinit world headquarters and conducted an in-depth review of the Infinit Nutrition product.
date : August 17, 2007
Use this guide as a tool to perfect your nutrition during all three disciplines in a triathlon. Because not everyone requires the same quantity of macronutrients, be sure to practice your plan.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : July 30, 2006
Understanding the scientific concept behind a small amount of nutrition before and during your shorter triathlons.

date : January 24, 2005
author : BrianPBN
As every veteran athlete can attest, a non-existent or ill planned ‘race meal plan’ will leave you falling far short of your goals or even worse, in the medical tent.