General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-09 6:11 PM

Subject: Heart Rate Training
Does anyone or everyone here guide there training by heart rate zones? What are the benefits compared to a set pace, time or distance training format?

2016-06-10 1:28 PM
in reply to: FrankMilena

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training

Yes. Firstly- you asked about training, so how I use HR during training is different than on race day.  We'll talk about training.

If you live in a flat place with minimal wind, or run on a track, then using pace as a measure of intensity is pretty solid.  If when you race, you're also on flat areas, then you can use your race paces to calculate training paces- and you're good to go.  Me, there's little that's flat near me, so pace is a poor metric.  Then, you need to look at 'intensity'.  So, how do you judge your intensity.  you can do it by feel, i.e. RPE (rate of perceived exertion), HR, or for cycling- a power meter.

power meters for cycling are the bees knees, but the running ones are just getting there.  Not well integrated and developed yet.

Roughly, I find that RPE gets me within about 20% accurate (emotions play a huge role here), HR within about 10%, and a power meter 2%.

Key thing about HR is that while it's a really good metric of intensity, you need to be aware of the things that can affect it.  Fatigue, hydration and temperature are the primary factors.  So- whenever you look at your HR, you need to always be compensating for the 'extra' things that your heart is doing, while it's also sending blood to your muscles.  You'll only learn the effects by doing a lot of HR training.

Now- with all of that in mind.  Yes.  HR training is very valuable.  With running, most of your running should be easy.  i.e. zones 1-3.  You can look up how to set zones, there are minor variations between methods but all shoot for the same thing.  Ignore your Max HR.  That's almost irrelevant for endurance sports.  What you really need to measure is your Lactate Threshold HR. LTHR is the HR you can sustain, on race day, going all out, for an hour.  It defines your current physiological limit and is the number that is used to calculate your zones.

Bottom line:  For training, I mostly use my HR to keep me from running too fast on easy days.

2016-06-10 6:16 PM
in reply to: #5186239

Thanks for the reply. Very useful information
2016-06-10 7:08 PM
in reply to: #5186383

User image

Utah
Personally, I hate HR training. So glad my training now isn't live or die by it, because it drove me nuts. The only time my workouts are driven by HR these days seem to be when I'm supposed to reign it in, and not go too fast/hard as others have mentioned.
2016-06-11 4:45 AM
in reply to: KatieLimb

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I find it useful mainly for run training. I don't seem to have a problem with going too hard on easy days. (I think I have a natural ability to run at an easy pace. Seriously.) I use it mainly for tempo runs--I seem to have trouble finding that zone of effort. I either go too slow and don't get in the intended workout, or (more often) go too hard and trash myself for subsequent workouts. It's probably because I almost never did them as a young runner and never developed a good sense of what "tempo" really means-- all I really know instinctively is "easy", "intervals", or "race"! It can be difficult to use HR reliably if you are running in a lot of varied weather and terrain. But it's pretty much hot here year-round, and flat--I set my zones with an LT test in a hot, flat 5K (ish) race, so they're valid for the normal conditions I train in. In Oregon, it's cooler but hiller--I still use the same zones, but I'm running a lot faster, at least on the flats!

I've found HR less useful for biking. Most of my outdoor training here is in windy, very hot conditions; I can't do a threshold test outside safely, and when I train indoors, I have the AC on, and it's usually 10-20 degrees cooler than outside. For any ride over three hours, I usually split it between outdoors and inside, and using heart rate is really comparing apples and oranges as conditions are so different. Add to that all the other random things that affect heart rate, and it's pretty useless as a metric, particularly for those split workouts. For those reasons I got a power meter at the end of last year. Much more useful for both training and racing.
2016-06-11 9:29 AM
in reply to: #5186387

All very good points. I guess it has its uses but it is not the be all guideline for training. I mostly want to use it to establish zone training, understanding the differences of indoor/outdoor, terrain, heat etc.

2016-06-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: #5186424

User image

, North Carolina
I've used heart rate for a few years. Finally actually started making it useful this year.

I've found the maffetone method to be fairly accurate and plenty helpful. Basically, it says to run at a pace that is at or below your aerobic threshold(very different from lactate threshold) to build a base of aerobic capacity. Then to move on to working in some anaerobic/threshold work.
It came out almost equivalent to my friel zones.

If you have an endurance background and can do a 30min lactate threshold test. Then do that and go from there. If you don't I'd go maffetone method and run at that HR for a while.

Where a lot of us get in trouble is the dreaded zone 3. Your working hard enough to feel like it is work but not hard enough to get faster. It also leaves you drained of energy stores and sore. Making it difficult to train again the next day or day after.

As others have eluded to, HR training will really slow down your easy runs. Remember it is just a tool to help you train more efficiently. HR on the bike and the run are different.

What's your age? What's your resting HR?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Rss Feed