Other Resources The Political Joe » What do you think? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-06-09 6:55 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: What do you think?

I read an article today that came off of a protest organizers twitter account  that basically said many of the Sanders supporters will vote for Trump instead of Clinton.  The premise was that the Sanders supporters (or more correctly, many of them) would vote down Clinton since she is an example of politicians who promote and pander to big money, wallstreet, etc.  Their idea was that a Trump presidency would mean anarchy and a dismantling of the current system.....a void that they could then step into in 4 years and bring about the change/revolution they are looking for. 

You think so?

2016-06-09 7:58 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: What do you think?

Originally posted by Left Brain

I read an article today that came off of a protest organizers twitter account  that basically said many of the Sanders supporters will vote for Trump instead of Clinton.  The premise was that the Sanders supporters (or more correctly, many of them) would vote down Clinton since she is an example of politicians who promote and pander to big money, wallstreet, etc.  Their idea was that a Trump presidency would mean anarchy and a dismantling of the current system.....a void that they could then step into in 4 years and bring about the change/revolution they are looking for. 

You think so?

I've seen lots of discussion on the topic and I have a good number of Sanders supporters that are FB friends.  I'd say zero of my Sanders loving FB friends will be voting for Hillary.  Maybe 20%-30% will go Trump and the rest will likely not vote or go third party.

This is quite a weird election for sure.

2016-06-10 7:26 AM

User image

Elite
Will some Bernie supporters refuse to vote for Hillary? Sure. A very small %...<10% of them imo.
Will all, or even a majority, of those Bernie supporters refusing to vote for Hillary, vote for Trump? Absolutely not.
Bernie will likely endorse Hillary...likely at or just after the Convention. While he's way further Left than Hillary and Obama, he's not stupid and recognizes Trump must be defeated.

As for the Bernie support, don't let the raw vote on the Democratic primary side fool you.
Bernie's supporters are rabid, "must vote" voters.
A very high % of Bernie supporters voted in the primaries.
Basically, folks more likely to vote for Hillary (aka establishment candidate voters) are much less likely to come out and vote in primaries compared to national elections.

• ..the same is true for the Trumpster. The folks likely to vote for Donald did vote in the primaries.
  • So yes, while guys like Bernie and Trump polled well within the primary/caucus voters, their overall support is not as strong as one would think come gen election time.

Now, it's all about the general election. Trump started it out with a YUUUUGE misstep. The one group he could least afford to tick off, Hispanics, he screwed up with when he made the idiotic judge comment. He will absolutely not carry >30% of the Hispanic vote. This will make his road very difficult...no matter how many times he shouts, "I love Hispanics! Hispanics love me! I'll bring them jobs!!"

2016-06-10 8:34 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
    Bernie and Trump both utilize demagogic rhetoric to gain power, bantering towards frustrated people (which there happen to be a lot of). The only difference was their choice of scapegoat. Trump goes with immigrants, non-Christians, non-whites, whereas Bernie went with the rich and powerful. Same formula though. And they targeted the same type of people; those that are frustrated with where they are and want someone (other than themselves) to blame for their situation. So the audience is the same, the type of rhetoric is the same...will one group then fall into the other? I think there will be a decent number. They're all desperate for change because they think it will help them out of their current situation (which in reality is self imposed), so even if it is not the change they want, they will still go for a change. So yeah, I could see it.
    2016-06-10 9:36 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
    I can see plenty of people yelling and screaming such statements now, because they are mad, frustrated, and they want Hillary to know how much they hate her. There is few months until November and some of them will calm down and realize Trump is a terrible choice. They will either not vote (small %) or suck it up and vote for Hillary.

From all my friends who are Bernie supporters (including me), everyone has already admitted we will vote for Hillary. No, we don't like her, but at the same time - the November election is not about who we like, but about who from the only two options will be the president.

I actually am wondering about Republican voters. I talked to my best friend, who is an ultra-republican (no idea how we made it to be best friends haha, but we just never discuss politics). She is very thorn, because she does not feel like voting for democrats, and also does not want to see Trump as president.
    2016-06-10 10:22 AM
    in reply to: 3mar

User image

Pro
    Tejas
    Originally posted by 3mar

Bernie and Trump both utilize demagogic rhetoric to gain power, bantering towards frustrated people (which there happen to be a lot of). The only difference was their choice of scapegoat. Trump goes with immigrants, non-Christians, non-whites, whereas Bernie went with the rich and powerful. Same formula though. And they targeted the same type of people; those that are frustrated with where they are and want someone (other than themselves) to blame for their situation. So the audience is the same, the type of rhetoric is the same...will one group then fall into the other? I think there will be a decent number. They're all desperate for change because they think it will help them out of their current situation (which in reality is self imposed), so even if it is not the change they want, they will still go for a change. So yeah, I could see it.

. And you are wrong. Getting awfully broadbrushed in your stereotyping there, Hoss.

2016-06-10 10:41 AM
    in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I know several Republicans that will not vote for Trump - none of them will vote for Hillary either.  Not sure about Bernie supporters.  My next door neighbor has a Bernie sticker on her car and was a huge Obama supporter.  I'm interested to see if she will switch to a Hillary sticker and yard sign.

2016-06-10 1:47 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by mdg2003

. And you are wrong. Getting awfully broadbrushed in your stereotyping there, Hoss.

Good counterpoint. Well thought out and succinct.

What the heck is a "hoss"?
    2016-06-10 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

Originally posted by 3mar Bernie and Trump both utilize demagogic rhetoric to gain power, bantering towards frustrated people (which there happen to be a lot of). The only difference was their choice of scapegoat. Trump goes with immigrants, non-Christians, non-whites, whereas Bernie went with the rich and powerful. Same formula though. And they targeted the same type of people; those that are frustrated with where they are and want someone (other than themselves) to blame for their situation. So the audience is the same, the type of rhetoric is the same...will one group then fall into the other? I think there will be a decent number. They're all desperate for change because they think it will help them out of their current situation (which in reality is self imposed), so even if it is not the change they want, they will still go for a change. So yeah, I could see it.
    Good counterpoint. Well thought out and succinct. What the heck is a "hoss"?

I think its a horse in southern

2016-06-10 2:03 PM
    in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

(hoss.jpg)

Attachments
    ----------------
    hoss.jpg (21KB - 0 downloads)
    2016-06-10 2:11 PM
    in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Elite
    Originally posted by Hook'em

I know several Republicans that will not vote for Trump - none of them will vote for Hillary either.  Not sure about Bernie supporters.  My next door neighbor has a Bernie sticker on her car and was a huge Obama supporter.  I'm interested to see if she will switch to a Hillary sticker and yard sign.

I consider myself a big Obama supporter, donated what I could, had the signs, etc.
    That said, while I expect to vote for Hillary in November, I'm not nearly as excited about HRC. She just doesn't send that tingle down my leg "Chris Matthews-style," like President Obama did and does.

2016-06-10 2:19 PM
    in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

I really don't believe many Bernie Sanders supporters are going to support Trump.  They're more likely to stay home on election day if they won't vote for Clinton.

I suspect Gary Johnson will gain some Bernie Sanders supporters once he concedes the race to Clinton.  I hope Johnson can keep holding 10% or more in national polls so that he can be on the debate stage with Trump and Clinton.  If there is one thing that this election cycle has shown, its people are not happy with the status quo or the choices they've been given with the major two parties.

2016-06-10 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Maryland

I really don't believe many Bernie Sanders supporters are going to support Trump.  They're more likely to stay home on election day if they won't vote for Clinton.

I suspect Gary Johnson will gain some Bernie Sanders supporters once he concedes the race to Clinton.  I hope Johnson can keep holding 10% or more in national polls so that he can be on the debate stage with Trump and Clinton.  If there is one thing that this election cycle has shown, its people are not happy with the status quo or the choices they've been given with the major two parties.

serious question, who is gary Johnson?

2016-06-10 2:30 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
    Well that doesn't look anything like me. To use his stunning argument against him.....And you are wrong. bum bum bum!!

Powerful stuff.

So here's the thing; I grew up in a lower-middle class area (much more lower than middle, with me on the low end of that). Of my counterparts, there were, of course, people that did nothing after high school. Then there were three general groups that pursued something beyond themselves. You had the group that went to the factories to work union jobs and the few folks that decided to scratch by a few more years and invest in college (which sucked because we had to work full time to pay for it to cover what the student loans and poor people grants didn't...which was quite a bit). Of the second crew, you had the dreamer types who felt the world owed them a career that spoke to them, so a lot of them got nonsense liberal arts degrees and racked up a bunch of debt. For others, including me, we decided to take the more grounded route and go into things like Engineering, Law, etc. On my facebook feed, I see that the first two groups, by and large, aren't doing so hot and they are frustrated. The companies have left the state to go to right-to-work states so the union guys are out of work and the folks who racked up debt on college and gained no marketable skills are saddled with student loans and no good job prospects (who knew 17th Century French Literature wasn't a slam dunk in the job market). The union guys predominantly push for Trump and the liberal arts guys/gals, along with those who didn't do much of anything push for Bernie. And they're all frustrated and angry. I feel that Trump and Bernie play on this and I don't think it's ethical. Rather than confronting the issues, they blame a third party. Scapegoating is never the answer (unless you are using it to gain power...but then it's a crappy answer).

This is a great country, where anyone can rise, IF THEY WANT TO and work for it. It's just like with triathlon. It took me a while to realize it wasn't the genetic freaks winning everything, it was the people who wanted it more and worked harder. No need to blame anyone. Yet both of these candidates did just that.
    2016-06-10 2:33 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
    Originally posted by dmiller5

John Galt?
    2016-06-10 2:34 PM

User image

Elite

Who is Gary Johnson? He's the answer to this future trivia question:
    Ralph Nader was to Al Gore in 2000 as this candidate was to Donald Trump in 2016.

(nah, just kidding, it won't be that close)

2016-06-10 2:42 PM

User image

Come on, now.  Feel the Johnson!

Libertarian candidate for POTUS.  Former Republican governor of New Mexico (a blue state) who governed with a Democrat controlled legislature.  His running mate is Bill Weld, former Republican governor of Mass. (another blue state) who governed with a Democrat controlled legislature.  Someone that social liberal supporters of Bernie Sanders and fiscal conservatives might look at as an alternative to Trump/Clinton.

2016-06-10 8:45 PM

User image

Pro
    Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Come on, now.  Feel the Johnson!

Libertarian candidate for POTUS.  Former Republican governor of New Mexico (a blue state) who governed with a Democrat controlled legislature.  His running mate is Bill Weld, former Republican governor of Mass. (another blue state) who governed with a Democrat controlled legislature.  Someone that social liberal supporters of Bernie Sanders and fiscal conservatives might look at as an alternative to Trump/Clinton.

#feelTheJohnson, #JohnsonRising

I'm a big fan of Gary Johnson.  Socially liberal and fiscally conservative, his platform will resonate with a huge number of people if the R's & D's are forced to include him in the debates, the major polls include him, and the major media outlets give him the exposure they should.

2 terms as a Republican governor in a primarily democratic border state, he was elected by a larger margin his second term as governor than his first.  Also, as a governor of a border state, he arguably has a better understanding of illegal alien issues than almost anybody else inside the beltway.

On top of all that, he's a triathlete!

2016-06-11 1:21 AM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
    Tejas

Originally posted by 3mar Bernie and Trump both utilize demagogic rhetoric to gain power, bantering towards frustrated people (which there happen to be a lot of). The only difference was their choice of scapegoat. Trump goes with immigrants, non-Christians, non-whites, whereas Bernie went with the rich and powerful. Same formula though. And they targeted the same type of people; those that are frustrated with where they are and want someone (other than themselves) to blame for their situation. So the audience is the same, the type of rhetoric is the same...will one group then fall into the other? I think there will be a decent number. They're all desperate for change because they think it will help them out of their current situation (which in reality is self imposed), so even if it is not the change they want, they will still go for a change. So yeah, I could see it.

might be in Boston? We pronounce the rrrrrr when we say horse in "southern".

To be more succinct... On an iPad in the middle of the Med, so I'll be brief. Your characterization of trump supporters is wrong. I'm capable of accepting my role in where I'm at today in life. I've done extremely well for a guy who didn't go to college and am merely tired of being vilified for my success and happiness. That is why I'll vote for trump, though I won't be foaming at the mouth rabid and tingly down my leg when I do it ..

Edited by mdg2003 2016-06-11 1:24 AM
    2016-06-11 1:26 PM
    in reply to: #5186241

As a National Merit Award winner while in foster care who has supported herself since I was sixteen and who single-parented a son who graduated magna cum laude from Berkeley, I know more than anyone else the sick injustices Americans of wealth and privilege bestow so generously to the under -privileged masses. Our government is a function of the desires of the corporacy. Just look at the disaster wrought upon public education: public schools now deliberately undereducate the masses so they will not question the idiocy of a system that deliberately subsidizes food to ensure Americans are sick and obese AND keep wages low. Fat, stupid, sick Americans who literally cannot hoist their bloated bodies off the couch ensure a steady income source for innumerable industries. Think about it. And yes, I do blame idiot politicians and people who think they are special because their mommies and daddies gave them lots of money.
    2016-06-11 3:09 PM
    in reply to: onefinwonder

User image

Champion
    Brooklyn, NY
    Originally posted by onefinwonder

As a National Merit Award winner while in foster care who has supported herself since I was sixteen and who single-parented a son who graduated magna cum laude from Berkeley, I know more than anyone else the sick injustices Americans of wealth and privilege bestow so generously to the under -privileged masses. Our government is a function of the desires of the corporacy. Just look at the disaster wrought upon public education: public schools now deliberately undereducate the masses so they will not question the idiocy of a system that deliberately subsidizes food to ensure Americans are sick and obese AND keep wages low. Fat, stupid, sick Americans who literally cannot hoist their bloated bodies off the couch ensure a steady income source for innumerable industries. Think about it. And yes, I do blame idiot politicians and people who think they are special because their mommies and daddies gave them lots of money.

Welcome.

So, who are you voting for?

2016-06-11 6:05 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

To be more succinct... On an iPad in the middle of the Med, so I'll be brief. Your characterization of trump supporters is wrong. I'm capable of accepting my role in where I'm at today in life. I've done extremely well for a guy who didn't go to college and am merely tired of being vilified for my success and happiness. That is why I'll vote for trump, though I won't be foaming at the mouth rabid and tingly down my leg when I do it ..

College doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to do with success in my experience. If you're the type to be successful, you will be, especially in business. It's one of those things you have or you don't.

Trump would benefit me the most financially as well, but he's nuts, racist and would be a disaster in international relations. The extra money at tax time, just isn't worth it to me. You also have to admit he is pandering to the angry masses.
    2016-06-12 11:42 AM

User image

Pro
    Tejas

College doesn't have a whole heck of a lot to do with success in my experience. If you're the type to be successful, you will be, especially in business. It's one of those things you have or you don't.

Trump would benefit me the most financially as well, but he's nuts, racist and would be a disaster in international relations. The extra money at tax time, just isn't worth it to me. You also have to admit he is pandering to the angry masses.
    they all pander to the angry masses IMO, he has tapped into that anger. So has Bernie and Hillary. Now the question seems to be whose anger is more important or justified? Sorry, would like to add more,but stil iPad-Ing it.
    2016-06-12 6:19 PM

User image

Champion
    Brooklyn, NY

they all pander to the angry masses IMO, he has tapped into that anger. So has Bernie and Hillary. Now the question seems to be whose anger is more important or justified? Sorry, would like to add more,but stil iPad-Ing it.

Yet another example of trying to have it both ways with Hillary (People say she's cold, but also that she's too emotional. People say she's a fanatic but also that she represents the establishment. ) Haven't you been saying that she represent the establishment and would just continue to uphold the status quo? If so, who are the "angry masses" she's appealing to. Bernie has been vilifying Wall Street and the 1% and Trump has been vilifying brown people and the poor. Hillary has, on the contrary, had a message of pretty much maintaining the status quo. Who are the angry masses she's appealing go?
    2016-06-14 8:22 AM
    in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro
    Tejas
    I'm not sure where I said she represents the establishment, but I do believe she does. The establishment candidates were Hilarry and Jeb. Nobody can argue that point. Being establishment or not isn't really an issue I care to get sidetracked on. I feel both Hillary and Jeb represent what I don't want to see in my government, so I don't support either.

You can't really deny that the democrat party uses class disparity and race baiting to anger the masses. One of the pillars of the party platform is making successful people the boogeyman. The message being that success is only available to white males; it appeals to and angers the masses. The party excels at this tactic and should be commended for their ability to promote it IMO. The repubs don't have a freaking clue how to counter this and step on the collective weiners every time they do!

Not sure where trump vilifies 'brown people.' I think he has vilified a bunch of people that are breaking the laws in my country. That they happen to be brown is something you and his opponents are pointing out, not him. Yes, he went out of bounds on the muslim thing. Are they all brown? Not most of the ones I've met. My oldest just did a cultural exchange program in Berlin through her college. Several days were spent with Muslim immigrant families in Germany. They are as scared of us as some of us are of them! My daughter was able to spend time with her Muslim peers and was able to convince them that there is a place for them in the US. And that would probably be more accepted here in the US than they are in Germany. Apparently there is zero tolerance of Muslims over there. At least that was my daughter's take on the situation.

Off topic, but something I heard on the radio when we were in Rome. The words Trump and antichristo were the lead in and I wasn't able to understand the rest of it! It is the same my daughter heard all month in Berlin. Yeah, Europe is shiiiting their collective pants over the prospect of a trump presidency!
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » What do you think? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

What do you think of this?

Started by Left Brain
    Views: 672 Posts: 6

2013-10-14 3:14 PM Left Brain

I think we need better gun control...

Started by tuwood
    Views: 2048 Posts: 19

2013-09-27 6:08 AM DanielG

Just when you think life can't get any worse

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
    Views: 1038 Posts: 3

2013-08-16 10:17 AM Pector55
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : April 28, 2011
    author : fivecents
    comments : 5
    What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
    date : October 7, 2008
    author : Coach AJ
    comments : 0
    I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
    author : scoli121
    comments : 6
    I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"