General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon training plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-11 4:43 PM

User image

Subject: Marathon training plan
Hi!

I'm hoping to run my first marathon in October. Because of an injury during a 15 mile mountain race this winter, I am very out of shape compared to what I was, so I probably need to start at a beginner level.

Do any of you know of any free marathon trainer plans for beginners?

Thank you!

2016-06-11 7:33 PM
in reply to: TriCDA

User image

Subject: RE: Marathon training plan
There are lots of free training programs out there.

Hal Higdon's are popular with beginners (www.halhigdon.com) but there are lots of others. There's also the Hanson plans and they have a beginner plan (although it's higher mileage than many people think for true beginners).

I used to like the Runner's World "Rookie" plan, but I don't think that's online anymore. I think I still have it so can send it to you if you want.
2016-06-12 6:32 AM

User image

I started with Hal Higdon's. He has a number of different ones and you can always bump up to the next level if you find the beginner's too easy.
2016-06-13 12:40 PM

User image

I want to piggy back on this as I am looking to start my marathon training in just over a month! I looked at Hal Higdon and for a period I was planning on doing his novice plan. Then, I remembered my success using Barry P's philosophy for my half marathon and I intended to switch back to that- I really like running the 6 days a week compared to 4 with Hal Higdon, I feel like I will arrive more confident on race day.

However, since I have a month to go before I begin this leaves time for me to research more and fret constantly! I see a lot of talk about how Barry P's method is great for building a base but not necessarily something to build a training a plan off of. I'm looking forward to hearing the advice and thoughts every one else chimes in with.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon training plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Modifying Marathon Training Plan during Vacation?

Started by maxpixie
Views: 685 Posts: 1

2008-08-09 10:10 AM maxpixie

Marathon training plans for me...help?

Started by naners
Views: 913 Posts: 8

2008-05-07 3:51 PM ForrestGump

marathon training plans

Started by tanyab
Views: 1214 Posts: 9

2007-10-07 10:41 AM Atlantia

Marathon Training Plan

Started by slow&steady
Views: 923 Posts: 4

2005-09-27 10:05 PM slow&steady

Half-marathon training plan

Started by igbomb
Views: 1200 Posts: 9

2005-06-02 4:27 PM econway
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Wouldn't it be cool if you could move your workouts around to different days? You can!

date : December 17, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
What if your workouts magically appeared in your calendar?
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 3
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 3:00-4:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.