General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Chews? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-12 7:34 AM

User image

, Jawa Barat
Subject: Best Chews?
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to find an alternative to gu/gels. I hate the texture and basically everything about them, but need some kind of nutrition while training for my IronMan. I am been doing some research and chews look like the only real other option. Can someone help me with choosing the cheapest ones that work? I can't afford to spend 2.50 on one pack of Gatorade chews at the store, so I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction? Thanks.

2016-06-12 9:06 AM
in reply to: JoshuaBlackburn

User image

New user
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Best Chews?
Why not use a powdered sports drink that you mix into a water bottle? Carbo Pro is a big one, I used accelerate for a long time too.
2016-06-12 9:33 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Beyond the need for most people to consume 150-300 calories per hour during the bike and 100-250 per hour during the run, fueling is an individual thing.

Pretty much any source that's mostly easily digested carbohydrates will work.  You don't need to use products like Gatorade, Powerbar, Hammer, Infinit, etc.  Many people use whole foods like bananas, homemade rice balls, potatoes, or other processed foods like fig newtons.

BUT, most people should start by training with whatever is going to be available on the course on race day to see if that works for them.  Living off the course should be your first choice, and carrying all your own fuel the second option.

2016-06-12 11:07 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

, Jawa Barat
Ya, I guess I just need to find something that is more affordable. Buying all these name brand things add up extremely quickly. I do like to live off of the course, but I am just worried about not doing my nutrition correctly. I screwed up as bad as you possibly can the first IronMan I did, and don't want to do it again.
2016-06-13 1:20 AM

Master
, California

I make a lot of my own food for rides while I'm training, like this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bslh-cJnGzs

Also good are small red potatoes - you can cook those, put them in a ziplock with a little salt and they're basically pure starch.

And finally, you can buy bulk maltodextrin for your own drinks if you're just trying to save money.

2016-06-13 3:51 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

, Jawa Barat
You sir, besides be a dirty Seahawks fan, are awesome.

Originally posted by spudone

I make a lot of my own food for rides while I'm training, like this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bslh-cJnGzs

Also good are small red potatoes - you can cook those, put them in a ziplock with a little salt and they're basically pure starch.

And finally, you can buy bulk maltodextrin for your own drinks if you're just trying to save money.

2016-06-13 8:59 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I buy the clif bloks on amazon for $28/pack of 18. I love the margarita w/extra salt. Not too sweet and doesn't leave any aftertaste. I just used them exclusively for IMTX bike nutrition. They're 200/cal per pack, 6 bloks/pack. So I set my bike computer for a 20 minute alarm and ate half a pack (3 bloks) every time it went off. This got me 300cal/hr and was perfect for me.

What I also like about them (and put them ahead of using all liquid nutrition) is I was able to easily have all of my bike nutrition in the back pockets of my castelli T1 top. Put the top on in T1 and good to go.
2016-06-13 9:59 AM

There are TONS of recipes out there for home made bars, gels, etc.

Hell, a good old fashioned PB and J is one of the best training foods for long rides I have ever tried.

2016-06-13 10:02 AM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I like to drink my hydration and eat my nutrition. For the bike, I like Bonk Breakers. They're on the course and my stomach seems to like them. For the run, I like Honey Stinger chews. They don't stick to your teeth like other chews do and they're easy on your stomach.
2016-06-13 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I really like the Cliff Shot Bloks in Margarita flavor. They are more salty which kind of cuts all that syrup flavor. I've used these on the bike for both IM races and use them with water.

http://www.clifbarstore.com/product/clif-shot-bloks-chews-margarita...
2016-06-13 1:25 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Originally posted by Jet Black

I buy the clif bloks on amazon for $28/pack of 18. I love the margarita w/extra salt. Not too sweet and doesn't leave any aftertaste. I just used them exclusively for IMTX bike nutrition. They're 200/cal per pack, 6 bloks/pack. So I set my bike computer for a 20 minute alarm and ate half a pack (3 bloks) every time it went off. This got me 300cal/hr and was perfect for me.

What I also like about them (and put them ahead of using all liquid nutrition) is I was able to easily have all of my bike nutrition in the back pockets of my castelli T1 top. Put the top on in T1 and good to go.

X2, but I'm more of a strawberry guy.

2016-06-13 7:45 PM
in reply to: marti038

User image

, Jawa Barat
Thanks everyone for the replies, I greatly appreciate it. I'm just trying to do my research so I don't screw myself after training so hard for so long.
2016-06-13 8:33 PM
in reply to: #5186470

I just can't do the chews, had a problem with consistency of Gu, and used Clifton Shots even though they tasted terrible. Finally found Stingers and haven't looked back.
2016-06-14 9:42 AM
in reply to: DomerTriGuy

User image

Champion
MA

If you want inexpensive like Don and others have said, anything that is carbs that are easy to digest can work. Avoid products with fat as that effects digestion time. Products like gummy worms/bears are cheap and easy to digest. Plus you can figure out how many you need to eat per hour to get enough calories. They aren't on the course but they fit other perimeters you have brought up. Go to the candy aisle, pick out what you like that is easy to eat while cycling/running, that doesn't stick and get messy, has no or very little fat and give it a go. You could buy them in the smaller packages like for Halloween so they are prepacked and you may eat x number an hour. I used to buy starbursts for my IM training and racing.

2016-06-14 8:19 PM
in reply to: cbrave

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by cbrave

I really like the Cliff Shot Bloks in Margarita flavor. They are more salty which kind of cuts all that syrup flavor. I've used these on the bike for both IM races and use them with water.

http://www.clifbarstore.com/product/clif-shot-bloks-chews-margarita...

I'll second the motion for the Margarita Bloks, if you want to buy a chew that is.
2016-06-15 7:35 AM
in reply to: KathyG

User image

, Jawa Barat
I think I am going to give this a run. Thank you VERY much for the advice. I like the excuse to eat gummy bears, so that is a huge win. I am thinking I am going to use things like this for training, and then the last week or two before the race use the things that will be on the course so I can readjust my body to those things.

I know this next part was not a part of the original thread, but if I use a gel provided on course every 40 min or so, I do not need a special drink do I? I take salt tablets, but should I be drinking a different drink besides water too?

Originally posted by KathyG

If you want inexpensive like Don and others have said, anything that is carbs that are easy to digest can work. Avoid products with fat as that effects digestion time. Products like gummy worms/bears are cheap and easy to digest. Plus you can figure out how many you need to eat per hour to get enough calories. They aren't on the course but they fit other perimeters you have brought up. Go to the candy aisle, pick out what you like that is easy to eat while cycling/running, that doesn't stick and get messy, has no or very little fat and give it a go. You could buy them in the smaller packages like for Halloween so they are prepacked and you may eat x number an hour. I used to buy starbursts for my IM training and racing.

2016-06-15 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Pitted dates?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Chews? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Biting off more than I can chew?

Started by ajdferris
Views: 1847 Posts: 8

2011-07-26 9:17 AM nanners5888

Powerbar Energy Chews

Started by Wojo14
Views: 1229 Posts: 1

2010-09-14 8:11 AM Wojo14

Sharkies Energy Chews

Started by Wojo14
Views: 1622 Posts: 4

2010-08-04 8:14 AM ClassicTRI

Bike Trainer Tire Chewing Problem

Started by ninecrushes
Views: 2468 Posts: 8

2007-12-24 10:54 AM USS Dunphy

Chewing tobacco and training...

Started by bballer2tri
Views: 2355 Posts: 14

2006-07-06 6:56 PM nccgrap
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Searching for the perfect gift for a friend, relative, or teammate? Here's a list of winning book suggestions for active people.

date : May 3, 2005
author : tmwelshy
comments : 18
Extoling the virtues of going for more than you should. It's an odd way to get satisfaction from life, and it’s often painful, but it's my way.