Other Resources The Political Joe » No FB love for Orlando... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-13 6:48 AM

Veteran
Lost, Florida
Subject: No FB love for Orlando...
Why no FB love for Orlando? When the Paris attacks happened everyone changed their profile with the French Flag. When the AF Airman stopped the terrorist in Belgium, everyone shared that story, but little to no love or mention of the Orlando terrorist attack on FB. I've heard some say its because it was a gay night club. But didn't everyone rejoice when the White House put the Rainbow colors on the White House. Isn't society being more open and accepting of this community. Heck, it's LGBT month and this was the worst mass shooting in American history, I would expect more chatter about it, then we're seeing on FB.

Are we just becoming numb and accepting of these terrorist attacks?

Edited by sfm15 2016-06-13 6:49 AM

2016-06-13 7:41 AM
in reply to: sfm15

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: No FB love for Orlando...

I wouldn't have a Facebook account if you paid me a years salary.

2016-06-13 10:07 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

While I don't follow the goings on of Facebook, there has been wall-to-wall coverage of the shooting on every news outlet.  I'm not sure where I heard it, but someone or some group was publishing the statement "We are Pulse" as a tribute to the victims.  I think it was a gay pride rally, but the statement is appropriate for all Americans.  It doesn't matter if your pursuit of happiness takes you to a gay dance club, a sporting event, family gathering, church function, or any where else - we are all people who do not deserve to have lives taken or our peaceful existence marred in this way.

2016-06-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

So FB is the measure nowadays if someone cares about an event? 

You can change your FB profile to whatever you want but it doesn't mean that people don't care about it just because they aren't running to FB to make a "public" statement.

2016-06-13 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by sfm15

Why no FB love for Orlando? When the Paris attacks happened everyone changed their profile with the French Flag. When the AF Airman stopped the terrorist in Belgium, everyone shared that story, but little to no love or mention of the Orlando terrorist attack on FB. I've heard some say its because it was a gay night club. But didn't everyone rejoice when the White House put the Rainbow colors on the White House. Isn't society being more open and accepting of this community. Heck, it's LGBT month and this was the worst mass shooting in American history, I would expect more chatter about it, then we're seeing on FB.

Are we just becoming numb and accepting of these terrorist attacks?

I'm heartbroken over the Orlando attacks, but I always get frustrated when people try to compare the public reaction to one tragedy to another. I can remember lots of FB posts admonishing people for apparently caring more about the Paris attacks than other terrorist attacks elsewhere, because there was no hashtag or FB theme recognizing the other events.

I don't see what good that line of thinking does anyone. Whether or how you grieve is entirely up to you. That said, there's probably some truth to your suspicion. Just as having a black president didn't signify the end of racial discrimination, don't expect the end of DOMA and the rainbow flag on the white house to signify that homophobia no longer exists.

Personally, it's all anyone on my fb feed is talking about.
2016-06-13 12:34 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Pro

I know this much,.....if I hear one more damn person arguing that this is a hate crime against the LGBT community and not Islamic Terrorism, or that it is Islamic Terrorism and not a hate crime, I'm going to chuck this computer out the window.   We can have that discussion when we get the services for these folks done. 

It just seems like people can't wait to get their issue front and center......no matter how much blood or how much pain others suffer.  It's forking despicable.

2016-06-13 3:02 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

My daughter lives in Orlando, we have friends in Orlando, my cousin's husband works as a LEO in Orlando, the list is fairly long.  FB has little to do with my feelings about Orlando. It was nice to be able to use it to contact some folks, but FB is merely a communication tool in my world.

2016-06-14 8:42 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I think Paris was the first big "change your profile on FB" event and since then there have been a couple others with diminished participation.

I honestly think the change your profile pic for solidarity was just a bit of a short lived fad and has nothing to do with people standing in solidarity with the victims in Orlando.

I've been on the prowl for anyone trying to downplay Orlando due to it being a gay night club and I've yet to see it from anyone.  Our church spent a lot of time talking about and praying for the victims on Sunday and there's been a lot of great stories shared on FB.

Good friend of mine and Pastor of a sister church in Florida posted this video that I thought was quite good.
https://www.facebook.com/PastorChetLowe/videos/1724770477780500/

What pains me is seeing everyone manning their battle stations.  Obama running to "gun control", Republicans running to "political correctness".
Right now lets bury our dead and come together as a country and come up with real solutions that are going to make this great country a better place. 

2016-06-14 2:09 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by tuwood

I've been on the prowl for anyone trying to downplay Orlando due to it being a gay night club and I've yet to see it from anyone.   

Agreed. I've actually seen the opposite. Those that would normally oppose gay rights seem to be dropping that in lieu of solidarity. I was flipping through the radio news channels yesterday morning and even a FOX news commentator went off on how it makes no difference whether it was a church, a straight night club, gay night club or school, that in this country we are all Americans and regardless of views, we have the right to be ourselves. I honestly paused on that channel just to hear what outrageous things they'd have to say, only to hear the exact opposite. It could just be that those people lost their lives and perhaps it can shed light on our society that hey...maybe we shouldn't be worrying about who is marrying who.
2016-06-14 10:37 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

What pains me is seeing everyone manning their battle stations.  Obama running to "gun control", Republicans running to "political correctness".
Right now lets bury our dead and come together as a country and come up with real solutions that are going to make this great country a better place. 

But Tony this is what ideologues do. It was Rahm Emanuel that said "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

When people are legitimately concerned over something politicians from both sides jump in to push their agenda, often with little concern for the victims of the "crisis". If they waited for all the facts and some respectful time to allow those genuinely impacted by such an event, the heat may die down an they loose their opportunity to spin.

It was less than 24 hours before gun control and immigration restrictions were front and center.

Here is a wild idea. What if we tend to those who need our help, love and support. Simultaneously we let those charged with such things to figure out what really led up to this tragedy and map a rational strategy to do all we can to prevent it from happening again. I'm sure we have the collective intellect to do this, just as I am sure our political leaders lack the compassionate perspective to lead such an endeavor.

OK, stepping down from my soap box now.
2016-06-15 12:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Stuartap

But Tony this is what ideologues do. It was Rahm Emanuel that said "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." When people are legitimately concerned over something politicians from both sides jump in to push their agenda, often with little concern for the victims of the "crisis". If they waited for all the facts and some respectful time to allow those genuinely impacted by such an event, the heat may die down an they loose their opportunity to spin. It was less than 24 hours before gun control and immigration restrictions were front and center. Here is a wild idea. What if we tend to those who need our help, love and support. Simultaneously we let those charged with such things to figure out what really led up to this tragedy and map a rational strategy to do all we can to prevent it from happening again. I'm sure we have the collective intellect to do this, just as I am sure our political leaders lack the compassionate perspective to lead such an endeavor. OK, stepping down from my soap box now.

It's not a soapbox......it's right on...I applaud you, you got it right!!!

But, don't leave out the media and the thirst that the masses have for what they, and social media (even worse than the news media if that is even possible), have to say.  I promise you, because I have been on the very front line of a mass shooting, that 75% of what you get in that first 24 hours is ABSOLUTE CRAP.  This is no different.

I will say it again.  It's absolutely despicable what some people do to advance their agendas in the immediate aftermath of a tragedy. C'mon dammit....people have been killed....have some respect!!   Go home and hug the people you love and shut up for once. The bullchit you spew is helpful to no one!!

Truly.....fork those people who use the deaths of our fellow man, at the hands of sick bastards, to further their agendas.....on every side..

Edited by Left Brain 2016-06-15 1:09 AM

2016-06-15 4:17 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

But Tony this is what ideologues do. It was Rahm Emanuel that said "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before." When people are legitimately concerned over something politicians from both sides jump in to push their agenda, often with little concern for the victims of the "crisis". If they waited for all the facts and some respectful time to allow those genuinely impacted by such an event, the heat may die down an they loose their opportunity to spin. It was less than 24 hours before gun control and immigration restrictions were front and center. Here is a wild idea. What if we tend to those who need our help, love and support. Simultaneously we let those charged with such things to figure out what really led up to this tragedy and map a rational strategy to do all we can to prevent it from happening again. I'm sure we have the collective intellect to do this, just as I am sure our political leaders lack the compassionate perspective to lead such an endeavor. OK, stepping down from my soap box now.

But, don't leave out the media and the thirst that the masses have for what they, and social media (even worse than the news media if that is even possible), have to say.  I promise you, because I have been on the very front line of a mass shooting, that 75% of what you get in that first 24 hours is ABSOLUTE CRAP.  This is no different.

I will say it again.  It's absolutely despicable what some people do to advance their agendas in the immediate aftermath of a tragedy. C'mon dammit....people have been killed....have some respect!!   Go home and hug the people you love and shut up for once. The bullchit you spew is helpful to no one!!

Truly.....fork those people who use the deaths of our fellow man, at the hands of sick bastards, to further their agendas.....on every side..

so all three of you.  I take it you applaud Hillary Clinton's response and denounce trump's response?

2016-06-15 4:30 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

so all three of you.  I take it you applaud Hillary Clinton's response and denounce trump's response?

I have no idea what either of those boneheads have to say about it.......nor do I care.

2016-06-15 5:13 PM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by dmiller5

What from my comments would lead you to believe I would applaud Hillary's response? She immediately went to gun control. It's nice to say "this is not a time for politics" but fails when it is followed with the same political commentary she has always spouted.

Please reread what I wrote. Like LB I have little use for either candidate.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » No FB love for Orlando... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Crazy friends on FB -- Political Posts

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1339 Posts: 15

2014-01-11 10:28 AM buck1400