General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Aquabike

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ada, Michigan
United States
Tris4Health
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 12m 38s
Overall Rank = 22/24
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 6/12
Pre-race routine:

Got up, had a DC, pumped tires at the car at the hotel so as not to have to lug the bike pump around. Drove to the site and D dropped me off with my gear as there was no parking at the venue and then he shuttled in. Major score of the day was finding the nice clean restrooms near a ball field to be open. SCORE. Walked up to the venue and found my rack in a LONG narrow transition area. Racked did the usual pre-race set up.
Event warmup:

I was already cold and didn't want to be cold AND wet so nothing really. Found D, ate my PBJ for breakfast and waited for the race to start
Swim
  • 42m
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a very sub par performance for me, When I stood up my watch read 42:xx then you had to run a bit to get to the mat. Aquabikes were in the first wave with the men 39 and under and Clydesdales. Which meant there were 12 women in the wave. This was very physical, I got hit a few times. The way out I was doing OK then across the top but then pretty much blinded swimming into the sun. I tried to just follow the other swimmers.
What would you do differently?:

I need to swim more :) Surgery and being sick for nearly 2 months this winter hurt my base for sure. I just need to get in the water more.
Transition 1
  • 04m 50s
Comments:

They had wet suit strippers which was helpful. They also had carpet down the WHOLE WAY thru the swim exit across a street and thru the entire really long transition area which was stellar. I even ran a bit barefooted sans brace!!!

Get back to running?
Bike
  • 3h 25m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I am pretty disappointed in this result but its probably a good indication of where I am at fitness and fatness wise right now. I stopped to help someone I know with her bike and then stopped to try to fix my bike but I doubt both of those incidents cost me more than 3 minutes The first part was going OK. I averaged over 18MPH the first hour. The road was good. Then there were hills, which I am TOTALLY not used to riding. I have determined that anything requiring me to shift into my small ring shall be deemed hilly from here on out. Trying to muscle up without downshifting probably hurt me.

We turned on another road which was OK. Then onto a third which was pretty awful. I hit a bad section of pavement SUPER hard and then my bike was kind of rattling. Then I notice my aerobars are sloping down towards the front tire. I tried to pull them up no go. I stopped and tried to pull them up. Nope. I was unwilling to drag out tools so I just kept going but the decents going back at 28MPH + were a bit sketchy. By mile 45 I was over it and just wanted to be done

There was a bit of wind but it was not bad.

RIDE HILLS!!! Need to find them tho :)
Post race
Warm down:

My race ended when I got across the T2 mat. Racked the bike put on shoes and got my medal etc. Found D and my friend Katy. Went home :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

probably somewhat undertrained. Have not riden outside much mostly due to 1-weather then 2-bike issues,

Event comments:

I would do this one again. It was well organized with lots of folks energized about the start of the season. Lots of work to do for me moving forward.

Last updated: 2016-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:00 | 2112 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/24
Performance: Bad
One big loop
Suit: full
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:25:47 | 56 miles | 16.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 0/24
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-06-13 11:35 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2016-06-14 9:38 AM
in reply to: #5186628

User image

Subject: RE: Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course
I was in your swim wave and agree that it was pretty physical... probably the most physical swim I've had in my limited triathlon experience. The hills east of Saranac were also a bit more than I expected as I've always heard the course described as being flat. Cutlerville road (?) was ROUGH! I thought my bike was going to rattle apart, so you weren't along there either.
2016-06-14 2:21 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

She's back!

Congratulations! :-D

2016-06-15 12:13 PM
in reply to: #5186628

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Whoop whoop, way to go!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Grand Rapids Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Started by Paper Boy
Views: 1404 Posts: 3

2012-06-13 1:56 AM TriMoTri

Started by aquasean
Views: 1688 Posts: 5

2012-06-12 9:14 AM aquasean

Started by BCYoder
Views: 1338 Posts: 3

2012-06-12 8:37 AM rymac

Started by leftrunner
Views: 1630 Posts: 4

2012-06-12 12:45 PM dwpiggott

Started by kdogtoo
Views: 1163 Posts: 1

2012-06-10 8:20 PM kdogtoo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : leighdodd
comments : 0
My issue is that I am currently deployed and training outside is proving difficult, especially on the bike. I have found a safe 10km running loop but I am struggling with the bike training.

date : June 28, 2012
author : writingrunner
How my first half iron distance triathlon brought back feelings of high school competition.
date : February 22, 2011
author : shaunjamison
comments : 1
Ups and downs race report from the Lakes to Pines Sprint Triathlon by a master's aged newbie.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.