General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Self Bike Fitting Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-13 1:04 PM

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: Self Bike Fitting
Looking for some feed back. Sorry about the no shirt I didn't think to grab a better fitting one and the one I had was covering my hip dot.

I got this new to me bike the other day and am trying to do the fit myself. I'm fairly confident that I have the dots in the right spots.

Take a look and let me know what you think. It felt pretty good but it is hard to say.

Attachments
----------------
Me - New Video.pdf (1185KB - 46 downloads)

2016-06-14 7:32 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Self Bike Fitting

Do you plan on riding looking down at your front hub all the time? (joking, but things that happen with the entire back change when you pick your head up to look down the road)

I'll just throw some things out there and you can do with them whatever you'd like.

* That hip dot looks like it's placed a little high. But I don't think that's a huge deal -- I'm not looking at the numbers.

* Biggest issue I see is at the shoulders. Cause could be many things: You might be riding back farther in the saddle than normal, you may be gripping the bars farther out than normal, or you may just have them set up long. But that shoulder angle looks a bit more open than I'd (and most people) find comfortable after very long.

* The knee angle in the first pic looks decent if not just a little open. The second pic, though, with how much that dot looks like it's traveled, makes me think that you may have some hip rocking going on. Try the saddle down just a few mm and see how it feels.

* That third pic illustrates what I was talking about with the head. The straight line between the hip and shoulder doesn't reflect anything about what your back is really doing. I'll be the first to say that very few people ride aero with a truly flat back, but that much hump... Your real hip angle is more open than what you're drawing, and you're bending your back forward to make the reach to the pads.

If it were me, I'd be starting your fit from the front (regardless of the bike you have), and get your fit numbers by moving from the hands backwards. But unfortunately when you're trying to fit a bike you've already got, it goes counter to that.

2016-06-14 10:26 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

, North Carolina
Moved the seat down 5mm and as far forward as it would go.

Attachments
----------------
Bike Ride 4.mp4 (4405KB - 7 downloads)
2016-06-15 7:15 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

From what I can tell by the camera angle, the back looks much better. Put some miles on it and see how it feels.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Self Bike Fitting Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike fit, can multiple bikes work?

Started by gdaxton
Views: 949 Posts: 3

2011-08-03 4:50 PM briderdt

Road bike/tri bike fit question

Started by Timmeh!
Views: 1073 Posts: 4

2008-12-05 9:32 PM KathyG

Fitting a road bike like a tri bike?

Started by chosenprovidence
Views: 1210 Posts: 6

2008-09-01 7:14 PM slusser

Self bike fitting?

Started by ryanlc
Views: 1029 Posts: 6

2007-07-12 4:33 PM ryanlc

Bike Frame Size versus Bike Fit

Started by Jak
Views: 697 Posts: 3

2006-06-10 5:24 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 8, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
I am in the market for a new road bike, at several local bike stores I will test ride several bikes. Other than basic fit and components, how should I compare them while doing a test ride?

date : June 17, 2009
comments : 0
I can run and swim with no problems but when I get on the bike my hamstring starts to tighten up. I had my bike fitted in January and the problem seemed fine until I got out on the roads recently.
date : May 11, 2009
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.

date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!
date : April 14, 2008
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : August 7, 2007
author : sportfactory
Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to long hours spent in one position. These eight tips can help you prevent carpal tunnel syndrome while grinding out those long hours on the bike.
date : June 11, 2007
author : sportfactory
Learning about the proper pedal interface, how to best acheive pedal force, good cycling form and bike fit, we can learn to achieve greater bike speed.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.