General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dry needling anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-13 1:09 PM

User image

Subject: Dry needling anyone?
If you've ever had experience with dry needling for a sports related muscle issue, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

2016-06-13 1:17 PM
in reply to: Fitnessgurl

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Dry needling anyone?

I had it done once for my Achilles.  Notice I said ONCE!

I hated it and I do not think it helped me at all. I thought it hurt a lot also. I had 10 needles in the back of my leg up and down my calf and Achilles area. It really made that area sore for a couple of days. The doctor said I would need another visit to get eth full visit, but I said no way!

While he was inserting the needles, my foot flexed a tad bit and the pain was crazy! I was sweating after he was done.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of dry needling!

But hey, good luck if you decide to try it!

2016-06-13 1:30 PM
in reply to: jford2309

User image

Originally posted by jford2309

I had it done once for my Achilles.  Notice I said ONCE!

I hated it and I do not think it helped me at all. I thought it hurt a lot also. I had 10 needles in the back of my leg up and down my calf and Achilles area. It really made that area sore for a couple of days. The doctor said I would need another visit to get eth full visit, but I said no way!

While he was inserting the needles, my foot flexed a tad bit and the pain was crazy! I was sweating after he was done.

Needless to say, I am not a fan of dry needling!

But hey, good luck if you decide to try it!

Yikes, that sounds terrible! The way the physical therapist who offers it described it, it would be just one needle going in and being manipulated by the therapist. It wouldn't be multiple needles and it wouldn't just stay for minutes as I lay still like acupuncture. I've had acupuncture and like your experience, when I flinched certain spots felt like I was getting stung by bees.
2016-06-13 2:01 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Well one needle would not be bad I don't think, but my experience with dry needling was nothing like acupuncture. I hope it goes better for you, let me know how you like it

2016-06-13 2:58 PM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Keep in mind that dry needling is not in any way regulated. Unlike acupuncture, therapists don't need any kind of license to practice it. That should be enough to make you be cautious of the technique.
I've had several friends use the technique and only one has had a positive experience. One woman was hurt worse by the needles which left a big sub-q hematoma in her leg that then turned into blood clots. That could have easily turned into a stroke or pulmonary clot.
I'd say to look into Acupuncture if needles are what you are seeking. Or perhaps A.R.T. as a different option.
2016-06-13 3:34 PM

User image

I've had it done many times (and so has my wife). Lower back/QL, piriformis, and calf/Achilles. Some of been manually manipulated needles, others have been hooked up to a little electronic firing device. It actually feels good. When they hit the trigger point (?) you can instantly feel it. Only once did he hit a bit of a nerve or something that hurt, so I told him and he pulled it out. I was a bit sore after the sessions, but nothing worse than say a hard workout. I've also had good luck with ART.

The best one was the calf/Achilles. I foam rolled, massaged, couldn't get it to go away. One session of dry needling, one day of rest, and it was gone. I would ask around and make sure you find a reputable place with good reviews.

Man, this post made me think back... I've been injured too much.

2016-06-14 9:43 AM
in reply to: tjones2k9

User image

Veteran
Denver area
For me, sometimes dry needling is the ONLY thing that will get my muscles to loosen up. I get needled by my PT/chiro. It doesn't feel "good" while its going, but the pain is very short (15 seconds). The needle is inserted where you have knots - your muscle will contract around the needle and loosen up. You'll be pretty sore for the rest of the day (its like a controlled muscle cramp), so I like to use a heating pad. But the next day is MAGIC. Everything is loose and happy.
2016-06-14 9:57 AM

User image

I'm curious to see what other people have to say as I've been struggling with my IT band since last October and am running out of options. Someone suggested this but it sounds/feels a bit quackish.
2016-06-14 1:50 PM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Originally posted by mountain_erin

For me, sometimes dry needling is the ONLY thing that will get my muscles to loosen up. I get needled by my PT/chiro. It doesn't feel "good" while its going, but the pain is very short (15 seconds). The needle is inserted where you have knots - your muscle will contract around the needle and loosen up. You'll be pretty sore for the rest of the day (its like a controlled muscle cramp), so I like to use a heating pad. But the next day is MAGIC. Everything is loose and happy.

Oh boy, that was the experience I was hoping to hear :-)
2016-06-14 2:02 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
There's a recent study where it performed even worse than placebo.

Shane
2016-06-14 2:50 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

New user
Overland Park, KS
Placebo is a pretty effective treatment for many ailments ;-)

That being said, I used to frequent a chiropractor who also did ART, Graston, & dry needling. From my experience the dry needling with electro-stim was effective at releasing cramped muscles.

Originally posted by gsmacleod

Shane

2016-06-15 10:14 AM

User image

Shane

Interesting......link to study? Do you know who funded it? That always helps me decided how much faith to put in it.
2016-06-15 11:41 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Originally posted by Fitnessgurl

Shane

Interesting......link to study? Do you know who funded it? That always helps me decided how much faith to put in it.

I remembered it being a stand-alone study however it was a meta-analysis:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26946612

Shane
2016-06-15 12:37 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I watched it being done once.  That was enough for me to say "Nope, no thank you!"

2016-06-15 12:41 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Shane

But how did it compare to Reiki?
2016-06-15 2:06 PM

User image

Shane

I remembered it being a stand-alone study however it was a meta-analysis:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26946612

Shane

Looks like the studies in direct relation to the hamstring (my source of contention) are fairly limited.

The price is reasonable, the PT administering is trusted and highly regarded by our local triathlon community (and is a triathlete himself) and I know him personally. I'm giving it a try and I'll let everyone know how it goes. I've tried pretty much everything else over the course of about a year so I figure why not.

2016-06-15 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Fitnessgurl If you've ever had experience with dry needling for a sports related muscle issue, I'd love to hear about it. Thanks!

I've had very good experiences with dry needling from my PT.  It does sometimes cause soreness the next day but it does work resolve the issue.  I'm a sissy when it comes to needles so I can't look but I've been happy with the results.

2016-06-15 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by gsmacleod There's a recent study where it performed even worse than placebo. Shane
I remembered it being a stand-alone study however it was a meta-analysis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26946612Shane
Looks like the studies in direct relation to the hamstring (my source of contention) are fairly limited. The price is reasonable, the PT administering is trusted and highly regarded by our local triathlon community (and is a triathlete himself) and I know him personally. I'm giving it a try and I'll let everyone know how it goes. I've tried pretty much everything else over the course of about a year so I figure why not.

Yes, please report back.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dry needling anyone? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Needle in a Haystack - USAT Rankings

Started by spalek
Views: 938 Posts: 3

2011-09-24 7:15 AM slornow

Calf needling / permanent damage?

Started by mxr746
Views: 1415 Posts: 6

2011-07-24 9:01 AM COSkiGirl

Needles

Started by Brock Samson
Views: 1197 Posts: 4

2009-10-15 7:10 AM tridantri

This guy deserves the needle. Pages: 1 2

Started by Trail_Runner
Views: 2589 Posts: 43

2008-06-03 12:38 PM aggiecatcher

Needle...won't...move

Started by Journo
Views: 882 Posts: 7

2006-12-25 8:49 AM trisportnick
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 29, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Character attributes and temperament of successful triathletes.

date : June 4, 2006
author : robinskj
comments : 0
You don't have to wait for lost pounds, a new bike, more time to train, etc. Work with what you've got right now, and go for it!
date : September 3, 2005
author : trad_it
comments : 0
Now, for the last 20 years I’ve always though that jogging seemed about as interesting as watching paint dry, and you know what? That’s how it turned out to be.