General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Sores Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-13 2:03 PM

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: Saddle Sores
Has anyone experienced new onset of saddle sores with increased bike mileage? I never had a problem in this department, but my last 2 long rides I developed sores. Oddly one side much worse than the other. I have an appointment with the guy who did my fit in a few days, so hopefully an adjustment can resolve this.

Any tips on healing this quickly, I am 6 weeks out from my Ironman and this weekend I have a race. Thanks!

2016-06-13 6:32 PM
in reply to: NurseHeather

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Saddle Sores
Use chamois cream liberally.
Change out of your bike shorts and shower IMMEDIATELY after a ride.
Apply tea tree oil to the area after you're dried off and then reapply periodically throughout the day.
2016-06-14 6:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Never reuse bike shorts. Here's my secret I discovered:

Buy medical/surgical soap and wash that region after a long ride with it (the stuff that comes out of a pump). If I notice any bumps down there then after I shower, I put rubbing alcohol down there with a cotton ball. Then use some 20-30% Salicylic Acid Skin Peel and leave on for 2-5 minutes, depending on how much of a resistance I built up. Wash with clean water. If they are small bumps/starting signs of infection, then they should go away by morning. If not, the acid peal should get them to create a head that you can drain with a pin by morning time. Painful to drain sometimes but waaaay better then letting it get worst.

Edited by Blastman 2016-06-14 6:45 PM
2016-06-15 9:47 AM
in reply to: Blastman

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Thanks guys. One thing I have not been doing is showering immediately bc I have to drive to ride long. I am going to start washing up and changing to clean shorts before I drive home.

This past weekend I used a new (woman specific) cream and thought it was working bc I really had little saddle discomfort while riding, so I was surprised to find I had the worst ever saddle sores when I got home. Do you reapply during long rides and races? How do you carry that on you? My jersey pocket is full with fuel and sunscreen.

Since the weekend I have been washing the trouble area with Hibiclens and I have noticed it is drying out (sorry this is awful to talk about but I'm desperate!), dry is good or do I want to moisturize?

I am going to pick up some of the tea tree oil tonight, I did read that on the interwebs. Thanks.

Tomorrow, I have an appointment at another bike shop look at my fit / saddle.
2016-06-16 5:56 PM
in reply to: NurseHeather

User image

I personally just use Vaseline down there (both front and back). I even have some in transition for Olympic of higher and just shove it down there during T1. I never tried anything else since this always worked for me. I started off running 5 years ago and after ~10 miles or so it became evident I need something where the sun doesn't shine. I just need to apply once and it's gotten me though Ironmans before.

As for the dryness. I can't say for sure. I don't use the soap always. I would apply every day if had an active case of it but I tend to just apply after long rides or if I can tell during my shower that things are too sensitive down there to be normal. I know the soap you're supposed leave the skin exposed to air (meaning no lotion) for an hour-ish so it can do its thing. For the salicylic acid (again HIGHLY recommend to get rid of the sores), I'd wash it off afterwards and leave as-is. You can put lotion on though and if I'm trying to clear something up on my face, I'll do just that. I just never needed to put lotion down there. If it's really dry, it's worth a shot.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle Sores Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Is it a saddle sore and what do I do

Started by k_hase
Views: 1037 Posts: 3

2008-09-29 11:21 AM k_hase

Saddle Sore

Started by mattb1
Views: 846 Posts: 1

2008-08-14 10:07 AM mattb1

saddle sore

Started by davetri1
Views: 1173 Posts: 6

2007-07-30 3:37 PM running2far

sensitive issue - saddle sores....

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1470 Posts: 12

2006-11-16 1:34 PM yaqui

Saddle sores

Started by xbumblebeex
Views: 3218 Posts: 20

2005-09-29 8:39 PM Steve-
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : November 3, 2008
author : AMSSM
While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.
date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : January 29, 2006
Apparently I have tendonitis in my left shoulder and will start PT next week. Are there drills/ strokes that I can do that won't keep my shoulder from healing?
date : January 1, 2006
I have a marathon scheduled for Dec. 4th but I woke up this morning and the tendon on the back of my leg (behind the Knee) is really sore.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.