General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Young Luddites in Tri?!?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-14 3:57 AM

Subject: Young Luddites in Tri?!?!
beginnertriathlete.com'ers greetings and salutations,
So, I was talking with some guys from a group that I ride with on occasion and PMs came up. Two guys in the group, both younger were really anti PM and it kinda blew my mind. So much so that I went online (which led me here!). I have been wondering if there is some kinda resurgence of Luddite-ism happening among the youth that I am not aware of... Any of you seeing this? These guys are not the fastest cyclist in the world, go figure, but any of you out there eschewing PMs for some reason? tech stuff? Are PMs bad mojo? Why would you not want hard data about your riding?
Dazed and confused.

Edited by KenVelo 2016-06-14 3:58 AM

2016-06-14 8:52 AM
in reply to: KenVelo

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Young Luddites in Tri?!?!
Because I can't afford it. I would love to be able to have every gadget, and I love data and metrics, but I like to have a roof over my head more. Maybe if they're young they don't have the expendable income, but don't feel comfortable saying that outright?
2016-06-14 9:35 AM

User image

Why would they want data they aren't going to use? Not everyone likes to overanalyze things. Maybe they like to ride by feel. Why don't you ask them? Why do you care?
2016-06-14 10:25 AM
in reply to: 0

Of course they weren't the fastest cyclists, because EVERYONE knows that spending 700 bucks on a PM, 10k on the newest superbike, 2500 on wheels, 400 on the latest greatest helmet, 400 on a speed suit, etc is MUCH more impotant than spending time in the saddle training. Duh.

Having a PM doesn't make someone fast or slow. It's another very helpful tool, but not the end all be all and some people, both young and old, either can't afford them or can't justify the expense. It has nothing to do with the talent level.

Edited by davejustdave 2016-06-14 10:27 AM
2016-06-14 10:32 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Roadies ride and keep up with the group, and spend most of their time outside riding. Triathletes are strange people looking at power numbers on a trainer all the time.

If your outside and don't have enough power to get up the hill you will know it without an high priced electrical gizmo telling you so.
2016-06-14 10:39 AM

User image

Power meter (followed closely by a fit and a coach) was probably the best money spent on triathlon for me. YMMV. Of course, the coach and plan allow me to extract as much benefit as I can (and the proof is in the pudding so to speak). so without a reason for using one, and knowing how to use one, it's just a glorified bike computer. Can you get faster without one? Sure. Lots of ways to skin a cat

eta this is written by the guy with the bike with 105 components and a $90 wheel cover on a 32 spoke training wheel. Fun to pass $10k bikes with my rig.

Edited by ChrisM 2016-06-14 10:42 AM

2016-06-14 11:03 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Pro

No, there is no resurgence.......really fast young riders use PM's....at least the ones I know do.

2016-06-14 7:51 PM

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to NOT use a powermeter (intentionally) for training, even while seeking to be the best. 

A surprising number of top pros do exactly this. They could easily get the latest/greatest powermeters but they've often found they train better without them. 

Negatives to the PM:

- You get 'tied to the number.' Rather than paying attention to your body, you pay too much attention to the powermeter number. Countless AGers have blown up on the bike leg on race day because the religiously followed their PM target and not paying attention to the reality that they were not feeling in top A form, racing in hotter temps than usual, gassed on the swim more than expected, etc. 

- You might not push as hard. I know, most here will say 'well Trainerroad and powermeters made me train harder', but for a lot of young fast athletes, they'll push harder than ever with a fast group and guys they have to chase. Without the powermeter, you just gun it - you don't start freaking out when the numbers are higher than you imagined you could hold. 

And just as importantly - the cold, hard reality of powermeters is that the (vast) majority of well intentioned AGers who get powermeters intending to take their bike splits to the next level, never end up doing that. They stay pretty much the same speed, but now they can tell you their TSS, VI,  FTP, target race FTP, and all sorts of arcane-sounding numbers with frightening objectivity. If you're into that, then def get a powermeter -you'll love it. If you're into getting faster though - the powermeter is merely a tool, and it's your hard work and not the powermeter than will make you faster.

2016-06-14 8:23 PM

User image

You do realize that you described the negatives of a PM as 1. You'll go too hard and 2. You won't go hard enough. LOL. If someone has shyte execution they're gonna screw up PM or not

At least you were somewhat objective. it's always interesting to me why this question always devolves for some to a judgment about the people that use them rather than an objective fact based discussion of PMs.

Carry on

Edited by ChrisM 2016-06-14 8:25 PM

2016-06-14 9:01 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Yup I in fact totally realized that. 

PMs can be both good and bad - even simultaneously. 

2016-06-14 10:02 PM

User image

Originally posted by yazmaster

Yup I in fact totally realized that. 

PMs can be both good and bad - even simultaneously. 

Well you listed them both as negatives, so.... PMs aren't good or bad. The folks using them (or HR orRPE or....) are good or bad. PMs are exactly neutral

Edited by ChrisM 2016-06-14 10:06 PM

2016-06-15 8:52 AM

Sarasota, Florida
I'm actually against pedals. It makes the transition to running easier.
Xterra-1819
2016-06-15 8:59 AM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by davejustdave Of course they weren't the fastest cyclists, because EVERYONE knows that spending 700 bucks on a PM, 10k on the newest superbike, 2500 on wheels, 400 on the latest greatest helmet, 400 on a speed suit, etc is MUCH more impotant than spending time in the saddle training. Duh. Having a PM doesn't make someone fast or slow. It's another very helpful tool, but not the end all be all and some people, both young and old, either can't afford them or can't justify the expense. It has nothing to do with the talent level.

I have a power meter and all that stuff, and I'm faster than you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Young Luddites in Tri?!?! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

how young is too young? Pages: 1 2

Started by falconsprint63
Views: 2730 Posts: 29

2012-06-26 8:45 PM falconsprint63

How young is to young?

Started by Wesley12
Views: 2044 Posts: 13

2011-06-02 5:12 PM dano-oly

How young is too young to run a marathon?

Started by Aikidoman
Views: 1709 Posts: 25

2009-09-30 11:54 AM aspeelma

Young Newbie help

Started by Hermom
Views: 1159 Posts: 8

2004-01-25 2:39 PM Hermom

Young and New

Started by Alexis
Views: 1117 Posts: 2

2003-05-25 5:41 AM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 31, 2011
author : Mandoline
comments : 6
The epic adventure of my first Olympic Tri at 13 years old.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : February 5, 2008
author : DominiqueL
comments : 1
A product review of the Louis Garneau Tri Air Triathlon Shoe. After nearly two years of testing, see how this shoe performed. Currently being replaced by the Tri Air 2.
date : January 1, 2008
author : agrace
comments : 4
I couldn’t help but feel that the race had beaten me. Perhaps duathlons were more for me? No, I was more determined than ever to succeed. I was determined to get on top of my swimming.

date : December 31, 2006
author : docgill
comments : 0
This life of mine is not so different from yours. It has a multitude of similarities. I suffer from uncertainty, I get nervous at the thought of registering and when getting to the starting line.
date : May 1, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 9
I am not going to buy a tri-suit before my first tri - I want to make sure I am going to stick with this before I spend a lot of money on it so I want to figure out what will work best.

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
comments : 0
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.