Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Summer Reading Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-14 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: Summer Reading
What is everyone reading this summer? I'm currently working thru many of the books on Reese Witherspoon's book club list. Found Liane Moriaty because of the list and have read most of hers. Loved "The Forger", "Second Life", and especially "In a Dark, Dark Woods". I don't recommend "The Engagements" and I could instantly tell I needed to stay away from "The Luckiest Girl". Have three more on the list that I'm about to start.

Also hubby and I are both reading things now on investments and retirement (Yes, please I want retirement soon.) Enjoyed much of "How to Make your Money Last" by Jane Bryant Quinn.

Anyone have other recommendations or just want to talk about the books they have read? I am more into fiction - suspense, mysteries, comedy, non gruesome murder. But I know others like all kinds of different books so speak up.

2016-06-14 12:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Summer Reading

Have you read any Mark Edwards?  I started with "Follow You Home", got hooked, and read the rest of his stand-alone works ("The Magpies", "Because She Loves Me", "What You Wish For" and I think another that I can't remember the name of).  He has some collaborations with Louise Voss but I didn't read those and can't comment.  The works I mentioned are psychological thrillers that take place in or near the UK, Mark's homeland, so his stories use British slang and terms which is fun because it's novel to me.

I'm currently working on Stephen King's latest in the Bill Hodge's series, "End of Watch".  I just started it last night.

Edited by melbo55 2016-06-14 12:42 PM
2016-06-14 8:18 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I cried myself across the Pacific reading "Sarah's Key" (Tatiana de Rosnay) on Sunday. Recommended only if you like tear-jerker books. Two parallel stories of an American journalist in France and fate of the Jewish family who used to live in her in-laws' apartment.
2016-06-30 9:48 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Melanie, you are the second person to recommend Mark Edwards and I need to try him. I get most of my books thru the library because I do the audios and dadgum, they don't have a single Edwards book. I'll have to go buy.

And I'll go research Sarah's Key. If it deals with WWII events, I may have to wait a while. Just finished "All the Light We Cannot See" which was in WWII and I can't go back into that period right now. Well, I say that but I just started "The Muralist" which is partly in 1939/1940 and it looks like a lot of the war will be part of this one too.

Thanks for the suggestions!
2016-06-30 8:03 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Odd you should mention it--my last tearful flight across the Pacific involved none other than "All the Light We Cannot See". I agree--too many of those books too close together is not a good reading diet. It's tied up with a lot of family history (those who didn't leave Germany; my grandparents came to the US before the war) so it tends to both fascinate and horrify me in a pretty personal way.

Right now am reading Paul Theroux's latest book, Deep South. I like his writing in general and this one is quite different from a lot of his earlier books--he keeps coming back over and over to the same small towns and talking with ordinary people from all walks of life. We don't have quite the same racial issues here in Oregon, but the same kind of dying rural communities are all over the West, too (I once taught in one), and I felt like he did a good job of portraying a changing and perhaps dying way of life.
2016-07-03 8:11 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Right now I'm reading "Desert Solitaire" by Edward Abbey, which chronicles his time living as a park ranger in Arches National park, more or less alone in the desert with his thoughts. He has a very colorful way of describing things, such as your inevitable death when you run out of water in the desert: "Someday, never fear, your bare elegant bones will be discovered and wondered and marveled at."

2016-07-04 7:21 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by trijamie

Right now I'm reading "Desert Solitaire" by Edward Abbey, which chronicles his time living as a park ranger in Arches National park, more or less alone in the desert with his thoughts. He has a very colorful way of describing things, such as your inevitable death when you run out of water in the desert: "Someday, never fear, your bare elegant bones will be discovered and wondered and marveled at."

Desert Solitaire is now on my list. Our family loves the National Park system, particularly the ones in Utah. So much so, that if the flights hold, the wife and I are planning on running up to Bryce canyon for an extended weekend this Friday, mostly to get out of the heat and test hike for Yosemite back country and Mammoth area the following week! We hope to do some long term volunteer work within the system when I retire. Hopefully Mr. Abbey will convince me that it's a good idea?

I'm bingeing on David Baldacci right now. I usually don't get into politics/law spy thrillers, but for some reason they are holding me hostage this summer!

Edited by mdg2003 2016-07-04 7:22 AM
2016-07-04 11:29 AM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by mdg2003
Originally posted by trijamie

Desert Solitaire is now on my list. Our family loves the National Park system, particularly the ones in Utah. So much so, that if the flights hold, the wife and I are planning on running up to Bryce canyon for an extended weekend this Friday, mostly to get out of the heat and test hike for Yosemite back country and Mammoth area the following week! We hope to do some long term volunteer work within the system when I retire. Hopefully Mr. Abbey will convince me that it's a good idea? I'm bingeing on David Baldacci right now. I usually don't get into politics/law spy thrillers, but for some reason they are holding me hostage this summer!

It certainly looks like an excellent way to retire. I've met a lot of people in the parks who spend their retirement living out of an RV or the housing provided by the parks system. I talked with a lady at big bend back in May who was doing just that, and even had a little garden growing on the dash board of her RV. Not much to do except mingle with the visitors and enjoy the view. Can I retire yet?

I'm only half way through the book, but there's definitely some tension that exists between Abbey and the parks system, and the rest of humanity for that matter. At one point I wasn't sure if he was joking, but I think he was being serious, in that he thinks roads shouldn't exist in the parks, and instead people should just have to hike all the way in. As for seniors, he says that they should have enjoyed it when they were young, so tough luck. And to parents with kids too young to walk that far, give them a few years to grow and then they can go.

Have a blast out at Bryce, I love it out there. Looks like it's made of cheddar cheese.

2016-07-04 1:27 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Pro
Tejas
I just downloaded and read the free chapter and am going to buy the book later today. I look forward to hearing about his opinions on Arches and it's subsequent development. It's one of this parks that are really geared to drive-park-walk 200 yards and see the natural wonders. Yellowstone is a lot like that too or at least that is my opinion of it. One big traffic jam and time spent driving in circles looking for parking spots! As much as we love Yosemite, we avoid the valley and try to stay up on Tioga road for the same reason.

There's a lot anti-development sentiment when it comes to our wilderness areas and parks. I had an ongoing two day discussion with a ranger in Yosemite several years back. He gave a presentation on the Wilderness Act around the campfire at Lake Merced HSC. It as a group participation event and led to a lively discussion. There happened to be an oil company exec in the group and they got into a lively debate! Anyway, Ranger Mike sat with our family for dinner and he let us know his true feelings about the park system. His goal in life was to see all roads, trails, buildings and any other sign of man gone from our NP system, Yosemite being #1 on his list. His first target was the very camp we were sitting in. He felt they would be the easiest thing to eliminate and was actively working behind the scenes to get them removed. He even encouraged us to not use the HSC system in the future. Interesting guy and i've kept my eyes open for him every time we visit the area, but haven't managed to run into him again.

I dug around a bit at volunteer dot org and noticed most of the longer term positions require you to own an RV. I'm not sure RVing is for us, but maybe ten years from now it will be. Looking forward to Bryce, not so much for the hiking, but for heat relief! Highs are supposed to be in low 80s with lows in the 40s. Hopefully we can explore some of the trails south of the main amphitheater during this visit. Normally we just hit Bryce for a day trip with most of our time at Zion, so we have only hiked the trails in the amphitheater. Any recommendations? We enjoy a nice 10+ mile loop...
2016-07-05 9:44 AM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

It's been about 6 years since I've been to Bryce so I can't even remember the names of the trails, so I'm not sure how much advice I can give! I have mixed feelings about park development. As a young, spry adventure seeker, it would be really easy for me to proudly proclaim that the parks should be undeveloped and only accessible to those fit to make the journey, but one day there may not be quite as much cartilage in my knees as I there is now, so I'll appreciate being able to drive up to an overlook. I do think that the south rim of Grand Canyon feels like a shopping mall with it's multiple high class restaurants and endless supply of gift shops. It's about a balance I suppose. If people want roads and gift shops, so be it as long as it isn't too harmful to the environment. Just leave plenty of space untouched so I can get lost for a few days at a time without seeing anything man made. I'm reading another book called "Death Daring and Disaster", a phone book sized collection of search and rescue stories from the national parks, and it talks about how the motto of the parks service is to "Protect the people from the parks and the parks from the people."  That's why only 20 people a day are allowed to visit the wave outside of Kanab. Sure enough, people are going to scratch their names in the walls and leave garbage all over the damn place. 

2016-07-05 12:01 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Pro
Tejas
Meh, plans to visit Bryce are falling apart, not sure we'll get up there this week or not.

I agree that balance is needed. I do like the basic premiss that Abbey proposes. Exception being all those horses. I don't think he thoroughly thought out the logistics of feeding, caring for and cleaning up after that many animals. Plus he's introducing an overabundance of what might be considered a non native species into a habitat. He complains about the eradication of predator species throwing mother nature out of balance, I think a crapton of horses might throw things out of whack too. Half through and really enjoying the read so far. I'll follow your lead and find D,D and D to read next!

Haven't seen the Wave yet. We slept in and missed the drop in lottery last time we were in the area. We weren't there just to see the Wave, so we weren't to upset about missing it. Maybe next time.

2016-07-05 12:12 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

If you like the idea of Death Daring and Disaster, there's another I read recently called "Death in Big Bend". I was reading it while I was actually at the park and had to stop because it freaked me out. I even planned to sleep on the beach at the mouth of the Santa Elena Canyon and ended up chickening out and slept in my car with the doors locked instead. Still, it's a great read that'll remind you to respect mother nature and keep your wits about you in a dangerous environment. It's more story-like, with each chapter being dedicated to another event, whereas Death Daring and Disaster almost reads like a dry reference. Still cool though. It's inspired me to join the TEXSAR volunteer search and rescue organization that has a branch in Austin. Can't wait to go to my first meeting. Maybe I can put my high tolerance of pain and endurance to a good practical use and help others. The inspiring power of books is a wonderful thing.

2016-07-05 9:31 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
On a very different topic, John L. Parker Jr., the guy who Wrote "Once a Runner" and the sequel "Again to Carthage" (runner fiction cult classics, for the uninitiated--I think I read the first one when I was a teenager) has a prequel out, Have tried and failed to find it for months at bookstores, but I was at the library and it occurred to me that of course Eugene would have copies (they do--three, I think). "Racing the Rain", is about Quentin's (the main character's) childhood and first forays into competitive running--basically, from second grade to when he goes to college as a recruit. Not sure if anyone else is a fan of these books, but in my mind, Parker (who actually was a national steeplechase champion and college miler long ago) gets running in a way that no other fiction writer I've read does. Even the title--when I was a kid, I was always racing rain (okay, actually I race it even now in Vietnam), darkness, and the streetlights coming on!

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-07-05 9:33 PM
2016-07-16 7:36 AM

I love the Darkover series by Marion Zimmer Bradley a lot! it's Scifi but also about traveling (but) in this future world
Haruki Murakami has some great books too! Kafka on the beach for example!
2016-07-25 10:48 AM
in reply to: chamina

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Got the John Parker books but haven't started on them. Wish I could find the CDs but only have the books. Right now, with a kitchen model in the works and all of the wallpaper stripping, I haven't been able to read actual books but have definitely been tearing thru the audios while working.

If you like suspense, I recommend The Good Girl by Mary Kubica. I had a little issue with one part of it but I liked the writing and the way things unfold gradually.
2016-08-04 5:26 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
For lighter reading (mostly on airplanes--my daily life once school starts rarely allows much time for reading other than keeping up with my students' Book Club books) with some gentle political satire that spares no nation or politician, I've enjoyed Jonas Jonassen's books, "The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared" and "The Girl Who Saved the King of Sweden".

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Summer Reading Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Summer reading

Started by trijamie
Views: 3066 Posts: 21

2015-10-04 7:13 AM Pink Socks

Mid-summer Reading Recommendations Thread Pages: 1 2 3

Started by the bear
Views: 5051 Posts: 55

2014-07-15 10:21 AM austhokie

Summer Reading Lists anyone? Pages: 1 2

Started by akustix
Views: 2387 Posts: 26

2009-06-29 8:40 AM graceful_dave

Summer Reading? Pages: 1 2

Started by newbiedoo
Views: 3174 Posts: 43

2005-08-01 11:16 AM Chris Tree

Who's reading BT posts on their lunch breaks??

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 1108 Posts: 18

2004-11-19 2:06 PM Lara
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 2, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This summer, I am planning on doing three triathlons. What should my strategy be for training, tapering and resting during, before and after each race?