Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-06-16 2:21 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: Strava Brag...First KOM!
Originally posted by 3mar

Thanks everyone, for the congrats. It wasn't long ago that averaging over 20 mph on a flat windless course seemed like a lofty goal.

Originally posted by ligersandtions

But what happened to your plan to race in only flat locations?

Well, I've put a ton of training time in this winter and really haven't had anything to show for it. My first race was a bit of a cluster (bad seeding in pool swim and bad pacing) then my second race had the swim canceled which takes away my best discipline, so I really wanted to get out there. Sean (Jet Black on here) suggested we do it, so I said what the heck. It's only 1,000 ft of climbing and my 50-60 mile long rides range from 500-600 which feel pancake flat, so I’m not too worried about it. I'm looking forward to dry heat!
Originally posted by Jason N

Originally posted by ligersandtions

plus, real cyclists don't have to balance swimming and running, so we have a built in excuse

ROFL!

Oh yeah, I use this all the time. I was in the pool yesterday and the woman next to me was warming up at almost the pace of my 200 repeats. I just had to tell myself that she was probably a terrible runner .
Originally posted by NeilsWheel

Based on what I saw on Strava, Eric Larson the former KOM lives in Virginia now. I doubt he will come back to reclaim his title. It also doesn't look like a real active loop since Minh Tran is the only other one this month that has done it. He averaged 18.4 so it doesn't sound like he's gunning for you. This may be one of those KOM's that stands for a long time. Congratulations. 24.9 mph is a pretty fast speed. I bet you break an hour for 40K.

I've done the Buffalo springs bike course a few times. It will probably be really hot and windy this year. If you train in Houston, the dry heat around Lubbock will feel like nothing to you. Just stay well hydrated. The course is over 3000ft. Most people will not feel any altitude effect at all. Some people are incredibly sensitive to it. Good luck.

Eric still lives here and the guy gets a KOM just looking at his bike. He is a beast. I'm hoping that considering he has an insane amount of KOMs he won't notice this one. Call me a purist, but to me, the only KOMs I'm interested in are loops (so wind and elevation don't play a role) that are at least 10 miles long, that aren't currently owned by someone riding in a peloton. Those are really hard to find. So if he takes this one back, I'll just have to work harder and try to regain it.

Nice work! I wouldn't be surprised if Eric grabs it back. You get an email from strava when someone steals your KOM, so he's aware. Just hope he's prepping for the state TT out on the course this week instead.

(Neilswheel - he rides zwift all the time and one of the virtual courses was the UCI world championships in Virginia)

2016-06-16 10:04 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Strava Brag...First KOM!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Strava Brag...First KOM! Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Strave Activities

Started by husse23
Views: 973 Posts: 7

2014-06-03 6:07 PM dfroelich

First Sprint Completed! Brag Report

Started by yrobinson
Views: 1911 Posts: 16

2013-01-28 9:48 AM tuwood

Brag post - my first century.

Started by kingofbanff
Views: 1840 Posts: 17

2013-01-12 2:52 PM kingofbanff

Pedal choice for first Tri with bragging rights on the line

Started by remout
Views: 1230 Posts: 14

2012-04-29 9:07 PM Danno77

First 10 mile run (caution-bragging ahead) Pages: 1 2

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1285 Posts: 28

2006-02-06 10:17 PM Tri-It
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Be ready for trouble out on the road

date : September 27, 2012
author : davey m
comments : 3
Deciding on an Ironman as my first venture into triathlon was greeted with incredulity and astonishment combined with a hint of, "well, you're full of yourself aren't you?" and, "a bit ambitious?"
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : August 31, 2011
author : gracetaBitha
comments : 2
What could've gone wrong did not go wrong. Everything that couldn't go right, went right. Result: The most wonderful, perfect, first triathlon for yours truly.
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.
date : February 7, 2007
author : browncd
Twenty years after signing up for my first triathlon, I finally made it...but just in time!

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!