General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie to Tri and newbie to Portland OR Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-09-06 2:36 AM

Subject: Newbie to Tri and newbie to Portland OR
Hey im Sara
I just moved here to portland from the east coast and its amazing here. Ive decided i want to try a TRI and while i have a bit of an excercise plan i have no idea what to do as far as nutrition. I live with 2 male cyclists and their thought of nutrition is eating a lot all hte time... i dont think that will work for me

Sara

2006-09-07 10:22 AM
in reply to: #531808

User image

Master
Denver
Subject: RE: Newbie to Tri and newbie to Portland OR
Actually you'll be surprised. The more calories you burn the more you need to eat. Your trainig will suffer if you don't refill the gas tank.

Basic advice for nutrition is to stay away from the inside of the supermarket where all the processed foods are. Keep to the outside, the fresh fruit & veggies, lean meats, etc. & you'll be fine. I forget the recomended breakdown for how you are supposed to get your calories - I think it's something like 60% from carbs, 30% protein and 10% fats but I could be wrong. There are some good articles on this site outlining these types of things and also have a look thru the nutrition forum. Lots of good info there too. Good luck with your training.
2006-09-07 11:36 PM
in reply to: #531808

User image

Veteran
Eugene, Oregon
Subject: RE: Newbie to Tri and newbie to Portland OR

Hi Sara,

I'm about two hours south of you, in Eugene. Welcome to Oregon and welcome to tri's. I find it's best to eat 60% carbs, 20% pro, and 20% fat although I need to keep my fat at around 15-20 grans. There's a great data base here once you set up your page. The nutrition log will help you keep track.

You can ask me any questions and I'll try to answer them. There is a tri this weekend in Lincoln City, which is on the coast, if you're interested.

Jeff  (lostviking)

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Newbie to Tri and newbie to Portland OR Rss Feed