General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you find the right saddle? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-19 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: How do you find the right saddle?
My first tri bike (2010 P2), I put an ISM saddle on it, because (honestly) they were all the rage, back then. It was WORLDS above the stock saddle, but I really don't know if it was the best fit for me or not.

When I bought a new P2, last fall, it came with an ISM Prologue saddle already on it (stock, from Cervelo). It's fine. No issues. Great? I don't know.

Now, I want to replace the saddle on my road bike. Do any of you use the same saddle on both (all?) bikes? Some of the Cobb saddles look like they'd be comfortable, but there's not a dealer around me (that I can get to return an email!).

How do YOU find the right saddle?

Thanks.

2016-06-19 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: How do you find the right saddle?

Trial and error. It's the only way. Buy multiple types of saddles, try them for a few rides (or one, if that's all you can take). Buy lightly used saddles on eBay, sell your lightly used saddles on eBay. 

Three years ago when we were looking for a new saddle for my daughter, there was an LBS that had a "demo saddle" program.  You could rent a saddle for $10 per week, swap it out for a different one as many times as you like, and when done if you bought a saddle from them then your rental fee was applied to the purchase price. This was damn near perfect. I made her try five different saddles before it turned out #1 was the one she really liked. 

We tried an ISM Adamo, btw. She hated it after 20 miles and wanted to quit, but we out for a 35 mile ride. On the side of the road I swapped my saddle onto her bike and road the Adamo myself. God that thing was awful.

I have four bikes (old road bike, new road bike, P3C, and a tandem which has a fairly generic saddle still).  My new bike is a Specialized Roubaix and it turns out the stock saddle (a Specialized "Body Geometry Phenom Pro") is just fine. I lucked out.  The old road bike saddle is similar in shape but much more padded. I don't need the same padding in 2016 that I liked in 2001 when I first started riding. The tri bike saddle is a Fizik Arione (newer model here), and I love it.  In aero position it's very comfortable, much more so than it looks.  The overall shape of the all four saddles are similar so I guess that's the shape that fits my body.

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-06-19 12:02 PM
2016-06-19 12:00 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
lol.....I JUST bought a Roubaix! I guess I should give the stock saddle a try.....but it's REALLY different than the prologue.....which I like a lot.
2016-06-19 12:04 PM
in reply to: nc452010

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by nc452010 lol.....I JUST bought a Roubaix! I guess I should give the stock saddle a try.....but it's REALLY different than the prologue.....which I like a lot.

I was editing the post above while you posted this.  Yes, give it a try.  The stock Roubaix saddle is much closer in feel to the Arione than it is to the 15 year old saddle on my old road bike.  I also generally wear Pearl Izumi bib shorts on the road bike so I do get a good amount of padding from the chamois.

2016-06-21 4:48 AM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by nc452010 My first tri bike (2010 P2), I put an ISM saddle on it, because (honestly) they were all the rage, back then. It was WORLDS above the stock saddle, but I really don't know if it was the best fit for me or not. When I bought a new P2, last fall, it came with an ISM Prologue saddle already on it (stock, from Cervelo). It's fine. No issues. Great? I don't know. Now, I want to replace the saddle on my road bike. Do any of you use the same saddle on both (all?) bikes? Some of the Cobb saddles look like they'd be comfortable, but there's not a dealer around me (that I can get to return an email!). How do YOU find the right saddle? Thanks.

I have a Cobb saddle on my road bike and love it.  I'd email Cobb directly.  IIRC, they have a program that you can try a few different models before making the final decision.  They also have pretty good information on their website regarding choosing the correct saddle for your needs.

2016-06-21 10:23 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

You can buy from Cobb directly and they have a generous (6 month?) return policy

I have gone through probably 8 saddles in the last ten years trying to find the best one. Think I found it in the Cobb 55. The ism line never worked for me. Also use a different saddle on the road bike as I sit differently on that, whatever it came with

2016-06-21 10:34 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Cobb allows you to return the saddles if you don't like them. So buy try and return as needed.

FYI- John Cobb designed the ISM saddles years ago before he started his own company. The Cobb saddle are basically newer and improved designs.
2016-06-21 10:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

As others have stated....Cobb has great customer service and great saddles.

I purchased my Cobb saddle prior to training for my first IM and loved it. No way I could have survived the long bike rides without switching to the Cobb saddle.
2016-06-21 7:24 PM
in reply to: GODAWGS

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
And, if you message Thomas Gerlach, he will give you a discount code for 10% off a Cobb saddle....
2016-07-11 5:15 PM
in reply to: #5187617

I've had the same saddle (specialized sitero) the last 2 seasons, before that the only saddle I rode was the profile design tri stryke...crappy thing. I never had any problems with the sitero last year, and this year it's hurting me. Is there any logic to this? Nothing has changed in terms of position or anything. I do most ridi ng on my roadie with fizik arione, love that saddle, but like others have said the Tri position is different.
2016-07-11 7:38 PM
in reply to: PBT_2009

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas

Originally posted by PBT_2009 I've had the same saddle (specialized sitero) the last 2 seasons, before that the only saddle I rode was the profile design tri stryke...crappy thing. I never had any problems with the sitero last year, and this year it's hurting me. Is there any logic to this? Nothing has changed in terms of position or anything. I do most ridi ng on my roadie with fizik arione, love that saddle, but like others have said the Tri position is different.

That's funny -- I tried so many expensive "awesome" saddles (a number of Adamo's, a couple Cobb's, and a few others) and couldn't find something that worked for me.  A shop was doing a demo where they had 20+ saddles and I'd already tried nearly half of them.  The guy grabbed a Profile Designs Tri Stryke and I was like, "that is the ugliest saddle I've ever seen....even if it's the most comfortable thing in the world, I'm still not buying it."  I ate my words moments later....and then he told me it was only $60, versus the $200+ saddles that I'd already bought.

Goes to show that we're all different....so many people love Adamo's and Cobb's, and they don't work for me at all....you say the PD Tri Stryke is a "crappy thing" and I love it. 

2016-07-12 5:03 PM
in reply to: #5190407

That is funny, you're right, just goes to show. Sorry I called your favorite saddle crappy :-/ It caused me lots of pain so me and that tri stryke aren't on good terms...haha.
2016-07-13 10:59 AM
in reply to: PBT_2009

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Originally posted by PBT_2009 That is funny, you're right, just goes to show. Sorry I called your favorite saddle crappy :-/ It caused me lots of pain so me and that tri stryke aren't on good terms...haha.

I rode a Tri Stryke for years on my P3C.  Loved it.  Then I tried a Fizik Arione, which I thought I'd hate.  Love it even more than the Tri Stryke, which may have been wearing out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How do you find the right saddle? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Saddle fit. I need a comprehensive system to find the right saddle.

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 901 Posts: 10

2013-04-04 11:00 PM Sprint_DA

Tips for finding the right bike shop

Started by JohnP_NY
Views: 997 Posts: 12

2012-11-19 6:00 PM EKH

finally found the right goggles.

Started by mxr746
Views: 808 Posts: 5

2010-08-20 2:11 PM kziemer

Finding the right Coach?

Started by hrliles
Views: 708 Posts: 3

2009-10-01 7:43 AM kagoscuba

Find the right pace for Swim Training

Started by mermerskins
Views: 1300 Posts: 8

2008-11-02 12:44 AM GordoByrn
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 2
I cannot get comfortable without the nose of the saddle being tilted down. I have tried many different seats and had two professional fittings, but still have excessive numbness and discomfort.

date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.
date : December 19, 2008
author : AMSSM
I just completed my first Ironman season and I was free of injuries. I am now just messing around when I run at a fast pace (for me), I get a shooting pain in my right knee.

date : September 5, 2006
author : Writebrained
The ISM Adamo Racing Saddle is difficult to define. It doesn’t look like a bicycle saddle. It doesn’t mount like a bicycle saddle. And yet, it does feel like a bicycle saddle.