General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what's the scoop on wheelsets? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-21 12:56 PM

Subject: what's the scoop on wheelsets?
As somewhat of a newbie, what is the scoop on wheel sets? I have a $3000 bike, which to me, was expensive, even though I know it is not in the cycling world. But, I can easily make it a $4000 bike with a "better" wheel set. Not to over state the obvious, but I imagine they make you faster? Is there really a discernible difference over, let's say, 25 miles? I'm just trying to understand it, as they seem soooo expensive, and I have trouble wrapping my mind around it. If I had a $1000, I might invest in a power meter, and hopefully get more gains that way.

Ready to be schooled on this!

2016-06-21 1:39 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: RE: what's the scoop on wheelsets?
If I had to choose, it would be a power meter (assuming you are committed to training with it correctly). It will give you more bang for your buck and since it takes time to build, you might as well get it sooner than later. The wheels give instant speed, so they can wait. However, for $1,000 you can likely do both. I regularly see aero wheels with powertap hubs under a grand used. Or you could get a power tap on your aluminum rear wheel with a disc cover and a front carbon aero wheel and get the same effect. Again, you can do that for under 1k if you look.
2016-06-21 2:12 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Define more gains.

Will a PM make you faster the day you install it?

Will the wheels make you faster the day you put them on?

How many triathletes do you see renting PM's for a race?

Again......define more gains.

I have race wheels (actually.....I run them all the time). I have $675 in my 60/90 FLO set. I also plan to add a PM. If I was only going to do short course, I wouldn't even bother with the PM. YMMV (I'm not saying they're useless for short course. I'm saying I wouldn't bother with one if that's all I was going to run).

2016-06-21 3:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

~$700 installed for a low end P2M crank based power meter, about the same or less if you are patient and look here, ST and eBay for a set of FLO Cycling wheels. Paid $650 shipped for my FLO 60/90 set with latex tubes and GP4000 tires via eBay.  FLO recently came out with their new design so the older wheels might be hitting the market. I will be looking at getting the new FLO CC 60 front wheel to replace my old model 60 front in the future.

There's a rule of thumb for aero: 0.1 lbs (50 g) of drag (at 30 mph) = 0.005 m^2 CdA = 0.0005 Crr = 5 W = 0.5 s/km (0.8/mile).

Thing is to pay attention to everything for potential saving, tires, tubes, helmet, and wheels.  Then a PM will help you with control of effort.  I HRM can also do the same thing.  All depends on your testing before racing and understanding RPE can triumph objective feedback on race day. For instance I don't have a PM and can do well with HR for a bike leg of a sprint to HIM.  I ignore it on the run though.

Below are notes I've captured in the past

At 24.86 mph (40 kph):
4.1 Watt savings holding the same speed  At the same power, you could go 0.18 mph faster. This is 26 seconds saved over 40 km (*10W would be 0.44 mph faster or 63 seconds saved)

At 20 mph:
2.2 Watt savings holding the same speed. At the same power, you could go 0.15 mph faster. This is 33 seconds saved over 40 km (*10W would be 0.68 mph faster or 150 seconds saved)

Slower one rides the more time is saved!

@ 20 mph you save 60 s over a 40K for 100 g of drag reduction
@ 25 mph you save 50 s over a 40K for 100 g of drag reduction
@ 30 mph you save 40 s over a 40K for 100 g of drag reduction

Edited by Donto 2016-06-21 3:26 PM
2016-06-21 3:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Burchib

As somewhat of a newbie, what is the scoop on wheel sets? I have a $3000 bike, which to me, was expensive, even though I know it is not in the cycling world. But, I can easily make it a $4000 bike with a "better" wheel set. Not to over state the obvious, but I imagine they make you faster? Is there really a discernible difference over, let's say, 25 miles? I'm just trying to understand it, as they seem soooo expensive, and I have trouble wrapping my mind around it. If I had a $1000, I might invest in a power meter, and hopefully get more gains that way.

Ready to be schooled on this!

Making up numbers

Let's say you don't know but your FTP (power you can generate for an hour) is 190w and you can do a 40km TT in 65min
Buy a set of wheels and it will probably give you a savings of 15watts and you will be able to do that TT in 64min

Buy a powermeter, work hard for a season and you can probably add 30watts to your FTP and do your TT in 62min
You can then year over year probably adding 10watts and get down to 60min with time

Just buy the wheels and you will stay at 64min
Now if you buy the PM and don't do the work, you stay at 65min.

if you want to just buy the wheels and not do the work, there are cheaper ways to get 1min.

The best thing is to get both, get the minute from the wheels, the 3min by improving your FTP and you will be under 60min faster

Edited by marcag 2016-06-21 3:36 PM
2016-06-21 5:01 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

you know, you can buy the wheels AND work hard without a power meter.

GASP!?@!@

2016-06-21 5:58 PM

User image

Originally posted by Burchib As somewhat of a newbie, what is the scoop on wheel sets? I have a $3000 bike, which to me, was expensive, even though I know it is not in the cycling world. But, I can easily make it a $4000 bike with a "better" wheel set. Not to over state the obvious, but I imagine they make you faster? Is there really a discernible difference over, let's say, 25 miles? I'm just trying to understand it, as they seem soooo expensive, and I have trouble wrapping my mind around it. If I had a $1000, I might invest in a power meter, and hopefully get more gains that way. Ready to be schooled on this!

How's your fit?

Aero equipment is utterly worthless if you're sitting up on the bars in the last few miles of a race because you don't have a good fit.   I see it at every single race.

Assuming that is in place, as stated above wheels will (may) give you instant results, as would a helmet or a skin suit.  PMs also have their place but require a plan and dedication that will take a while to produce any benefits (which you can also get without a PM)

2016-06-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: #5187962

User image

, North Carolina
Honestly, I love the look of 50mm-80mm wheels. If it makes me feel faster, then I will be. Chasing a MPH goal will drain your wallet and hurt your feelings. If you can afford race wheels get them. If you can't don't worry it's not the end of your tri career.
2016-06-22 4:34 PM
in reply to: Nick B

Thanks for all the input.

One possibly goofy question:
If a person were to lose 5 lbs and be able to increase their power/weight ratio slightly, would it not produce similar results as having lighter and faster wheels? I read something this weekend where it said if you want to make quick noticeable gains, lose unwanted pounds, as it is just like losing pounds off of your bike, because when you are on the bike, it's the weight of the complete package. (it was being related to power/weight)
Thoughts?
2016-06-22 6:45 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Burchib Thanks for all the input. One possibly goofy question: If a person were to lose 5 lbs and be able to increase their power/weight ratio slightly, would it not produce similar results as having lighter and faster wheels? I read something this weekend where it said if you want to make quick noticeable gains, lose unwanted pounds, as it is just like losing pounds off of your bike, because when you are on the bike, it's the weight of the complete package. (it was being related to power/weight) Thoughts?
IIRC, power to weight matters a lot if doing a lot of climbing.  Power to Aero matters all the time.  I could lose 5lbs today from my waistline and wouldn't matter once I'm up to speed where I live on flat coastal FL.

2016-06-24 7:12 AM

Last year I was trying to choose between a set of Flo wheels or a power meter. I bought the meter. I use it every time I am on the bike. If it is January, 20 inches of snow, blowing wind and 20 below...oh I am on the trainer in the basement using my power meter. It is used every time. The wheels would only been used every now and again.

That was my logic between the two

Joe

2016-06-24 8:31 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Definitely power meter if you are going to use it as a training tool. Just installing it on the bike without dedicate your training to power based is a waste of money (although it's fun to read the power after a training ride/race).

Race wheels will make you faster almost instantly (take a couple of rides to get used to any change in equipment), but a power meter when used as proper training tool will make you quite a bit faster over time.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what's the scoop on wheelsets? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

What's the scoop on SF Bay to Breakers?

Started by smoom
Views: 580 Posts: 4

2012-04-10 12:25 AM Trath-L33T

Infinit Nutrition Scoop size

Started by Maria527
Views: 2954 Posts: 6

2011-11-02 9:39 PM 1stTimeTri

Infinite scoop?

Started by meblack
Views: 669 Posts: 8

2010-01-14 10:48 AM Baowolf

how big is a Carbopro scoop, in tablespoons?

Started by brucemorgan
Views: 832 Posts: 3

2008-04-12 8:47 PM brucemorgan

The scoop on diet soda?

Started by ChuckyFinster
Views: 950 Posts: 15

2004-12-29 7:55 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 3, 2007
author : CPT
comments : 5
Colorado Premier Training goes over the basics of what bike power training is and how it relates to your optimal bike position.

date : March 6, 2007
author : sportfactory
comments : 0
Bike upgrades to gain speed: better wheelsets, a tri-bike, road bike with aerobars, even getting rid of those love handles before getting that lighter bike.