General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sweaty Hands & Numb Pinkies Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-21 2:35 PM

User image

New user

West MI
Subject: Sweaty Hands & Numb Pinkies
So I've been riding my new TT bike for going on 2 weeks, I think. Feeling more and more confident (first ride was terrifying -- like learning to ride a bike, all over again). Neck and shoulders are less cranky about things. Overall speed is increasing as I become more comfortable with the bike and position. I figure I've already bought myself 1-2mph at comparable effort -- and the TT bike is really heavy and low rent (KHS SCR 2000 -- only TT bike our LBS carries in my size, unfortunately) compared to my Cdale SuperSix road bike. In another year or two I'll likely upgrade the frame or even entire bike. Definitely looking at a wheel upgrade in the short term.

So the issues I am having are really small. My pinkies are going numb and my hands are sweaty enough to make them feel slippery on the foam bar tape. The tape is super cheesy stuff that came with the bike. I have Lizard Skins tape on my road and gravel bikes and our tandem...but I suspect that would be slippery-when-wet, too. I always wear gloves on those bikes, so it's not really an issue.

Would cork tape be more grippy/absorbent? And what could I do about the pinched nerves (?) on my arms/hands (I assume it's ulnar nerve and it's getting impinged, perhaps by my elbow pads)? Or is that just something to live with during duathlon season?

2016-06-22 9:52 AM
in reply to: zoom-zoom

User image

New user

West MI
Subject: RE: Sweaty Hands & Numb Pinkies
Well, I think I figured out the nerve issue...somehow my handlebars had loosened enough to rotate downwards...slightly down from horizontal, even. Which angled my elbow pads, as well. My DH had done some tweaking on my cockpit and typically over-tightens everything. Except for this time. :p
2016-06-28 5:31 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Glad you found an answer to the numbness!
2016-08-19 12:49 AM

A treatment alternative for sweat-soaked palms is Botox (otherwise called onabotulinumtoxinA). An accomplished therapeutic expert can infuse Botox into your palms to significantly diminish sweating. Impacts are enduring (around 6 months) however the infusions can be excruciating for most. To make the infusions more agreeable, experienced medicinal experts are swinging to a straightforward icing and/or vibration strategy, however you ought to know that inconvenience amid infusions is a potential disadvantage of Botox treatment for palmar hyperhidrosis.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sweaty Hands & Numb Pinkies Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Biker Hands (Ulnar Nerve) Pinky is constantly numb

Started by mynextthirtyyears
Views: 2582 Posts: 3

2011-05-11 12:28 PM mynextthirtyyears

Numb fingers/pinkies

Started by SunnyS
Views: 830 Posts: 4

2008-06-29 1:49 PM D.K.

cold numb hands

Started by jjones
Views: 1022 Posts: 3

2007-10-20 2:14 AM milaminute

Bullhorns and numb hands anyone??

Started by ChrisM
Views: 719 Posts: 2

2006-10-28 9:43 PM auto208562

New Road Bike...Hands Going Numb

Started by Freenthec
Views: 1669 Posts: 20

2005-08-10 9:51 PM Denise2003
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
Several strategies for coping with or preventing numb toes and feet

date : November 5, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've noticed when running that my hands start to swell. I started running with a fuel belt and started sipping water about 15 minutes into my run. It seemed to help for a few runs, but not all.
date : April 22, 2009
comments : 1
I got a new pair of the same size / brand of shoes and started running on them. On my left foot, the toe next to the big toe starts to get a little painful and goes numb after the first 1-3 miles.

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : January 14, 2008
author : dr_forbush
In addition to writing your race number on each upper arm, they also wrote your age on your calf. This allowed me to see who was passing me by in the bike section of this race.

date : August 7, 2007
What would cause my foot to fall asleep after running about 3 miles and then have a numb spot on the top of my instep?
date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?

date : April 2, 2006
I am a 36 y/o male and this will be my fifth season doing triathlons. I have noticed that whenever I run for any period of time over 40 minutes I get a "pins and needles" feeling in my right foot.