General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salt Tablets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-21 6:30 PM

Subject: Salt Tablets
Any opinions taking salt tablets before or during sprint and/or Olympic distance triathlons?

2016-06-21 8:18 PM
in reply to: NcTriDad

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Salt Tablets
They're not needed for races that short. Most people don't even need them in long course races.
2016-06-22 7:16 AM

User image

I sweat a lot and have low BP, but even I don't use salt tablets in a race that short. In longer races, I take about one an hour, depending on the heat.
2016-06-22 10:17 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Going to have to respectfully disagree with lack of salt use. We see it happen in marathons which are ~roughly a similar time in the case of Hyponatremia. Not sure why people think it is magically not a problem in a triathlon. triathlons can often be much hotter than the typical marathon. Now do we need to go nuts, no, but a little bit of salt goes along way. Personally, I am using Base this year, I started using it last year, but I have used various products throughout my entire career.
2016-06-22 10:17 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
Going to have to respectfully disagree with lack of salt use. We see it happen in marathons which are ~roughly a similar time in the case of Hyponatremia. Not sure why people think it is magically not a problem in a triathlon. triathlons can often be much hotter than the typical marathon. Now do we need to go nuts, no, but a little bit of salt goes along way. Personally, I am using Base this year, I started using it last year, but I have used various products throughout my entire career.
2016-06-23 8:16 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri Going to have to respectfully disagree with lack of salt use. We see it happen in marathons which are ~roughly a similar time in the case of Hyponatremia. Not sure why people think it is magically not a problem in a triathlon. triathlons can often be much hotter than the typical marathon. Now do we need to go nuts, no, but a little bit of salt goes along way. Personally, I am using Base this year, I started using it last year, but I have used various products throughout my entire career.

The problem with hyponatremia in marathons (or other exercise) comes from drinking excess fluids.  And usually occurs in slower runners.  It would be hard to achieve that in in oly (although BOP athletes, in particular, should be aware of the risk) since the duration is shorter for the vast majority and you physically can't drink for the first ~20-40min of exercise.  Salt tabs are completely unnecessary.

2016-06-23 9:52 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I do most of my training and racing in extreme heat/humidity, up to and including half-ironman, and have never used salt tabs, salt sticks, etc. There are plenty of ways to balance electrolyte and fluid intake besides salt tabs, such as using sports drinks with sodium (Nuun has a relatively high concentration of it and is what I generally use), taking in food with salt on the bike, and/or using gu with electrolytes on the run. The one time I have had (relatively mild) hyponatremia symtoms in a race was almost certainly due to drinking more water than I normally would (to keep cool, as the aid stations kept running out of ice), rather than insufficient sodium intake per se. (I had done the race the previous year without such issues, when I could suck on ice for cooling rather than keep swallowing extra water. ) Of course people's sodium needs vary, but it seems like given the shorter length of an Oly and all the other options for taking in sodium and other electrolytes, salt tabs really wouldn't be necessary for that distance. As for sprints, I have done them with temps in the high 90's and high humidity smack dab on the equator, with nothing but sports drink, many times, I don't think I have seen the athletes in Singapore and else where in SE Asia use salt tabs or sticks for that distance.
2016-06-23 9:59 AM
in reply to: JohnnyKay

User image

Exton, PA
salt is only one electrolyte, and is not absorbed if you are deficient in potassium(another electrolyte). You are better off using a sport drink or gel that already has mix of the proper nutrients.
2016-06-23 11:37 AM
in reply to: ThomasGerlach ProTri

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by ThomasGerlach ProTri Going to have to respectfully disagree with lack of salt use. We see it happen in marathons which are ~roughly a similar time in the case of Hyponatremia. Not sure why people think it is magically not a problem in a triathlon. triathlons can often be much hotter than the typical marathon. Now do we need to go nuts, no, but a little bit of salt goes along way. Personally, I am using Base this year, I started using it last year, but I have used various products throughout my entire career.

I said salt tablets aren't needed by most in long course triathlon.  I didn't say no one needed them, and I didn't say electrolytes weren't needed.  Most people get enough when they consume their fuel.  Some people have issues that can be alleviated with supplemental electrolyte tablets, but it should be pretty far down on the list of things they try to correct issues like hyponatremia or cramping.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Salt Tablets Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Salt tablets/ salt stick

Started by Fitzy
Views: 2824 Posts: 18

2014-06-09 8:49 AM DV 1

Question about Salt Tablets?

Started by cwsiii
Views: 1228 Posts: 7

2008-08-15 12:24 PM writers2

Salt Tablets???

Started by DRM
Views: 1130 Posts: 5

2006-09-21 9:51 PM sue7013

how many salt tablets for an olympic race?

Started by smileydc01
Views: 740 Posts: 10

2006-08-07 7:44 PM markg72

how many salt tablets for an olympic race?

Started by smileydc01
Views: 896 Posts: 8

2006-08-08 8:39 AM SunnyS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
comments : 0
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : May 25, 2009
author : mrakes1
Do you consume too much salt in your diet? What are the ramifications for the endurance athlete?
date : September 25, 2007
Are you a heavy sweater? Do you finish a race covered in white-streaks? Do you cramp during a race? Than this article is for you.

date : September 24, 2007
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.
date : June 14, 2005
author : infosteward
The best hydration formula includes a mixture of salt and a variety of carbohydrates, amino acids are good to decrease muscle soreness but not necessary to increase performance.

date : May 16, 2005
author : Nancy Clark
Perhaps you, too, have wondered about the role of salt, or more correctly, sodium (the part of salt associated with high blood pressure) in your diet. This article can help you figure that out.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Dillion
comments : 1
If anyone is considering expanding their horizons and getting into doing an Ironman distance or ½ Ironman distance race, there are many tips and tricks that can help in having a pleasant experience.

date : August 28, 2004
author : BrianPBN
Not one menu is a perfect fit for all athletes, but there are some general rules that everyone can use as a guide during the final 24 hours leading into your race.