General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitioning to Zero Drop/Minimalist/Barefoot Shoes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-22 5:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Transitioning to Zero Drop/Minimalist/Barefoot Shoes

Reading another thread raised a question in my mind I'd like to hear opinions on.  Not wanting to hijack that thread and out of curiosity, since I don't really "know" the answer -

It is widely known and understood that a runner using "traditional" shoes should slowly transition to zero drop/minimalist/barefoot shoes.  My question is regarding a new runner - someone with little or no run volume history to speak of.  Maybe someone just starting a couch-to-5K program.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of that person starting with a zero drop/minimalist/barefoot shoe from the outset of their training?  I suppose the question is just as valid for someone who has endured a significant lay-off, perhaps injury recovery, etc. where run fitness has substantially declined.

It seems to me that someone just starting out (or coming back from extended lay-off), could safely use zero drop, minimalist, or barefoot shoes from the outset of their training as they would be limited in volume by their fitness so likely could not run sufficient volume in the shoes to invite injury.

Am I missing something?

2016-06-22 7:04 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Transitioning to Zero Drop/Minimalist/Barefoot Shoes
I think it would actually make the most sense to start from zero (couch) and going straight to minimalist. One of the big issues going from regular shoes is that the runner knows that they can run a certain distance at a certain pace and, even though they are warned not to, still try to run fast or longer than what they should. Starting from zero the runner has no previous experience and likely would be doing the 5&1's, 2 or 3km runs and slowly building up.

I have gone on and off minimalist shoes since the beginning of the barefoot "fad" - five fingers and merrel true gloves. My biggest issues have come from trail running with the Five Fingers - broken toes on 2 different occasions. I still do occasionally use the True gloves when running with my wife who is a new runner. I lost the Five Finger on my last kayaking trip.

Overall I would say that minimalist shoes have helped me transition from a very heal heavy runner to a little more of a forefoot runner
2016-06-23 8:03 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Not really missing anything.  Moving to minimalist/barefoot should be done much the way couch-to-5k should be done.  So if one wants to start running and go minimalist, they could do both at once.

2016-06-23 9:17 AM

User image

Newport, North Carolina
I just did this myself about a year ago. Started getting back into shape after college and getting my career started and started back with zero drop shoes. Ran through a pair of Nike Free Trainers and now running in Brooks. I have had zero issues with the zero drop.
2016-06-23 11:04 AM
in reply to: bstat

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
This is what I did! I started with walking, then walk/running, and then moved into running for my sprint training. All in Vivobarefoot Stealth, and I found the process pretty smooth. There is still some niggly things that showed up when I started running, but that was likely because I was still carrying too much weight. I have struggled with some ankle issues off and on of late, but I don't believe it to be related to my zero drop shoes. More that I'm a complete klutz and trip on stuff all the time.
One thing I will say is that I'm a barefoot in the house kind of girl. I also have a casual office, so I don't wear heels on a regular basis. I imagine both gave me an even better headstart on minimalism. I think if someone wears shoes with a big drop in their day to day life, that can make even walking in minimal shoes a big step.
2016-06-23 1:21 PM

Originally posted by k9car363

Reading another thread raised a question in my mind I'd like to hear opinions on.  Not wanting to hijack that thread and out of curiosity, since I don't really "know" the answer -

It is widely known and understood that a runner using "traditional" shoes should slowly transition to zero drop/minimalist/barefoot shoes.  My question is regarding a new runner - someone with little or no run volume history to speak of.  Maybe someone just starting a couch-to-5K program.  What are the advantages/disadvantages of that person starting with a zero drop/minimalist/barefoot shoe from the outset of their training?  I suppose the question is just as valid for someone who has endured a significant lay-off, perhaps injury recovery, etc. where run fitness has substantially declined.

It seems to me that someone just starting out (or coming back from extended lay-off), could safely use zero drop, minimalist, or barefoot shoes from the outset of their training as they would be limited in volume by their fitness so likely could not run sufficient volume in the shoes to invite injury.

Am I missing something?

A brand-new runner almost certainly could start running barefoot/minimalist, with the typical gradual volume rampup. I strongly suspect that unless they've got preexisting run ability from field sports, they'd be fine.

The problem for people from layoffs, even long ones, is that one's recovery of run performance will likely outstrip the ability of your tendons (Achilles, etc.) to adapt to the new load. The stronger a runner you were before the layoff, the more likely you'll just end up overdoing it as your body will want to run faster than your ligaments permit. And in the case of a fairly accomplished prior runner, it can take years for those ligaments and tendons to get up to the level they would otherwise be with normal shoes. 

I did this exact thing, coming off a layoff, and even after 5 months of very gradual (<10%) increases in run volume on the barefoot/minimalist, I was still way off my typical run speed at the end of those months (1min/mile off, and limited by recurring Achilles strains if I went faster.) Switched it back to normal shoes at that point, and almost immediately came back to my expected speed, injury free. 

2016-06-23 5:38 PM
in reply to: #5188204

It just seems like an unnecessary risk IMO, coming from experience working in a specialty running store. One can still learn about and practice emphasizing a mid foot strike vs a heel strike and other elements of efficient running form, but with "normal shoes" one can work on it with the peace of mind and assistance of more cushioning and support in the shoe.

Shoes don't last forever. When a pair is ready to be retired, one can make an informed decision about what they liked or didn't like about the shoe and evolve accordingly.

I understand this is a conservative position, but IMO the last thing you want to do is expose a new (or one coming back from long absence) runner to a higher likelihood of injury when the upside can be achieved irrespective of shoe choice.

And I disagree that all runners should use these types of shoes. You may not have meant that but it's how I read it. For many, they are recipes for tendon problems and/or increased recovery times. Any gains from saving a few grams of weight are negligible or non existent for runners of that type, so that shouldn't influence the decision to use them.
2016-06-24 8:23 AM
in reply to: PBT_2009

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by PBT_2009

And I disagree that all runners should use these types of shoes. You may not have meant that but it's how I read it. For many, they are recipes for tendon problems and/or increased recovery times. Any gains from saving a few grams of weight are negligible or non existent for runners of that type, so that shouldn't influence the decision to use them.

Thanks for including this.

I agree that it is not accepted by all that runners should strive to be in zero drop shoes. Implying that this is a universal truth might do many runners a disservice.

Personally, I have found about 4 mm of drop to be the sweet spot. I can run in more drop (which I can usually feel the difference). I can run in zero drop (which 'feels' almost exactly the same to me as 4 mm). However, when I run in zero drop shoes I always feel more beat up the next day. I am sure that if I used them much more that I could adapt but I have found no compelling reason to do so.
2016-06-29 11:27 AM

User image

I think if you are starting from scratch it would be relatively easy to start minimalist. I run minimalist now and ran completely barefoot for several years.

Barefoot running will help you develop things at a slow enough pace. If you push yourself running barefoot it hurts very quickly before longer term damage will be done.
When not running, spend as much time barefoot as possible to develop the muscles in your feet and ankles.
Don't run exclusively barefoot. Different support levels use different muscles.
Run on BOTH hard and soft surfaces. Running on concrete or tarmac gives instant feedback on form - running on grass/dirt/sand develops support in your lower leg.

Finally, barefoot/minimalist long distance running is not for everyone BUT I firmly believe spending a small amount of time every week running barefoot can give you valuable feedback as to your form. By small amount I mean a lap on a track or a couple hundred yards somewhere. If you are using a running form that is doing damage to your body, you will quickly feel it running barefoot and can start to work on correcting it.
2016-06-29 12:51 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by PBT_2009

It just seems like an unnecessary risk IMO, coming from experience working in a specialty running store. One can still learn about and practice emphasizing a mid foot strike vs a heel strike and other elements of efficient running form, but with "normal shoes" one can work on it with the peace of mind and assistance of more cushioning and support in the shoe.

From another former running shoe fitter I'd like to second this motion.

The shoe is only part of the equation. I've seen plenty of overweight people in minimal shoes still heel striking (increasing their injury risk) to know that the veracity of this idea is plausible.

Shoe style =/= biomechanics.

It's certainly a component to it, but largely predicated on your ability to learn to move well. Youtube can aid you here as well as running clinics if they're offered in your area. Or you're welcome to shoot me a PM and we can talk about run video/critique and some drills to address particular issues you're having.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transitioning to Zero Drop/Minimalist/Barefoot Shoes Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Altra Zero Drop shoes

Started by jmcconne
Views: 4972 Posts: 18

2012-01-29 9:02 PM Rickz

Transitioning to Minimalist Running

Started by cornchexs
Views: 1141 Posts: 16

2011-11-02 1:45 AM kepa

barefoot/minimalist shoes Pages: 1 2

Started by ridenrundoc
Views: 2524 Posts: 33

2011-10-07 4:05 PM sashen

Barefoot or minimalist running

Started by EKH
Views: 1699 Posts: 8

2011-04-25 5:15 PM Boski

Barefoot/minimalist Follow-up

Started by cornchexs
Views: 880 Posts: 6

2010-11-18 1:42 PM ipull400watts
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : July 23, 2012
comments : 3
Does wearing minimalist shoes put more stress on the ankles, shins and knee joints with the loss of padding from conventional running shoes?
date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : November 2, 2011
comments : 4
A doctor's take on how to safely transition to minimalist shoes and how to treat existing injuries

date : October 4, 2011
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running
date : March 9, 2010
comments : 1
Most people believe that running barefoot is dangerous. Certainly, depending upon the surface, they would be correct. However, there is some suggestion that running barefoot may reduce injuries.