General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More garmin Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-23 3:28 PM

Subject: More garmin
So I have been experiencing HRM dropouts, pretty much around 45 minutes for the past 6 rides or so. Different straps, using gels no shirt new battery. I have a Scosche in my Amazon cart and am getting really close to pulling the trigger on that.

I have not uploaded to Garmin Connect in a long time, a few months. Now I have W10, I have updated the express software and still am getting the same problems. On the laptop the device sees the stick a few seconds and stops. On the desktop it sees the stick and starts to sync, it give me a red bar saying there is an error. I try different things and nothing.
Now here is the kicker, I cannot turn off the 910xt, it's stuck on the Data transfer screen...nothing is working

I am extremely frustrated and pissed. IT seems that Garmin brings out something new every few years and their old stuff starts to "fail" So before I do anything I was looking for suggestions here, anyone seen these problems or have advice?

I was looking at the Edge 520 to put on my bike and am really starting to second guess Garmin products

Joe

2016-06-23 4:20 PM
in reply to: Puppetmaster

User image

Subject: RE: More garmin

I solved the first problem with a Scosche, going strong since December

Can't say I've dealt with the second one, perhaps a hard reset does the trick

2016-06-23 4:48 PM
in reply to: ChrisM

Originally posted by ChrisM

I ordered the Scosche after my shower today. I did a reset and got the data to transfer. My smarty 15 year old said....bet you wish you had that Coffee when you got up

I guess I just needed to vent
2016-06-23 4:54 PM

User image

Originally posted by Puppetmaster
Originally posted by ChrisM

I ordered the Scosche after my shower today. I did a reset and got the data to transfer. My smarty 15 year old said....bet you wish you had that Coffee when you got up I guess I just needed to vent

Ha, no worries.  Only drawback with the scosche is remembering to charge it but I do both the 910 and it at the same time, usually once or twice a week.

2016-06-23 9:18 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I sold my 910 last year but I remember having to do a reset on it 1-3 times a year. Try this (copy/paste from another site):

Please try this reset step off the charger first.
--To do a soft reset, press and hold the Mode + Lap/Reset buttons for 10 seconds.
You will not see any message while doing this.

Now you should be able to power on the unit like normal.

If it requires you to do this every time you try to power on you will need to do a soft reset, followed by a master reset.

This will erase all user data.

With the unit off the power supply press and hold Mode + Lap/Reset for 3 seconds.
Let go and press and hold Mode + Power until the message comes up asking if you want to erase all user data.

Select yes and then place the unit back on the charger.

As for the transfer issue. Hopefully that works. If not, try deleting all old activities. The one it does by default should be fine (anything older than a month). When my 910 was getting full, it performed worst and worst. If you really want those older activities, I had to do the "transfer all" or whatever setting it was called. It would send every single activity on a sync. This took forever but it would normally solve the issue where it kept skipping random workouts. Again, deleting old activities every so often really helped mine behave better and makes the time you need to sync all way faster.

Edited by Blastman 2016-06-23 9:19 PM
2016-06-25 11:02 AM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
I don't think the Optical HR in their current form are a replacement for HRM. As a professional, I depend very highly on HR data but not so much for a lot of my steady workouts. Optical works ok for steady workouts but it does not work for any sort of workouts that tend to be variable. My Optical HR is built into my Garmin 735xt (this is my 4th different optical)and I use when I can, but if I want true data and rely on it, I am still using the Garmin strap.

With that being said, straps do wear out and need to be replaced, I have at least 2 dead ones. It is hard to imagine a tougher environment than an HR strap, constant moisture and salt. At $45, I find a once a year replacement of the Garmin Soft Strap to be an ok deal: http://amzn.to/28UHRx5

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » More garmin Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Garmin 405 VS Garmin 410

Started by Jorgito22
Views: 5050 Posts: 5

2012-05-01 7:36 PM jmug23

Garmin-Cervelo / Garmin-Barracuda

Started by mgalanter
Views: 1053 Posts: 4

2012-01-17 7:58 AM jhouse4

garmin 310xt vs garmin 305

Started by chirunner134
Views: 3752 Posts: 16

2011-09-21 7:59 AM powerman

Accuracy of the Garmin 500 and Garmin 310XT

Started by Izlude
Views: 2874 Posts: 16

2010-08-25 6:44 AM cbire880

To Garmin 310xt or not to Garmin?

Started by Helibee
Views: 1858 Posts: 10

2010-06-18 9:31 AM trix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : September 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
New products from Athlete 3, Fuji, Garmin, Kestrel, LiveStrong, Reynolds, Scott, Specialized, Shimano and Vision Tech
date : June 18, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 3
Easily transfer your workout data from your Garmin, Polar, Timex and more directly into your BT training log. Eliminate the manual entries. Save time!

date : March 26, 2008
author : Team BT
Instructions on how to directly upload routes from your Garmin training device into your training logs.