General Discussion Race Reports! » GE Aviation Aquathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

GE Aviation Aquathlon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cheltenham, England
GB
Sandford Park Lido
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 10s
Overall Rank = 30/52
Age Group = 40+
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

Changed and set up in transition. Made sure I knew route from lane to transition and out on to run. Overcast at this point s left T shirt in transition just in case it stayed cool.
Event warmup:

None possible, only about 30 secs in pool before start and goggles persistently leaking.
Swim
  • 14m 50s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

Left goggle began leaking immediately so couldn't see clearly after first ten metres. Too cautious at start and far too slow. Overtaken very quickly by man behind and then by other girl in lane at about 200m mark. Stayed on feet of girl and picked up pace so next 600m much better pace. Time includes getting out of pool and running part of way into transition.
What would you do differently?:

Should have had confidence that I could swim 800m at by usual 200m pace and that I didn't need to set off cautiously. Must remember for next time that it is actually a race! Difficult to know what to have done about goggles (given that they are usual ones which very rarely do leak).
Transition 1
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Time includes putting on socks, necessary given toe deformities, and lacing up shoes. That made me 7 out of 8 in age group in transition. Otherwise clipped on number belt and put on hat.

Glad I stuck with laces rather than using lock laces. There was a bit of fumbling with the laces and with the number belt so both of these things could be practised to be made a bit smoother for future.
Run
  • 27m 38s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 32s  min/km
Comments:

Please with run, especially given Achilles issues. Managed a sprint at end to cross line as 5th woman. Possibly very slight tendency to go too easily but did pick up pace towards end of second loop. Pleased decided on laces instead of lock laces as shoes felt a bit loose on first lap but just right by second loop. They would have been far too tight with lock laces.

Nothing given current physical condition. Confident times will improve as Achilles mends and lose a little more weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Did Achilles exercises and drank rest of energy drink and then made up recovery drink to have on way home. Showered, put on recovery tights and dressed. Lot of walking to get to and from stations. Ate some (not very nutritious) food on train home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

In the swim I should have had more confidence that I could last 800m at a faster pace and I should have set off faster. I don't think my transition times will improve that much. My run will improve when my Achilles improves and through losing a little more weight.

Event comments:

Excellent local race with proceeds going to a good course. Lovely heated open air pool - really good temperature for swimming - and predominantly flat run in local streets and in park next to lido. Well signed on streets and well marshalled on "snail" loop on grassy section in park. Good mix of competitors with wide range of abilities. Shorter race also available for young people and those not sure about the longer distance. Excellent race to choose to return to multisport racing after decade long absence. Really looking forward to doing it again next year.

Last updated: 2016-05-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:50 | 800 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/8
Overall: 20/52
Performance: Below average
Suit: Black Speedo suit on top of tri shorts
Course: 50m open water pool. Swimming laps of lane shared with other competitors. Set off at ten second intervals.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  01:41
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Average
Running
00:27:38 | 05 kms | 05m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 5/8
Overall: 38/52
Performance: Good
Course: Two lap course, predominantly flat, around and into park. Grassy section to do "snail" loop inside park (get to see position of other competitors and how close they are) and rest on concrete.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes