Ironman
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 39m 18s
Overall Rank = 764/2604
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 145/362
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5h15AM had breakfast and headed to transition. Was nice to come back to hotel and apply sunscreen and body glide. Then headed for the long walk to the swim start. I had a late 8h40AM swim start so i had plenty of time.
Event warmup:

Was very congested at the swim start at the beach. Met a friend from my local pool and we had a swim warm up together. Listened to the pre-race festivies (cannons, snowbirds/national anthem) and headed towards the sign of my 8h40 swim wave.
Swim
  • 34m 37s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim in Lake Tremblant is beautiful. Water was perfect at 65F for a wetsuit. I love this swim setting. Swim was good. Lots of athletes in the water but it was it OK. Had a solid swim. Nice to have the wet suit strippers on shore. The run to transition is quite long but the spectators along the way cheering were amazing.
Transition 1
  • 05m 34s
Comments:

Transitions are never my strength so I was happy with this one considering how long the run it was from the swim to transition.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 24s
  • 90 kms
  • 31.14 km/hr
Comments:

I had a great bike and I loved this bike course. The roads are closed to local traffic and so smooth. I was finally giving my tri bike what it wanted, smooth roads to ride on... My training this spring on hills paid off as I was comfortable with all the hills on the course. The new bike cassette I got really helped on the hills.The support along the course was amazing. First 70K or so were quite steady, the last 20K were uphill for 10K and downhill for the last 10K. Loved the home made sign on the steepest part of the bike climb at 80K that said "You're not here to have fun" in Quebec slang. It was perfect for how you felt at the exact time. Lost not one but 2 water bottles from my seat bottle holder (1 was empty). Not an issue as there were plenty of fluids I could get a bike aid stations. Fluid, gels/bloks and salt tablet intake was good.
Transition 2
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

Slow transition. I need to be more efficient.
Run
  • 2h 02m 8s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 47s  min/km
Comments:

The start of the run was tough as there was a steep hill at 1K. Felt cramping of my quads but thankfully it went away within 500m after going up and down that hill. Started feeling nauseous at 3K. Never walked during the whole run which was a goal of mine. Grabbed water, ice and Gatorade and ice at all the aid stations. Was only able to eat 2 gels during to increasing nausea. Had 2 more salt tablets on the run. It was around 12h30PM when I started the run and 30C plus and very sunny. As the run went on I felt more and more nauseous. At 13K, I thought I may have to walk and wondered how will I finish this as I felt more and more awful. At 16K, we ran along a small lake. It had a dock with a Muskoka chair and the water was right there. It was cruel to see that considering how much I want to jumping in the lake to cool down. At 18K, I was in rough shape, and guess what the last 3K is all ascent. The run into the village was so difficult and the last 1K was the diabolical steep ascent towards the gondola then back down to the finish. Family was there to cheer me to the finish. Spectators lining the last 1K were amazing. Crossed the finish line and celebrated. Headed towards athlete tent.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more fluids somehow. Try not to pick a race that is 30C for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

I was in a world of hurt in the athlete's tent. I felt very nauseous and very dizzy. I would have required medical attention had I run another 2 or 3 K. I grabbed some ice and put it under my cap to cool my body temperature down. I knew I was having heat related issues. Sat/lied down and drank some chocolate milk/water and finally started to fell a bit better after 30min. Ate later and perked up after that. Lots and lots of people receiving medical attention in the athlete tent due to heat issues.

Event comments:

Mt Tremblant is a superb venue for a half ironman. Loved the swim and bike course and were it not for the extreme heat, probably the run course as well. Community really supports the event. Spectators and volunteers are amazing to cheer us on. The last 1K should not be that steep to finish.

Last updated: 2016-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:37 | 1900 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 99/362
Overall: 694/2604
Performance: Good
Suit: yes
Course: rectangular
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:24 | 90 kms | 31.14 km/hr
Age Group: 160/362
Overall: 783/2604
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on great roads closed to local traffic.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:02:08 | 21.1 kms | 05m 47s  min/km
Age Group: 145/362
Overall: 764/2604
Course: Out and back mostly on a paved rail trail.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-06-28 10:43 AM

User image

Subject: Mt Tremblant 70.3

2016-06-30 2:37 PM
in reply to: #5188854

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Mt Tremblant 70.3

Congrats on a strong finish despite the heat!

MT is a wonderful place for racing! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mt Tremblant 70.3 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant

Started by gibson00
Views: 1834 Posts: 3

2012-07-01 5:32 PM gibson00

Started by pelbois
Views: 1370 Posts: 1

2012-06-25 1:43 PM pelbois

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 4156 Posts: 21

2012-06-27 11:30 AM rymac

Started by ryan.santos
Views: 2508 Posts: 4

2012-06-25 7:12 PM natethomas2000

Triathlon Mt-Tremblant

Started by marcag
Views: 1194 Posts: 1

2009-08-02 6:41 PM marcag
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.