General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experienced mountain bikers...please explain these features! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-29 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: Experienced mountain bikers...please explain these features!

Well, I went over my mountain bike budget an opted for a full suspension Trek Lush.  I love it!  However, I didn't do a very good job paying attention to the explanation of a few features.  Can some of you smart folks please explain the features below--when to use them, how to use them, etc. Thanks a bunch!

(IMG_5970.JPG)

(FullSizeRender (5).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_5970.JPG (28KB - 6 downloads)
FullSizeRender (5).jpg (39KB - 4 downloads)

2016-06-29 9:58 AM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Subject: RE: Experienced mountain bikers...please explain these features!
They're suspension lock-outs. If you're on gravel/pavement, definitely lock out both so save wasting energy. I've also heard suggestions that you should lock out your rear suspension with climbing (esp when its not technical). My bike doesn't have that option, but even if it did, I feel more in control with the full suspension (front and back) engaged.

Have fun exploring with your new toy!
2016-06-29 9:59 AM

User image

Exton, PA
The bottom pic is your front suspension: you can adjust it some for personal preference and you can lock it out. if your on a road and don't want the front flexing up and down you just lock it out.

The top pic looks like the lock out for rear suspension? - when climbing hills people tend to reach down and lock the rear suspension. If you climb with an active rear suspension it tends to absorb all the power you are trying to send to the wheel.
2016-06-29 10:08 AM
in reply to: mountain_erin

User image

Veteran
Denver area
I looked up your bike - GREAT purchase. And I LOVE the color. mmmmm, purple.

I think you made a really smart choice and you're going to have a great time.

Like I said in the other thread, my 2 upgrades were:

tubeless tires - investment was a ~$60 Stans No Tube kit and 2 new tires - clincher tires won't hold the bead correctly in a tubeless configuration.

dropper post - I ended up getting the RockShox Reverb with external routing for $250 at REI (on sale, and I cashed in some credit card points for REI gift cards, so I ended up getting if for "free"). Really easy to install - took me about an hour. Being able to adjust my seat height on the fly is DEFINITELY going to help me be more confident all over the trail.
2016-06-29 10:17 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Also, with the front suspension you are able to choose the amount of 'squish' or rebound your fork will experience over bumps/obstacles, it's not an all-or-nothing setting.  There tends to be a suitable place in the middle somewhere based on your preference, weight, etc. that will help you go over lumps/bumps more fluidly. 

2016-06-29 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Oh, and unsolicited advice on pedals. I'm a HUGE fan of flat pedals. I tried to use clipless last year, but I kept crashing (I couldn't clip out in time). It was horrible and lead to me angry-crying in front of a group of strangers and wanting to throw my MTB off the side of the mountain and walk home.

With flats, I don't crash hardly at all (I still do once in a while due to operator error). I find that I will have the courage to at least attempt some tricky things because I know I can just put my foot down if I get into trouble. With clipless, I'd look at something and just chicken out. Having the flats have saved me several times from crashing, simply from being able to put a foot down. You should have good muscle memory from road cycling and shouldn't notice much of a power drop and will retain a pretty good, smooth pedal stroke.

I just got these pedals and am pretty happy. And they come in PURPLE!

http://www.raceface.com/products/type/pedals/chester/

2016-06-29 10:24 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Elite

Ok so sounds like I just need to get out and play around with them.  I'm heading out for a real ride in a bit--I've just been out on a few short jaunts so far.  I'll play around with the features--can't wait!  Thanks for the input!

2016-06-29 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Naptown, IN
Just to add a couple of things.....

On the rear shock (top photo) the blue lever is the suspension lockout. Locking out the rear shock will effectively turn your bike into a hard tail. I very rarely lockout my rear suspension on the trail. I do lock it out occasionally on gravel or paved roads. The red dial behind the blue lever is used to adjust the speed of the rebound of the shock. In other words how quickly the shock returns from a compressed state to full extension. Everybody has their own preference on rebound speed so experiment with it.

On the fork (bottom photo), the blue dial is the suspension lockout. On the bottom of the right leg, you should have a rebound adjuster. On the top of the left leg, under the black cap, is the valve stem to adjust air pressure in the fork.

Hope that helps. Enjoy the new bike!
2016-06-29 1:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Originally posted by mountain_erin

Oh, and unsolicited advice on pedals. I'm a HUGE fan of flat pedals. I tried to use clipless last year, but I kept crashing (I couldn't clip out in time). It was horrible and lead to me angry-crying in front of a group of strangers and wanting to throw my MTB off the side of the mountain and walk home.

With flats, I don't crash hardly at all (I still do once in a while due to operator error). I find that I will have the courage to at least attempt some tricky things because I know I can just put my foot down if I get into trouble. With clipless, I'd look at something and just chicken out. Having the flats have saved me several times from crashing, simply from being able to put a foot down. You should have good muscle memory from road cycling and shouldn't notice much of a power drop and will retain a pretty good, smooth pedal stroke.

I'm a big fan of clipless pedals because I don't like having my feet bounced off of flat pedals on rough or bumpy terrain. The last time I used flat pedals my pedal/crank hit a rock, my foot came off, and the pedal banged me in the shin.

With practice and experience, unclipping becomes fast and automatic.
2016-06-29 1:28 PM

I'm a flat pedal fan as well; not so much from clipping in/out (had clipless for about 10 years and have been doing flats for about 4 years now), but for how free I feel and how comfy my shoes are. (Could never find a pedal/shoe combo that is as comfy as the shoes I wear with my flats).

If you do go with flat pedals, get a grippy pedal (with pins) and grippy shoes (like five10s).
2016-06-29 1:36 PM
in reply to: donw

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Originally posted by donw

I'm a big fan of clipless pedals because I don't like having my feet bounced off of flat pedals on rough or bumpy terrain. The last time I used flat pedals my pedal/crank hit a rock, my foot came off, and the pedal banged me in the shin.

With practice and experience, unclipping becomes fast and automatic.

For me personally - and as a beginner - I'd personally rather have a banged up shin than crash often, be terrified and eventually quit. Which is what I was on the verge of doing last summer. I took some lessons and the instructor STRONGLY recommended flat pedals. So that's what I went with and its kept me on my bike. I've also been able to improve on the MTB because I have the courage to try things, knowing I can put a foot down.

Also: wearing longer socks helps with the banged up shins

Just offering another perspective....

2016-06-29 2:22 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by ingleshteechur

Well, I went over my mountain bike budget an opted for a full suspension Trek Lush.  I love it!  However, I didn't do a very good job paying attention to the explanation of a few features.  Can some of you smart folks please explain the features below--when to use them, how to use them, etc. Thanks a bunch!

The blue lever and the blue dial adjust the shock. Depending on which bike you have, this could lock them or just adjust them. Yours might have the Rock Shox which I think can actually lock up. I don't know if it has an intermediate setting. What I have is more like the higher level Lush with the Fox Float shocks. That mostly makes it stiffer or softer, but doesn't lock them up. My previous bike did lock and it's a notable difference even though each suspension setting on the new one is easy to tell too. Some other fine tuning was mentioned before too, like the small red dial. Having the shock pressure (front and rear) set correctly can make quite a difference too. There should be some instructions for guidance on setting this. It may vary some by shock type. Take care of this early on.

2016-06-29 2:27 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by donw
Originally posted by mountain_erin Oh, and unsolicited advice on pedals. I'm a HUGE fan of flat pedals. I tried to use clipless last year, but I kept crashing (I couldn't clip out in time). It was horrible and lead to me angry-crying in front of a group of strangers and wanting to throw my MTB off the side of the mountain and walk home. With flats, I don't crash hardly at all (I still do once in a while due to operator error). I find that I will have the courage to at least attempt some tricky things because I know I can just put my foot down if I get into trouble. With clipless, I'd look at something and just chicken out. Having the flats have saved me several times from crashing, simply from being able to put a foot down. You should have good muscle memory from road cycling and shouldn't notice much of a power drop and will retain a pretty good, smooth pedal stroke. I just got these pedals and am pretty happy. And they come in PURPLE! http://www.raceface.com/products/type/pedals/chester/
I'm a big fan of clipless pedals because I don't like having my feet bounced off of flat pedals on rough or bumpy terrain. The last time I used flat pedals my pedal/crank hit a rock, my foot came off, and the pedal banged me in the shin. With practice and experience, unclipping becomes fast and automatic.
For me personally - and as a beginner - I'd personally rather have a banged up shin than crash often, be terrified and eventually quit. Which is what I was on the verge of doing last summer. I took some lessons and the instructor STRONGLY recommended flat pedals. So that's what I went with and its kept me on my bike. I've also been able to improve on the MTB because I have the courage to try things, knowing I can put a foot down. Also: wearing longer socks helps with the banged up shins Just offering another perspective....

Both ways work fine when starting off so long as you know how to go about them.

What type of socks are you using? They did nothing for me except risk tearing.

2016-06-30 7:27 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Elite

As for pedals, I opted for the dual--spiked flat on one side and clipless on the other.  I chase my cross country kids on my bike (this 46 year old cannot keep up with a bunch of 16 & 17 year old young men unless I'm on my bike !) I stop and start a lot, jump off and run with them up hills, etc so it helps to wear my running shoes while chasing them.  When I go out by myself, I clip in and love it.  If I do get to sketchy stuff I'm not sure about, I unclip and use the other side.  Works for me.

Thanks for all the great information, I am loving this bike!

2016-06-30 8:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Exton, PA

As for pedals, I opted for the dual--spiked flat on one side and clipless on the other.  I chase my cross country kids on my bike (this 46 year old cannot keep up with a bunch of 16 & 17 year old young men unless I'm on my bike !) I stop and start a lot, jump off and run with them up hills, etc so it helps to wear my running shoes while chasing them.  When I go out by myself, I clip in and love it.  If I do get to sketchy stuff I'm not sure about, I unclip and use the other side.  Works for me.

Many clipless pedals have an adjustment for the tension. If they are adjusted properly and you kept them lubricated, your foot comes out without even thinking about it.

When you get into the sketchy stuff; rock mounds, logs, ruff terrain,... that's actually when being clipped in helps a lot. These are the places where you get bounced around and if you foot slid off a flat pedal you are done. shin bangs when your foot comes off stink, but the other thing that happens is groin will tend to make contact with part of the bike, if your seated when it happens no big deal, if your out of the seat(which is how you go over the ruff stuff) its a big deal.

Edited by mike761 2016-06-30 8:10 AM
2016-07-01 6:01 PM
in reply to: mike761

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mike761

Many clipless pedals have an adjustment for the tension. If they are adjusted properly and you kept them lubricated, your foot comes out without even thinking about it. When you get into the sketchy stuff; rock mounds, logs, ruff terrain,... that's actually when being clipped in helps a lot. These are the places where you get bounced around and if you foot slid off a flat pedal you are done. shin bangs when your foot comes off stink, but the other thing that happens is groin will tend to make contact with part of the bike, if your seated when it happens no big deal, if your out of the seat(which is how you go over the ruff stuff) its a big deal.

Kim, unsure what pedals you're familiar with, but I've found SPD's to loosen up more than SPD-SL (Shimano road version), so also less than Speedplay which don't have such an adjustment. At really low settings, I've been able to just yank my foot out without twisting correctly.

The pedal type you have do sound like a good idea when you have to actually run with the kids. If something just seems a bit tricky though, would encourage to keep working to figure out how to ride through it. Although don't take out a kid! 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Experienced mountain bikers...please explain these features! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

to the mountain bikers out there

Started by turtlegirl
Views: 687 Posts: 6

2009-11-24 12:45 PM mike761

Mountain Bikers Rejoice

Started by wgraves7582
Views: 1479 Posts: 20

2009-11-13 9:50 AM wgraves7582

? for mountain/trail bikers

Started by Fatdoggy
Views: 1208 Posts: 16