General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-training plan Run heavy for marathon training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-29 10:18 AM

Subject: Tri-training plan Run heavy for marathon training?
So signed up for Chicago marathon coming up in October. Have finished my 1st ever HIM in Boulder so some conditioning is already built up and have 3-4 smaller Tri's scheduled over the next 2 months.

I'm trying to figure out how to somewhat reset my training plan to improve my Tri sport, but focus it towards getting ready for the Chicago Marathon.

Any recommendations / suggestions? Most plans are typically either Run club programs where you train for a specific run race or Tri specific where you train for a specific Tri distance. I suppose in this case if I can get a full ironman training regimen that should cover me for training for the Ironman, but may be a bit much to take on.

I assume others have done training for Tri specific events and have gone out to run marathons along the way.

2016-06-29 10:58 AM
in reply to: kctkd

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: Tri-training plan Run heavy for marathon training?

More information needed.  Is this your first marathon?  What is your running background?  What is your goal time?  How did your HIM go?  Was running the easy part or hard part or what?

I race every month, often running races because those are more common than triathlons, so I have some experience in this.

2016-06-29 3:13 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

This will be my 2nd ever Full Marathon. My goal is a sub 4 hour marathon. e.g. 3:55 - 3:59:59. Just anything under 4 and I will be stoked. I have a ways to go to get there. Lots of running experience, but not necessarily fast. Ran 3 1/2s this year with 1:53, 1:54, 1:56 times. In that order. all within 1 month. Hard to recover and get back up for races so close together.

The HIM was my first and I had 4 flats and it was ungodly hot that day. I over did it on the bike trying to make up for lost time and lots of cramping / tight legs by the time I got to the run so the run sucked. But it was my first HIM.

I'm now trying to reset and train focused on the full marathon sprinkled in with 2 olympic Tris, and 2 sprint Tris. My initial thought is that I try to do 2x swim, 3 x bike, and 4-5x run per week. reality is that typically I swim 1x week, bike (2 x spin 1x bike) and run 3 times per week The latter not seeming like much but really just need to add 1 swim per week, 1 more 'real' bike and 1 less spin, and maybe 1 more run per week.

2016-06-29 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I don't think you are going to hit your sub 4 marathon goal unless you set that as your dominant goal and severely limit your tri training. Of the 3 triathlon disciplines I'd focus on keeping swim going up to 3x a week and cut the bike down to 1.

Going with an IM plan won't get you the running fitness you are needing to go sub 4.

Find a good marathon specific training plan that most likely will be a 5x a week and then use swim as your recovery workout. Run the 4 triathlons with a focus on fun but don't waste time tapering and doing a bunch of speed work that would not fit with your plan.
2016-06-29 5:50 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I had a marathon PR (3:59:05) coming off of training for an Olympic distance race with about 4 weeks lead out. My goal was a sub 4. Not saying it will work for you but worth considering . . .

Here's the long version:

http://trited.blogspot.com/2012/02/can-you-cross-train-your-way-to....

2016-06-29 6:10 PM
in reply to: tedjohn

Originally posted by tedjohn I had a marathon PR (3:59:05) coming off of training for an Olympic distance race with about 4 weeks lead out. My goal was a sub 4. Not saying it will work for you but worth considering . . . Here's the long version: http://trited.blogspot.com/2012/02/can-you-cross-train-your-way-to....

Not to say your marathon result wasn't a good one, but if you're capable of running sub-19 5ks, both the Mcmillan calcs and the Daniels VDOT estimates will peg your marathon time as 3:10 or below. So a 4hr marathon for such a runner would be a VERY soft PR - although that's not surprising given that Oly triathlon training doesn't typically translate too well to acclimating to the pounding of seeking a marathon PR. 

2016-06-29 7:18 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by yazmaster

Originally posted by tedjohn I had a marathon PR (3:59:05) coming off of training for an Olympic distance race with about 4 weeks lead out. My goal was a sub 4. Not saying it will work for you but worth considering . . . Here's the long version: http://trited.blogspot.com/2012/02/can-you-cross-train-your-way-to....

Not to say your marathon result wasn't a good one, but if you're capable of running sub-19 5ks, both the Mcmillan calcs and the Daniels VDOT estimates will peg your marathon time as 3:10 or below. So a 4hr marathon for such a runner would be a VERY soft PR - although that's not surprising given that Oly triathlon training doesn't typically translate too well to acclimating to the pounding of seeking a marathon PR. 

Very Soft PR although those sub-19 5k's came when I was 17 years old. The Marathon PR was 20+ years later. The OP is interested in going sub 4 hours for a marathon based on a recent HIM. FWIW, the Marathon was by no means easy and I suffered greatly in the last 8 miles. I wouldn't recommend this as the optimal training option, but wanted to point out that it can be done that way.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri-training plan Run heavy for marathon training? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Combining Marathon Training and Tri Training

Started by runrachierun
Views: 2604 Posts: 12

2008-06-12 6:28 PM phillybarb

Tri training & marathon training

Started by sjgauge
Views: 1584 Posts: 18

2008-02-23 11:06 AM riorio

Heavy BIZ travelers & TRI training

Started by guncollector
Views: 1153 Posts: 11

2006-08-25 9:28 PM bmacdona

Tri Training and 1/2 Marathon Training.

Started by Crazypop
Views: 747 Posts: 3

2005-03-07 5:12 PM Crazypop

tri training and marathon training

Started by cece
Views: 1628 Posts: 11

2004-08-27 2:31 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Wouldn't it be cool if you could move your workouts around to different days? You can!

date : December 17, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
What if your workouts magically appeared in your calendar?
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : June 14, 2005
author : docgill
comments : 10
One year ago I was 90 pounds heavier and dreaming of being able to walk without a wobble. I never considered doing a triathlon.