General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adult Onset Triathlete's First Half Ironman: Success! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-29 11:51 AM

Subject: Adult Onset Triathlete's First Half Ironman: Success!
Gotta share here. I began a healthy lifestyle 15 months ago at age 59-1/2 by joining a gym where a lot of triathletes and runners work out. At the same time I modified my diet (more or less paleo), dropped 35 lbs and lowered my blood pressure and cholesterol to the point where I have discontinued medications for those conditions.

Last year I did a sprint tri in August. Three days ago I completed my second triathlon ever. I am a month shy of my 61st birthday and I am a finisher at my hometown Ironman 70.3 in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. It wasn't a blazing, podium performance. In fact, I completed the event in 8:21:59, barely 8 minutes ahead of the 8:30 allowed.

Coming from where I was to Half Ironman in 16 months, on some level I still have trouble wrapping my head around it.

My interest in triathlon began over six years as a volunteer captain at the Full Ironman CD'A. As each race day unfolded, I was inspired to one day be one of these athletes. And every year the motivation would eventually slip away, as in "what was I thinking...how could I could ever do this?"

Two winters ago I had some surgery and a painful home-bound recuperation. With this glimpse of what potentially lay ahead as my age advanced and wellness ebbed, I finally decided to act and I began the journey toward a healthier lifestyle.

I've worked very hard managing a workout schedule while extensively traveling for work this year. Like any triathlete, I've put in early morning and / or late night sessions, long Saturday brick workouts and I've had to balance family / triathlon. Fortunately, as an empty nester I don't have kids in the house and my wife supports what I am doing. I don't regret any of the long hours I have put in to get me here.

I write this not to brag (although I am really proud of myself) but to pass the spark to someone that might be lurking on this site, trying to find the motivation to guide their life toward health and vitality. Being a half Ironman is a nice accomplishment but the total rewards of this lifestyle mean so much more when looking at the big picture.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-06-29 11:52 AM

2016-06-29 12:06 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Adult Onset Triathlete's First Half Ironman: Success!
Good for you!

Congratulations.
2016-06-29 2:38 PM

Congratulations!! You definitely deserve to brag. Completing any kind of race, no matter how long it took is an awesome accomplishment.

My journey is similar to yours, although it took me a little longer to get where I am at today. Eight years ago I was about 100 pounds overweight and completely out of shape (I was 30 years old at the time). Decided to get in shape and change my diet so I wouldn't end up like so many people in my family (diabetic, high blood pressure, etc.). Over the course of these eight years I've lost over 100 pounds (I've been at a normal weight for the past 3 years), have completed 19 full marathons, 9 ultra marathons, 3 half ironman races, and 1 full IM. I will be dong my second full IM in September. My long term goal is to qualify for Boston in the next 2-3 years.

I always find it amazing what the body can do when you put your mind to it. I look back at some of the races I've done over the years and can't believe I had the physical and mental endurance to get through it. When I did my first IM, which took me 14 hours, I'm still in shock that I was physically able to move my body for that long.

Again, congratulations on your huge accomplishment!!
2016-06-29 7:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec
Inspiring. Thanks for sharing, Hayden and Kat...
2016-06-30 12:16 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Cool man! Keep it up!
2016-06-30 12:43 PM

Awesome job. Congrats. Glad to hear improving your diet was part of the equation. I know for myself that's the hardest part. I don't have issues with the workouts and my weight is fine but eating healthier is my biggest challenge. Something that I'm working on now rather than waiting until I'm much older. Keep up the good work.

2016-06-30 1:00 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

Master
, California

I raced Ironman CdA in 2010 and 2011, so maybe I saw you out there.  Big thanks to you and the other volunteers!

CdA is a special venue to race at because of the volunteers out there.  I'm glad you got to experience it from the racing side.  I can't think of many finish lines that compare.

2016-06-30 4:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
It is always nice to read stories such as yours - Well done!
Congratulations on both the race AND the healthy lifestyle changes.

2016-06-30 7:20 PM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Elite

Congrats to you! I completed/survived IM CDA 2015 and so wished I lived close enough to travel back for the half!  Way to embrace your health!  As a 46 year old with no plans of slowing down, your story convinces me I can continue this lifestyle for years to come!

2016-06-30 11:23 PM
in reply to: ingleshteechur

Wow Kim,

Ironman Cd'A 2015 was incomprehensible to me. 107 degrees F. You picked a heck of a year to do this race / venue. Well done.
2016-07-01 5:42 AM
in reply to: #5188988

Congrats and welcome to the club!

2016-07-01 9:17 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Originally posted by HaydenHunter

Being a half Ironman is a nice accomplishment but the total rewards of this lifestyle mean so much more when looking at the big picture.

I couldn't agree more. Congratulations on changing your life and on the HIM, and thanks for sharing some of your story with us.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Adult Onset Triathlete's First Half Ironman: Success! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Overcoming Adult Onset Swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by Lupy
Views: 3211 Posts: 33

2016-02-22 8:59 PM Goggles Pizzano

Zone 2 training and the "Adult Onset Runner" - 5k PR today

Started by DannyII
Views: 1085 Posts: 8

2014-04-21 10:07 AM RedCorvette

First time triathlete.....first time ironman......worried.

Started by adamrlowe
Views: 3868 Posts: 14

2014-07-16 2:26 PM Jason N

Time-Crunched Triathlete Training Program- Half Ironman?

Started by tmp1980
Views: 991 Posts: 1

2011-01-31 8:06 PM tmp1980

Adult Onset Athlete

Started by southernaquagoddess
Views: 2254 Posts: 21

2016-12-10 10:41 AM Jabezgal
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Snoball
California 1/2 Ironman: The run was my biggest fear. Prior to training, I had never run more than two miles at any given time.

date : October 2, 2005
author : writers2
comments : 20
My First Half Ironman Experience-A Slow, Fat, Old Triathlete. Here is my story of my first, and probably only Half Ironman. I’m an almost 52 year old, VERY Athena triathlete.
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 40
This half Ironman plan covers many weeks of challenging, but attainable training for someone who has some endurance experience, and ideally some Olympic distance races within the past season.