General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Day off advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-30 2:59 PM

Subject: Day off advice
I have been trying to do 2 training days of each sports but want to work in a strength training day. Do you guys use day 7 for weights or do you replace on of the sport days? Perhaps my strongest?

2016-06-30 3:50 PM
in reply to: Iank

Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Day off advice
I always have to recover more from a heavy ST day and wouldn't use it as a "day off" per se.

My one day off a week (Sunday usually) has no structured training. It's the one day I sleep in, don't think about training and just do some flexibility/core/mobility work with my roller and call it good!

I'd try to sneak in some ST on one of your less intense days so you have some energy to maintain good form.

There are so many philosophies out there regarding endurance training and ST, but I found that whenever I could fit it in mattered most. If you are training for a race, the endurance training SBR takes priority, especially if you are time crunched. Maybe right after a run, do a quick set of push ups, planks, burpees, squats/lunches,pull-ups etc depending on what you have access too. You are already warmed up, and can do them anywhere. If I can't fit in a gym weight session, I'll do some circuits at the park near my house where I cool down and can get some quality sets in pretty quickly.

Mondays and Wednesdays were the days where I have more time, so I try to sneak in 30-45 min between my run (early morning) and late morning spin class. But you can definitely get away with a 20 min body weight circuit if that's all the time you have.

Remember that recovery is just as much a priority as your scheduled training sessions.
2016-06-30 5:19 PM

User image

Regular
Tucson, AZ
You can never go wrong with making one day of the week completely off or super super easy.
2016-06-30 7:29 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I personally don't take scheduled days off. About 1-2 times a month personal schedule or other forces outside of my control will cause me to take a day off, so it's a floater.I've went 8-10 weeks without a day off.

My default baseline training week is 5 days of running, 3 swims, and 3 bikes. All runs are easy, with 4 being 4/5 milers and one 10-12 mile long run. Bikes are two interval sessions (trainer or outdoor) with one long ride of 50-60 miles and the swims are all 2,500-3.000m a piece.

I find that taking days completely off cause my muscles to be tight and I get all kinds of aches and pains. Monday's are an easy 4/5 mile run which is my "off" day. If my legs are feeling rough I'll do a swim only day to give them a break.

Off days work for most people, but not everyone. Not saying this is right, as it probably isn't for most, but it is what works for me so I figured I'd offer another perspective.
2016-06-30 10:10 PM
in reply to: #5189155

Sarasota, Florida
I would typically take a day of recovery after my leg squats day. Last year when I started this adventure I couldn't imagine not taking a day off if not 2 because my legs were so tight and sore. I haven't officially started training now but I miss exercise on my day off and found stretching more helps a lot. I might even start pulling some 7 days once I begin unless I start peeing foam with third degree sunburns and the like.
2016-07-01 7:27 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
A day off would be just that, a day completely off... and that's a VERY good idea. Most amateurs overtrain and do not take sufficient amount of time to recover, hence taking advantage of the training put it. Pro's (full time pro's at least), can schedule recovery time in a very different way (no pesky job to get in the way...).

I would recommend that the day you have scheduled to have off, do exactly that and spend it with the family, friends, running errands, etc.

2016-07-01 7:38 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by 3mar

I personally don't take scheduled days off. About 1-2 times a month personal schedule or other forces outside of my control will cause me to take a day off, so it's a floater.I've went 8-10 weeks without a day off.

My default baseline training week is 5 days of running, 3 swims, and 3 bikes. All runs are easy, with 4 being 4/5 milers and one 10-12 mile long run. Bikes are two interval sessions (trainer or outdoor) with one long ride of 50-60 miles and the swims are all 2,500-3.000m a piece.

I find that taking days completely off cause my muscles to be tight and I get all kinds of aches and pains. Monday's are an easy 4/5 mile run which is my "off" day. If my legs are feeling rough I'll do a swim only day to give them a break.

Off days work for most people, but not everyone. Not saying this is right, as it probably isn't for most, but it is what works for me so I figured I'd offer another perspective.

Now that I am in my late 40's I really can not go all week without taking a day off(or a very easy day).

10 years ago I could have with no problem, except raising 3 kids on my own I did not have enough time to workout as much as I wanted, now that the kids are older drive them selves everywhere, and the oldest is moving out. I have lots of time, but need more recovery time.
2016-07-01 3:51 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I preserve my days off.  I would add the ST to a run day, and use the run as a warmup (if it's an upper body workout.)  If you're doing a leg heavy workout then pair with a swim.   Some of that is logistical.  I didn't look at your log, but I assume if you're only doing 2 workouts per sport they are not super long/intense.  It takes some time to get into a schedule.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Day off advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Drop Bike Off Day Before Or Bring Bike Day Of

Started by guppie58
Views: 1223 Posts: 7

2012-08-07 8:59 PM sulross

Easy day or day off?

Started by KatieLimb
Views: 739 Posts: 12

2012-04-23 12:07 PM csschafer

6-day-a-week runners: off day?

Started by Brownie28
Views: 984 Posts: 15

2009-10-20 8:46 AM KathyG

Advice for pulling wetsuit off

Started by GatorGirl22
Views: 1647 Posts: 9

2006-04-12 9:34 PM tripol

Off the couch, I wanna Tri - any advice?????

Started by iwannatri
Views: 709 Posts: 11

2005-05-02 5:01 PM H13
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Free Triathlon Online Mentoring Open Now

date : May 5, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
A few tips for beginners during taper week to settle your nerves. Includes a race day checklist and some race day tips.
date : January 27, 2009
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on the off season, maximum amount of days one should be running, heart-rate zone testing and outdoor off season strength workouts.

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Is there a magic number of days off for your training plan? Is it a one size fits all or an an individual choice?
date : June 14, 2005
author : tomp
comments : 1
Tips on swimming, biking and running to race-day lessons from this beginners first five months of training.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.