General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fit help for a newbie... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-06-30 7:57 PM

Subject: Fit help for a newbie...
Hi guys!

Would love some fit advice... At this point I can't manage to make it to a fitter anytime soon... anything to change?

I'm 5'10.5 and this is a 54 P3

Pics:

http://imgur.com/a/obuoB

Edited by wowst12 2016-06-30 7:59 PM

2016-06-30 8:26 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Fit help for a newbie...
I'm guessing those pics are static ?

You probably angle your foot differently when you pedal. You knee angle is a little open but I bet that's because the pic is static

A video would be more telling

Edited by marcag 2016-06-30 8:26 PM
2016-06-30 8:31 PM

Double post

Edited by wowst12 2016-06-30 8:33 PM
2016-06-30 8:33 PM
in reply to: marcag

Originally posted by marcag

You probably angle your foot differently when you pedal. You knee angle is a little open but I bet that's because the pic is static

True, here's a video
https://youtu.be/5OHYkXTGdHs
2016-07-01 5:30 AM
in reply to: wowst12

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by wowst12

True, here's a video

I would experiment with got forward with the seat, down and a bit forward in front. You are much better than many.
2016-07-01 6:47 AM

True, here's a video

I would experiment with got forward with the seat, down and a bit forward in front. You are much better than many.

Can you please elaborate on this?

Move post down
move saddle forward

What do you mean by down and a bit forward in front?

2016-07-01 6:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

True, here's a video

Can you please elaborate on this?

Move post down
move saddle forward

What do you mean by down and a bit forward in front?

The idea is to rotate your entire body counter clockwise (from the non drive side), around the bottom bracket.

So your seat goes slightly forward (maybe a bit up to preserve seat height). Your pads go forward and a bit down. As I said, take the pic, rotate it counter clockwise around the BB. All your angles of your body are preserved. You are just riding steeper and lower in front.

You seem to be far enough back that you can do this. Not sure, pictures are not ideal. At one point going too far forward can cause other problems, such as power production.

Your bike seems to have the ability to go lower in front by removing a few spacers.
Whether moving forward in the front or not is not clear. Not sure your pad or extensions allow this or if it's needed. That you would have to experiment with

ME, because of my position, I can move the equivalent of 5cm forward for 3cm down and 3cm forward. OR part of that, for example 2.5/1.5/1.5.

I am not saying this would be a better fit, I'm saying I would try it to see if I can get lower in front, as comfortable and not compromise power production.

I would get an app on an iphone or ipad and measure angles. I would be very methodical in measuring everything before and after
2016-07-01 7:21 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Not that I'm a tt bike expert. I am STILL playing with my position. I feel like I am irritating my LBS lol
But couldn't he flip the stem to more negative without changing seat position to start with?
2016-07-01 7:25 AM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by TJHammer

Not that I'm a tt bike expert. I am STILL playing with my position. I feel like I am irritating my LBS lol
But couldn't he flip the stem to more negative without changing seat position to start with?

Sure he can. BUT, all he is doing is going down in the front, closing his hip angle. At one point you will compromise power production.

A closed hip is one of the reasons people produce less watts on their tri bike.

FYI, theoretically, removing spacers is more aero that flipping stems. Theoretically
2016-07-01 7:25 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It's actually a pretty good fit. You're a little tall in front, but not extremely so. If you're not very flexible and/or you race longer distances, I would keep it the way it is. If you're only doing sprint and TT's, then it would be beneficial to drop the front slightly, move forward slightly. Otherwise, keep it.
2016-07-01 7:46 AM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

Sure he can. BUT, all he is doing is going down in the front, closing his hip angle. At one point you will compromise power production.

FYI, theoretically, removing spacers is more aero that flipping stems. Theoretically

Why I brought up that point, because I'm in the same spot as the OP playing with position. I'm sure many can atest to this, when a tt position is new for you ....you're constantly asking yourself " should I this feel this way...should my triceps be working this hard to balance me, how often is too often when fixing myself back on the saddle.....are my hips open TOO much.....should I decrease angle in the saddle, should I go wider/narrow my pads, etc etc etc"

You're making me consider taking out my remaining spacers instead of flipping the stem back down

2016-07-01 7:46 AM

Edited by Hydark 2016-07-01 7:52 AM
2016-07-01 7:55 AM

I agree, I definitely have 1-2cm of spacers there, however I'm concerned about comfort for longer races. As it is my neck is kinda sore this morning. Im also concerned about lack of control with going lower via stem flip not to mention having my knee hit my chest
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fit help for a newbie... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bike Fit - Newbie Question

Started by svalenzuela
Views: 621 Posts: 3

2013-06-05 12:57 PM svalenzuela

newbie used bike fit/test ?

Started by vin001
Views: 659 Posts: 3

2009-07-12 7:59 PM vin001

Professional Fitting Help

Started by jimmyb
Views: 760 Posts: 2

2009-02-06 6:53 PM Shermbelle

P2C fit help!!

Started by LA Reed
Views: 972 Posts: 4

2008-04-14 10:57 AM Daremo

I need some help with fit

Started by gall1972
Views: 813 Posts: 6

2006-07-14 3:38 PM DeannaS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : July 30, 2012
author : jamesjbettis
comments : 4
Because triathlon can become a lifestyle, it can also become very complicated. But, it doesn’t have to.
date : November 9, 2010
author : lithelola
comments : 5
A bumbling non-athlete makes her determined way to the Nation's Triathlon finish line!

date : May 11, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Motion capture technology with 2D and 3D analysis offers some powerful benefits compared to just a standard bike fit.
date : April 14, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
The bike fitters at Fit Werx talk about all the components of a triathlon bike fit and how it relates to aerodynamics and the individual.

date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : July 31, 2005
author : Mottyl
comments : 6
I had read the articles on BT, I'd trained, and I thought I had prepared. There were, however, a few things that I didn't internalize despite what I'd been told.