General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Challenge Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-03 3:42 AM

Subject: New Challenge
Morning all, I live in Sheffield and currently run approx 40k a week (1x 20k and 2x 10k) and cycle 60k once a week. I'm an OK swimmer but only indoors and mainly breaststroke, I've challenged myself to compete in some triathlon events but obviously need to work on my swimming, firstly on my front crawl and then outdoors in a swimsuit. I'm looking at joining the local triathlon club here in Sheffield and getting involved in some sessions and already getting some great info and advice from this site.

2016-07-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: ajsullivan

Subject: RE: New Challenge
Welcome.

I, too am working to be a more proficient crawl stroke swimmer. But if you are good in breaststroke don't wait to start signing up for events. I just breast stroked my way to finishing a half Ironman. Stay outside in order to be considerate to others and not kick anyone. Is it better to crawl and save your legs for the bike and run? Yes. But don't let the fact that you're not there yet dissuade you from racing.

Have fun.
2016-07-03 2:21 PM
in reply to: #5189395

Sounds like good advice thanks mate, still need to get some outdoor swim sessions in so I can get used to the swimsuit and wearing run/cycle kit with it. I'll have a look on the race list and get something booked in as a spur.
2016-07-04 12:11 PM
in reply to: ajsullivan

Yes, you don't want your first outdoor open water swim to be on race day. There is a big difference between having your own lane in clear water in a swimming pool and an open water swim where you can't see the bottom and hundreds or thousands of other swimmers are thrashing about in the same location as you are.
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » New Challenge Rss Feed