General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » G'day from Oz Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-04 6:59 AM

Subject: G'day from Oz
G'day everyone. Newby from Australia here (actually a dual US citizen but yet to return to visit).

Not very many years ago I was depressed, anxious, overweight, and as unfit as I've ever been. My recovery involved a decision to commit to exercise because I know that statistically and experientially it works as well as antidepressants. I went on a diet, got a FitBit, started walking, a few little runs, some cycling, and started working out at the gym. My body started changing and my mental recovery was also under way.

I recently accepted the fact that my body is suited to, and my mind loves, cardio way more than bulking. Cycling was a bit boring on its own and thought I'd try to run again after giving up some years ago (metal post in tibia following fracture plus 3 arthroscopies to tidy up some meniscal tears). Had some knee pain after doing "too much too soon" but the sports physio has helped and so far so good. Have discovered I have a Morton's Neuroma in my foot which is painful after 7-10 km and will need surgery I think but the sports pod has helped me with wider shoes and a small, flat dome insert to spread the bones.

So running on its own is limiting but I need more cardio. Hang on! I can ride and all Aussies can swim so... so then it occurred to me I could put a swim and a ride and a run together so I put together a little 500, 10k, 5k on my own and had a blast! Then two days later did a 750m, 20k, 10k. I was pretty proud of that and it gave me confidence and a taste for this sport. I've never been an athlete as such; just played various individual sports for fun.

Now I'm 49 and as fit as I've ever been. Since I decided to enter a Tri I have been training a bit more consistently and I can see myself getting fitter in future and breaking the mental boundaries I've had ("I can't run", "I'm too old", yada yada). I've been reading up on the sport and keen to learn some better technique for all three disciplines.

I can't wait to take off in my first event (which will have to wait until September I think).

Anyway, thanks for listening. Hope to chat soon.

2016-07-04 2:27 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: G'day from Oz
Originally posted by ThereIsNoTri

Now I'm 49 and as fit as I've ever been. Since I decided to enter a Tri I have been training a bit more consistently and I can see myself getting fitter in future and breaking the mental boundaries I've had ("I can't run", "I'm too old", yada yada).
I started down this road at age 59 and really out of shape. The last running I did was at age 24. I just finished a Half Ironman last weekend. By the way, I half walked and half ran the run portion. I was not looking to be on the podium...finishing was my personal goal and man did it feel good.

I volunteered at the full Ironman in my town for 6 years and along the way, received many points of inspiraiton. Including the 74 year old that told me "It's never too late to start. I never ran a mile until after I was 60 years old."

Good for you and your journey back to health. I can relate.

Edited by HaydenHunter 2016-07-04 2:31 PM
2016-07-05 8:20 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Welcome to BT, which part of Australia do you live in?
2016-07-05 8:21 AM
in reply to: ThereIsNoTri

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Welcome!!
2016-07-09 3:51 AM
in reply to: ThereIsNoTri

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

'Over East' as you guys in WA call it, Stacey. Around Bondi.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » G'day from Oz Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

G'Day from Oz!

Started by Lenni
Views: 875 Posts: 7

2009-10-08 10:01 PM bondgirl

G'day from Australia

Started by bree_jenkins
Views: 905 Posts: 7

2005-03-09 6:46 AM Heavyfist

Another "G'day" from Down Under