General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-04 4:43 PM

User image

Subject: Heart Rate Training
Hi!

I have recently started wearing a heart rate monitor consistently while training.

My heart rate upon waking is 53-58 bpm, and hovers below 70 during the day.

When I work out, my heart rate gets high very quickly - example - will be running with someone and talking reasonably comfortably and my hrm will be 184.

Ive just started working with a coach and the LTHR test (I think it's by Joe Friel) gave back a threshold value of 192.

Google says this is not good. Im waiting for a couple of test results but nobody seems overy concerned.

Has anyone else experienced this - a higher than normal heart rate? Could my chest be interfering with the strap? (I'm rather large chested).

Thanks!

P.s. did my first sprint 2 weekends ago and I'm hooked....

2016-07-04 7:47 PM
in reply to: #5189536

User image

, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Training
Check your HR manually and compare if you don't believe it.

Your muscles are probably at the point they are stronger than your heart and lungs. Probably need to work on developing your aerobic base. Then your muscles won't over power your heart. You're probably a solid zone 3 trainer.
2016-07-04 9:06 PM
in reply to: tigrrruns

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
We are all unique. If you're concerned about what you're seeing, talk to your DR. A google search and and MD degree are not the same thing.

With that being said, we are all unique, and normal for us as individuals may not be normal for the general population. Over time, you'll get a feel for how you as an individual respond to training and different levels of training intensity. Don't get concerned about general "norms", but collect enough data to recognize what is normal for you.

One of the guys I train with is about the same age and weight as I am. Our training loads are very similar, but his HR is almost always 20 to 30 BPM slower than mine. Normal for me is not normal for him!
2016-07-05 11:33 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by g_shotts We are all unique. If you're concerned about what you're seeing, talk to your DR. A google search and and MD degree are not the same thing. With that being said, we are all unique, and normal for us as individuals may not be normal for the general population. Over time, you'll get a feel for how you as an individual respond to training and different levels of training intensity. Don't get concerned about general "norms", but collect enough data to recognize what is normal for you. One of the guys I train with is about the same age and weight as I am. Our training loads are very similar, but his HR is almost always 20 to 30 BPM slower than mine. Normal for me is not normal for him!

100% agree - don't worry about what Google says.  It sounds like you're doing the right thing and asking your doctor and getting tests to be safe.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum.  My resting HR is like 38 and I max at 160 in a 5K finish.  My bike LHTR is 134ish and running is around 140.  Everybody's different.

2016-07-05 12:37 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Yay! You are hooked! Anyway, I recommend you do a field test and use BT to calculate your zones.

Run LTHR test:

Warm up for 15 minutes with a few 20-30 second bursts to get your HR up. Hit lap and run for 30 minutes as hard as you can. After 10 minutes, hit lap again and take the average HR for the last 20 minutes. That's your LTHR for running. Make sure you finish knowing you gave it all you've got but not puking.

Bike LTHR is usually around 5-10 bpm less than running. The bike test protocol is similar to the run but you have to find a good stretch of road with a slight incline that will allow you to ride the whole 30 minutes continuously. Be in a gear you manage between 85-90rpm.
2016-07-05 1:50 PM

User image

Aledo, Texas

I'm in the same boat (minus the big chest).

Going by the "talk" test, what I perceive to be easy, my HR is way higher than expected. My coach is often surprised at how divergent my HR is from what he would expect based on my pace and past workout data. That gets really frustrating when I'm told to run a certain pace, but keep my HR under a certain level and back off the pace if I hit the cap. Inevitably, I hit the HR cap and then have to ease off so much that I'm more than a minute per mile slower than goal pace for the workout.

Personally, I like the theory that "everyone is different", as it means nothing needs to be changed. But, I am very strongly considering doing a LTHR test at the beginning of offseason and then doing nothing but HR running at an easy effort. 

Let me know if you hear something more definitive.

2016-07-06 4:24 AM
in reply to: #5189546

User image

Thanks for the info.

Good to know everyone is different. I have just stared working with a coach and we did the LTHR test and ate now doing 'heart rate' training, so we will see how it goes.

Happy Trails!
2016-07-06 6:43 AM

User image

, North Carolina
If your LTHR is 192 a heart rate of 184 is still Zone 4. Which would seem to be pretty high for a be talking reasonably comfortably.

What does it feel like when you are running at 170?

Can you describe how you did your LTHR test?

I'm mostly just curious because my wife is very similar with her HR.
2016-07-06 8:40 AM
in reply to: LundyLund

User image

I agree with the everyone is different theory.

Be careful combining goals with different measures for single training events. If you are training by heart rate figure out the zone you want to be in and keep it there. With beginners especially, I think training at a specific pace can be detrimental if not dangerous. What makes a 10 min mile right for you on any given day? If you are slightly under the weather, maybe a little dehydrated or say the temperature is higher than you are used to or the humidity just went up. Training to hit a specific pace is a good way for beginners to end up back on the couch due to injuries or burn out. Setting goals of distance or time with a perceived effort or heart rate. TO be clear I am not recommending running everything at the same distance or effort, after variety is important. It is just that using a specific speed can lead to big problems.
2016-07-07 4:31 AM
in reply to: Nick B

User image

I did the LTHR test like this:

Went to the track and did some walking/jogging/drills.

Press start on my watch, run as hard as I can for 10 min, hit lap.

Then run for 20 more minutes as hard as I can and hit lap.

Very similar to what was described above.

Running with a heart rate of 170 feels like I am barely moving. Come to think of it, even if I'm going slowly, I don't stay below 170 for long.

Today's my first run - a tempo run - using my HR as a guide, so we'll see how it goes.
2016-07-07 7:17 AM

User image

, North Carolina
Thanks for that information.

I think that I'm going to have my wife do a LTHR test and go from there.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Training Rss Feed