General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which wheels to buy?! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-07 7:46 AM

Subject: Which wheels to buy?!
First, apologies for a long post but I beg the help of those out there who have ridden on aero wheelsets (because I never have) to weigh in on my possibly imminent purchase of a wheelset. Done lots of research and reading, but these conversations often happen online when geared toward road crit racing or climbing alpe d huez, I need opinion of trusted folks on BT!

About me: I ride a trek road bike, currently I have vuelta corsa lite 30mm wheelset. For tris, I throw on clips ons and PD fast forward post and can average 21 mph for sprints and 19 or 20 for olys. I have come to the sad conclusion that I can't afford or make the space in the apartment for a 2nd bike, so I want to go with nice wheels as an upgrade that are also easily transferrable to a tri bike if I get one in next year or two. Budget is around 11 or 1200. My goal with this purchase is to enhance my experience of everyday riding more so than eke out every millisecond of savings on race day, though with an aero wheelset I'd certainly save a few seconds in races too which is nice. Everything out there says that nicer wheels are snappier, feel faster, smoother, and just flat out make riding more fun. First, is this true? Should I expect a significant increase in fun factor?

Based on recent/current online sales, I have the following options: Reynolds Strike SLG, Hed Jet 5, Hed Jet 6. I thought about flo, but if I was going to go carbon clinchers I can get the strikes for the same price or less, and the aluminum/carbon flo models are just too heavy. I live in connecticut, there's lots of short steeps (18%+) around. Im not a weight weenie but a 2050 gram wheelset isnt something i want. Jets are same type of wheel and 350 grams lighter.

Basically it comes down to...The jets have the aluminum brake track. More reliable braking, and I don't have to switch brake pads if I wanted to use my vueltas on a given day. The strikes would presumably be a tiny bit faster, but might they be less durable than the jets given they are full carbon clincher? I'd like to use the wheels fairly often in training, not put them in a closet until race day, so durability is important.

Right now I think I'm leaning toward the Hed 6 based on versatility and durability, but braking aside are carbon clinchers that much better to ride?

Thanks for any help or opinion!

2016-07-07 9:00 AM
in reply to: PBT_2009

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Which wheels to buy?!
HED Jet's are pretty much bomb proof and once you started to ride them, you're never going to go back to the Vuelta's again. I find the Jet6's to be a good compromise between weight, aerodynamics and comfort. Used to race Jet9's on my road bike, Jet9/JetDisc on my tri bike, but now moved to Zipp808FC/Zipp Super9 on my tri bike and ENVE 6.7's on my road bike.

The full carbon braking surfaces has come a long way over the last few years. When combined with good brake pads, it's pretty much no difference between aluminum brake surface and carbon brake surface (except when it's really down pouring, then aluminum is still a bit better).

I would get the HED's over the Reynolds. I doubt the Reynolds are any faster (but I could be convinced they might be slower).
2016-07-07 8:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I had a pair of Vuelta 30 mm wheels too. The good thing about them was I could replace the bearings easily.

I've been riding in the Granby/Suffield/ Somers/Stafford areas in Connecticut this season. I've noticed the road surface is not as smooth as I'm used to. In fact, After 3 seasons of riding, I have finally had to re-true my front wheel. I wouldn't buy carbon aero wheels for everyday use in Connecticut. I would buy Williams 30 aluminum wheels. I have an older version, and have been happy with them. The new version wheels are 31mm deep by 24mm wide. The wider width will help spread the tire a little wider to reduce rolling resistance and give a more comfortable ride. Truing the wheel is easy with exposed nipples. Use a 23mm tire on the front and a 25 mm on the rear wheel (clearance permitting). Inflate to 90 PSI.

Edited by Six000MileYear 2016-07-07 8:56 PM
2016-07-08 6:28 AM
in reply to: #5189874

I am down in the stamford/greenwich area. The roads immediately surrounding my apartment are a little rough, but once I'm 2 miles into my ride, I have to say most of my regular roads are in excellent shape.
2016-07-08 6:39 PM
in reply to: #5190000

Soooo I just ordered the jets. Competitivecyclist.com, the price was 999 when I was originally looking and I checked again and it went to 899. That's all the extra push I needed. I took it as a sign.

Can't wait to get em mounted up!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which wheels to buy?! Rss Feed