General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two questions in one.... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-07 12:13 PM

User image

Subject: Two questions in one....

So, I've got two questions but rather than take up two threads, I figured I would just pile them in to one post. For all I know they're connected.

1-- water retention.
Most people talk about how they lose water weight on long runs/heavy training sessions, etc. I've noticed lately that my body is doing the opposite. I'm retaining it. My weight will actually go UP several pounds (sometimes up to 5 or 6) after particularly heavy sessions. I trained for my first half marathon as part of my training for sprint triathlons, and every time I would do a long run my body would bloat. And, now I've noticed it's a pretty consistent and annoying thing that happens with big sessions. It also doesn't seem to matter if I drink water, or gatorade or any combination thereof. It also doesn't appear to matter how much/little I intake either.

2-- I think I have managed to burn out my quads. I've been training pretty heavy the last week because I'm a teacher and I'm off work. But I've hit the point where yesterday I tried to run and couldn't even get through 5k and today I did a 14km bike at a gentle speed and my legs just felt exhausted. I had a rest day yesterday and all I did was yoga and walk the dogs but I'm still finding my legs are just DONE. I am worried about losing training time because my friend is excelling in her training and I seem to have hit a wall. I figured that the time off work would be helpful but my body is just having none of it. She nearly beat me in the last race we did (partly because of equipment failure -- but some of it is that I can't seem to push as hard) and at this point, I will be lucky if I can get my legs to move the way I want.

I'm curious as to how to deal with the water retention and the exhausted legs. I'm assuming some of the water retention could be inflammation?
I'd really like to push hard the next couple of weeks to improve before my next race but I'm at a loss. I struggle to stretch properly because I'm a dancer as well and hyper mobile which means that traditional stretches don't tend to work.

2016-07-07 1:13 PM
in reply to: dramaqueenjs

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Two questions in one....
How much fluid are you drinking during a 1 hour work out? How hot is it and are you sweating at all? Too much salt? You might just be over hydrating.

The quad thing is easy and you already addressed the problem with your first sentence! You need to take off at least three consecutive days. You said you had an off day and only did yoga… yoga is not an off day! Take 3, let your quads recuperate and rebuild. You'll feel like an Olympian during your next workout. If not, take another 3 off. You're going to injure yourself otherwise. You can get in situation where your hips and calves are pulling the load to compensate for your quads. That imbalance can really cause an injury that might sideline you for the rest of the summer. I've done it before!
2016-07-07 1:44 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Subject: RE: Two questions in one....
My friend who is a coach for high level pole vaulters told me that yoga or stretching would be a good thing to do on a rest day because it keeps me moving without putting major demands on my body so I just went with her advice.

In my head I know you're right about taking more rest time but the idea just kills me! I have so little time left before the next race and I have to get used to dealing with hills. I'm a prairie girl and use to pretty flat and this next race is in a different province and pretty hilly so I've been trying to hit the hills at my cottage as much as possible to get my body ready for it. I guess I've hit too hard.

As for the water retention -- temperature doesn't seem to matter, how much/little hydration doesn't seem to matter. Maybe I will have to pay closer attention to the sodium. It's a newer thing and I'm not really diggin it
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Two questions in one.... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Two muscles at once

Started by BellaDad
Views: 675 Posts: 1

2008-04-11 4:50 PM BellaDad

Sick of PF questions? This one is different

Started by nickesch
Views: 866 Posts: 2

2008-03-15 2:48 AM Cyclingmaniac

just two problems...yeah right!

Started by Tuckles
Views: 673 Posts: 2

2006-05-13 2:34 PM CindyK

one calf is bigger than the other!

Started by cristin1124
Views: 11420 Posts: 18

2005-07-26 3:48 PM clflgrl

One duck foot

Started by DBMartin68
Views: 871 Posts: 3

2005-05-21 6:37 PM DBMartin68
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 0
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 19, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
The reason why you may have trouble breathing bilaterally (to both sides) is that you are not balanced in the water, either on one side or both. Here are some basic drills.
date : September 8, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on racing in the heat, electrolytes, weightloss and long distance training, the best way to improve your run, taper psychology, the best gel and the benefits of a swim stroke analysis.

date : June 23, 2006
author : Team BT
One Arm Dumbbell Row strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
Wetsuit guide for triathletes - manufacturers, sizing and maintenance.