World Triathlon Corporation
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 27m 29s
Overall Rank = 438/2221
Age Group = 222
Age Group Rank = 11/73
Pre-race routine:

I got up around 2am and did some stretching and ate a breakfast of oatmeal and OJ. I had pretty much set up my gear the night before so I read for a while and headed for Muncie a little after 3. On the way out of town I picked up a bottle of water to drink on the way to the race and have a throw away for the start of the bike.
One additional item that I think was somewhat important is I did a very thorough job of cleaning and lubricating my bike drive train. When I was done, you couldn't hear any noise from the chain or derailleur.
Event warmup:

I did a few minutes of swimming to warm up prior to the swim. I had a salt capsule and 3 chews 30 minutes prior to the start.
Swim
  • 43m 10s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the worst swim I have had. The start was congested and there was a lot of bumping. Once things spread out i was doing OK. My swimming was easy and i felt I could go forever. After the second turn and heading back to the beach, things kind of fell apart. The Sun was just off the horizon and right in line with where we were headed. I could not see the buoys at all and had to stop and loo around numerous times to shield my eyes and get my bearings. I had to change course several times to make sure i was rounding all the buoys. For the last half of the swim, I got numerous cramps in my right foot and a coupe whoppers in my right calf. This also required me stopping to pull the cramp out. I think most of the people in front of me that i could see int he distance were rounding any of the buoys. In hind sight, I'm not sure we had to round the buoys on the way back in, although I'm pretty sure most of the people in front of me did not. there were only 7 out of 73 people that broke 40 minutes for the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I need a better plan for sighting and would move to the side at the start. I was in the thick of things and this slowed me down. I need to figure out what to do about the cramping as well. I should have drank more water 30 minutes prior to the start.
Transition 1
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

There was a long run from the beach to transition. I managed to put my heel down on a large stone under the mat running from the beach. I was a bit slow getting my shoes and helmet on.

I should practice my transitions more.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.24 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my best bike I think of all the tris I have done. I was shooting for 75-85% ftp and was right on the nose with 200W average and 204W normalized power (ftp 250). I kept up with drinking and taking nutrition every 10 minutes or so, have 4-5 swallows of water along with 2 Stinger chews. The starting temperature on the bike was 70°F. Being in the first swim wave, the road was pretty much clear for the 1st lap. The second lap was VERY congested. There were a lot of weaving slow riders and there were some close calls and one crash that I saw. The riders were so closely spaced there was no way to keep 6 bike length spacing, but I did my best to follow the rules. I was getting the urge to pee with about 45 minutes to go, but figured I would take care of that in transition as there were porta-potties and I new transition would be pretty much clear. I had a salt capsule at around 1:45.

Just work to bring my FTP up.
Transition 2
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

I took a pee upon entering transition. It was a bit darker that I would have lighted, but not dark amber. I was worried about hydration for the run. My hamstrings were very tight and I couldn't move too fast at first. I struggled getting my water belt on (it doesn't work too well upside-down) and my shoes on.

Put belt on right-side up.
Run
  • 1h 57m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to drink 4-5 oz of liquid every mile and keep a pace that would allow me to drink sufficiently and absorb the liquid. I had 4 10 oz bottles, 2 with 50/50 Gatorade Endurance and 2 with water. I was keeping a reasonably good pace for the 1st half - faster than I was planning on, but not by too much. I was keeping up with my drinking plan and was glad I had my bottles to I could gauge how much I was drinking. As i got to the turn around, my quads were starting to get pretty sore and my stomach was getting a little bit queasy, but not as bad as previous races. I slowed down and grabbed more water and Gatorade from an aid station and mixed it ~50/50 and slowed way down to drinking. The last 3 miles seemed to go on forever but my stomach stayed OK but my legs were very sore. My knees weren't too bad, which was one positive thing. All but 3 miles were under 9 minute pace, which I was happy about.

Injuries earlier in the year really impacted my run training. I think I could do better with more consistent training.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't do much. My legs were cramping up and my stomach was very queasy. I got food at the food tent and had 2 bottles of water and a Coke with what I ate. I was pretty much forcing myself to eat and drink because of my stomach, but I knew I needed to refuel and get more liquid into me.
On the drive home I stopped at a rest stop and slept for about 20 minutes and then got some coffee for the drive home. I could barely keep my eyes open before the nap. I probably should have done this at the race site before leaving, but I wanted to beat the traffic leaving the race site.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run and swim fitness and continued (albeit improved) issues with hydration. Since I'm now 58 and this was my PR for the HIM distance (21.3mph for the bike vs. previous best of 19.7mph) I can't complain.

Event comments:

This was a very well run race.

Last updated: 2016-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:10 | 2112 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/73
Overall: 794/2221
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: This was a triangular course with the buoys to the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:38:12 | 56 miles | 21.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/73
Overall: 421/2221
Performance: Good
I decided not to put on my HR monitor. My slowest 5 mile split was 20.3mph and the fastest was 22.6.
Wind: Some
Course: 4 -5 of some moderately rough pavement and then two big repeat loops on a closed highway with great pavement.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:57:29 | 13.1 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/73
Overall: 438/2221
Performance: Good
HR monitor gave bad data the second half of the run (too low). I shouldn't have wasted the time putting it on. 1st half of run average 8:44 pace, and second half 9:13 pace.
Course: Out and back on course with rolling hills. I think it was getting into the 80s during the run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-07-10 6:44 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

2016-07-10 9:43 AM
in reply to: #5190209

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie
Great race report- and great race! Don't be so hard on yourself (although your self-expectations might be higher than mine).
2016-07-13 8:51 AM
in reply to: #5190209

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie
Nice race, Nickster! That swim was tough, especially the return leg with the sun right in your face. I never saw the buoys until I was right on them. I'm glad everyone else could sight well, b/c I sure couldn't! Great job on the bike and keeping up with your nutrition! Bike PR is a bonus! The run was tough, IMO, and I felt similar to you at the end...I waited to eat a while, though, as I just felt I could not stomach anything.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muncie Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by miyutris
Views: 2439 Posts: 7

2011-07-10 7:48 PM wallico

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by beadams
Views: 2124 Posts: 3

2011-07-10 7:41 PM Oldteen

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by marathongirl11
Views: 2439 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 4:41 PM jillian_o

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by
Views: 1052 Posts: 1

2011-07-10 8:18 AM

Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Started by brendon_moody
Views: 2874 Posts: 7

2013-01-05 7:24 PM MFConlon
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 28, 2012
author : packetron
comments : 4
My personal experience to complete the Ironman 70.3

date : October 8, 2009
author : brianyanowski
comments : 2
Some mistakes I made during the Hawaii Ironman 70.3. Don't be caught out on the course not knowing how or not having the equipment to change a flat tire.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.

date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.
date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.

date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.