General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bicycle Shorts Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-12 7:48 AM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: Bicycle Shorts Questions
I did my longest ride this past Saturday (96 miles) in preparation for a century ride at the end of August. I finished my ride, although barely. Amongst poor nutrition (which is why I did such a long training ride and will do at least a couple more so I can dial in my nutrition needs) my quads were starting to cramp around mile 70. So those last 25 miles or so were hard to finish. I couldn't stand up to pedal because my legs wanted to lock and it was hard pedaling up most hills. I was doing a lot of 11mph up hills It also helped lead to some mental fatigue too.
Also in those last 25 miles my nether region was getting sore.
I wore a pair of Zoot performance 6" tri shorts that I wear all the time. They have a thin chamois which I like. I do not like the thick pads of regular cycling shorts.

But I'm thinking that maybe on really long rides, a thicker pad would be better?
What do 140.6 athletes wear?
Surely they don't wear a huge padded short while swimming and their butt's just get used to a smaller chamois on the bike?

Also, if I wore a longer pair of shorts, like some kind of compression shorts, could that help my quads not to cramp so much?
Or do some of you wear a pair of compression shorts on top of your padded cycling shorts (or vice versa)?

Just trying to make some sense of why my ride turned so miserable and went downhill at the end.

2016-07-12 8:22 AM
in reply to: jjupiter100

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Subject: RE: Bicycle Shorts Questions
A couple answers.

On longer rides were bike specific shorts with a thicker pad.
Also, there are some chamois creams with ridiculous names that can really help. Experiment with them during training.

I wouldn't try multiple shorts attempting more compression. Training, pacing and nutrition will help with leg cramping the most.

Finally, for 140.6 events I've always worn tri-shorts and have used chamois cream. This is pretty common. There are also a large group of people that do full changes between events because they perform better when comfortable.

Finally, not all bike saddles are created equally. You may need to try experiment there if you just can't get comfortable.

2016-07-12 9:37 AM

User image

Exton, PA
First try some chamois cream, I don't know anyone that does centuries without some. I typically apply on any ride over 50 miles.

Tri shorts or thin pad bike shorts can work fine on long rides. I have 2 bike bibs the one with the thinner pad is actually better on long distance rides. It's just a better quality.

As for your legs hurting, yea that's called a long ride You may have been going harder then you should have for that distance or not taken in enough water, or just need to get used to it.
2016-07-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

+ whatever on the chamois cream - anything over an hour or so and I use it.  As for shorts, I use the DeSoto Forza tri shorts, which has a 4mm pad that is a nice balance between the really thin fleece ones and the diaper-size ones.

2016-07-12 11:23 AM

Not to induce terribly rude responses....
But, regarding application of said creams....

Where? How?

I mean, I'll do 50-60 miles pretty regularly with no issues...either in tri-shorts or cycling shorts.
Towards fall, I'm going to start pushing that a little further.
I think I would know "where" to put it....if I've had issues. I just haven't had any....issues.
Just trying to be a little proactive here.

And I'm being totally honest and serious in asking this. I swear I'm not trying to take this into the gutter.
2016-07-12 1:01 PM
in reply to: jhaack39

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jhaack39 Not to induce terribly rude responses.... But, regarding application of said creams.... Where? How? I mean, I'll do 50-60 miles pretty regularly with no issues...either in tri-shorts or cycling shorts. Towards fall, I'm going to start pushing that a little further. I think I would know "where" to put it....if I've had issues. I just haven't had any....issues. Just trying to be a little proactive here. And I'm being totally honest and serious in asking this. I swear I'm not trying to take this into the gutter.

No worries, and no gutter answer here.  I squirt some out of the tube onto the chamois (or I guess synthetic pad LOL) and rub it in.  I don't apply directly to my body.

2016-07-12 1:41 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by jhaack39 Not to induce terribly rude responses.... But, regarding application of said creams.... Where? How? I mean, I'll do 50-60 miles pretty regularly with no issues...either in tri-shorts or cycling shorts. Towards fall, I'm going to start pushing that a little further. I think I would know "where" to put it....if I've had issues. I just haven't had any....issues. Just trying to be a little proactive here. And I'm being totally honest and serious in asking this. I swear I'm not trying to take this into the gutter.

No worries, and no gutter answer here.  I squirt some out of the tube onto the chamois (or I guess synthetic pad LOL) and rub it in.  I don't apply directly to my body.

I assume....that's....uh....on the 'inside' of the pad? Not on the outside. Must be. Otherwise, I suppose you could go right onto the seat.

Learn something new every day.

Fortunately, I've never had any issues. Anytime. Only time I ever used my little stick of Body Glide was the first race I did with my wetsuit....because the first time I wore it in water for about 20 minutes it felt like it was 'getting at me' right at the top of my chest. That was also in salt water. Didn't feel the same kind of thing when I used it that second time. Maybe it's just loosened up, I don't even bother now.

In fact, my only real problem....is...if I run over say...8.25 miles, I gotta have some nipple tape. And I'll need it the next day if a long ride is in store.

For the record, the store brand medical adhesive/first aid tape.....never works. It's gotta be Johnson and Johnson. Band-Aids don't work for me either. For one, there's nothing in the right size. I can cut that tape to the perfect dimensions to provide adequate coverage and adhesive area....and not catch too much surrounding hair. I am not ever....going to shave/wax my nipple area.

Of course, I say that now....
2016-07-12 3:01 PM

User image

Bibs + Chamois cream

2016-07-12 3:14 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I put it right on my body not the chamois, that way I know its where it needs to be.

As far as where; do a 75-80 mile ride without and you should know. Everyone is a little different, and some people may not even need it. For me once I hit about 60-65 mile I will start feeling the burn if I don't use cream.
2016-07-12 6:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I guess I am the odd ball here. I wear compression bike shorts on all long rides without any creams. That includes centuries. So far, so good.

2016-07-12 9:16 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

Did a HIM a few weeks ago and took the time to change to full padding bike shorts. Did a sprint last weekend and wore tri shorts through the S-B-R. For me I tailor the padding in the shorts to the bike duration.

Your comment on nip chafe is interesting. No problem on the HIM but oh mommy they hurt after the sprint. Of course, the entire bike portion and half the run was in driving rain. 3M makes duct tape band aids. Those suckers are not going to come off any way, any how without taking some hair with them. You might try 'em.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bicycle Shorts Questions Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

tri shorts/ bike shorts yes a question never asked

Started by brooksinc1976
Views: 1361 Posts: 8

2011-03-01 6:05 PM Oldteen

I broke down and finally bought tri and bicycle shorts

Started by MadMathemagician
Views: 1297 Posts: 12

2009-10-09 8:35 AM Pector55

bicycle racing question

Started by mscotthall
Views: 1010 Posts: 7

2008-05-21 1:37 AM WildWill

Bicycle Shorts

Started by Whizzer
Views: 1297 Posts: 15

2005-05-26 2:13 PM Whizzer

Question about bicycle machines at the gym

Started by neokrotmo
Views: 847 Posts: 7

2004-01-30 11:04 AM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Second in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries

date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.
date : February 17, 2009
author : sportfactory
Finding the right bicycle saddle is often a confusing process of trial and error for cyclists. However, a little education goes a long way, and will perhaps save you some pain and discomfort as well.

date : September 16, 2008
author : BGTwinDad
In part two of this series of common roadside bike repairs, we show you how to fix a flat tire. Though if you're lucky, a bicycle repairman will wheel by at just the right time.