Other Resources The Political Joe » Ginsburg apologizes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-14 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Ginsburg apologizes

Everyone knew she was a left wing nut job liberal but when she started campaigning for Hillary she proved herself to a democrat party hack too.

I guess there are no 'rules' against it but I think it is a best for judges not to opine about politics.  People in the military are not allowed to campaign or make political statements while in uniform.  Judges don't have uniforms be are certainly most people know the SCOTUS justices.

Anyway, she just apologized and says she regrets saying what she said.  Fat lot of good that does....that is a lawyer trick, they can say something they know is not allowed and the judge can strike it from the record but what has been heard cannot be unheard.

2016-07-14 1:25 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ginsburg apologizes
Do you also think that Scalia should either have not been such a private buddy with Cheney or recused himself in Cheney v. US District of Columbia?
2016-07-14 1:27 PM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by ejshowers Do you also think that Scalia should either have not been such a private buddy with Cheney or recused himself in Cheney v. US District of Columbia?

Not familiar with the case but absolutely he should have recused himself....but maybe threatened to shoot him in the face if he did?

2016-07-15 12:47 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

Master
, California

Originally posted by Rogillio

Everyone knew she was a left wing nut job liberal but when she started campaigning for Hillary she proved herself to a democrat party hack too.

I guess there are no 'rules' against it but I think it is a best for judges not to opine about politics.  People in the military are not allowed to campaign or make political statements while in uniform.  Judges don't have uniforms be are certainly most people know the SCOTUS justices.

Anyway, she just apologized and says she regrets saying what she said.  Fat lot of good that does....that is a lawyer trick, they can say something they know is not allowed and the judge can strike it from the record but what has been heard cannot be unheard.

Oh yeah so if we're namecalling, what name do you propose for the conservatives?

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/11/16/justices-thomas-scalia-violate-judicial-ethics-headlining-wing-fundraisers.html

They're all politically aligned.  It's not like any of this is a surprise.

2016-07-15 9:20 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

You guys are really predictable.  Liberal does something bad, goto: point out republican who did something wrong to distract from the topic at hand.   

Anyways, Ginsburg shouldn't have waded in and she knows it and I commend her for attempting to make it right.

With the court the way it is, it's actually quite important for her to stay "impartial" in the public eye because if there were a Bush v. Gore type scenario with Trump/Clinton then she almost certainly has to recuse herself at this point.  That wouldn't help her cause in any way.

2016-07-15 9:35 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by tuwood

Anyways, Ginsburg shouldn't have waded in and she knows it and I commend her for attempting to make it right.

With the court the way it is, it's actually quite important for her to stay "impartial" in the public eye because if there were a Bush v. Gore type scenario with Trump/Clinton then she almost certainly has to recuse herself at this point.  That wouldn't help her cause in any way.

I completely agree while the courts are riddled with biases only because these people are human. There is a reason we appoint them a justice for life.

They are supposed to be above politics. heck they probably once appointed not even be allowed to vote. Since they should not care who wins or even pay attention to the candidates.

2016-07-15 10:45 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by chirunner134

I completely agree while the courts are riddled with biases only because these people are human. There is a reason we appoint them a justice for life. They are supposed to be above politics. heck they probably once appointed not even be allowed to vote. Since they should not care who wins or even pay attention to the candidates.

While the should not comment or try to sway political discourse, they have every right to care who wins elections, pay attention to the candidates, and vote their conscience.  They are represented in Washington, their home state, and by local governing bodies just like everyone else.

They are appointed for life so that their decisions won't be subject to political influence, not the other way around.

Edited by Hook'em 2016-07-15 10:47 AM
2016-07-15 11:35 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

You guys are really predictable.  Liberal does something bad, goto: point out republican who did something wrong to distract from the topic at hand.   

Wasn't distracting, I just hate the feigned outrage at one side while ignoring the other.  I'll straight up call them both out.

Edit: that said, I have no problem with judges *voting*.  They are still citizens in good standing.  One person one vote.

Edited by spudone 2016-07-15 11:36 AM
2016-07-15 11:46 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by spudone

Wasn't distracting, I just hate the feigned outrage at one side while ignoring the other.  I'll straight up call them both out.

Edit: that said, I have no problem with judges *voting*.  They are still citizens in good standing.  One person one vote.

One thing I've improved on more than any other when it comes to politics is that I do see the stupidity on both sides.  I used to be in the camp of "hey, he's on my side so he can do no wrong" /facepalm.  

2016-07-17 7:54 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite

Originally posted by spudone

One thing I've improved on more than any other when it comes to politics is that I do see the stupidity on both sides.  I used to be in the camp of "hey, he's on my side so he can do no wrong" /facepalm.  

While politically she's "on my side" on most issues, I do have to say she should not have made these comments publicly.
I'm glad she apologized.
That said, she isn't the first to have erred...and she won't be the last.

2016-07-17 11:14 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Elite
Reno

While I agree with her, I don't think she should have been public about it due to her position.    But part of me wants to think that Notorious RBG don't need to apologize to no one, no where, no how.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Ginsburg apologizes Rss Feed