General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Presistent side stitch/cramp Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-17 5:23 AM

Subject: Presistent side stitch/cramp
Hello Everyone,

One week ago I competed in my first half-ironman (Muskoka 70.3). The race went very well up until the last 1/3 of the run. I unfortunately developed a bad right sided side stitch/cramp that caused me reduce my speed tremendously and sometimes even into a complete stop due to the intense pain. I eventually made it to the finish but was forced to walk part of the finishers chute the pain was so bad. My finishers picture shows me grimacing while holding my side haha. Post race cooldown was fine and I was only 6 minutes off the time I wanted (Finish time - 6:06). There is always next year.....

That's the story, now this is the issue. Everyday since the race I have continued to feel this side stitch/cramp. I felt it going up stairs, walking down stairs and anytime walking quickly. I decided yesterday that I would go for my first run since my race and it didn't go to well. The first 500m or so felt great. Then the identical side stitch/cramp hit me. I cut the run short and somehow ran with it for around 3km. The entire time I was running, I was constantly trying to stretch my abdomen. Either sucking my stomach in or pushing it out. Both helped, but the cramp persisted till the end.

I am getting quite frustrated about this. Does anyone know why this cramp keeps reoccurring? I read online that the reason why side stitches or cramps occur is still unclear but some may think its caused by ischemia in the diaphragm. Not sure how that would happen as I am constantly breathing. While training for my 70.3 I rarely ran with any fluids so maybe the introduction of fluids into my run during the race caused some sort of disturbance in my body? Im lost.

Now most importantly, does anyone know how I treat this persisting abdominal cramp? Is it a metabolism issue, abdominal strength issue, am I not breathing correctly when running, ect, ect? Just to be clear, I have been training 10-14 hours per week for the past 4 months and have never had this issue. I have an Olympic and another half iron booked for late August and Mid-September and would love for this issue to be resolved well before then. If anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I'm a 22 year old male if anyone is wondering for differential diagnosis purposes.

Thanks everyone,

Nathan.

2016-07-17 10:42 AM
in reply to: Naterv

User image

Subject: RE: Presistent side stitch/cramp
Not an expert, or a coach. I can only answer with what I do. It works well for me, and I am typically able to continue pace anytime a side stitch starts to crop up.

1. Give it a little more time to heal. A bad cramp can cause pain for weeks, muscle fibers are torn and damaged. Spend a lot more time on the bike and swim. Maybe use an elliptical to reduce impact and maintain some run fitness until no longer tender.

2. When running find a breathing pattern. I use a 2:2, that is 2 strides inhale, 2 strides exhale with a sharp inhale or exhale at each foot strike (sharp inhale- sharp inhale: sharp exhale-sharp exhale). Others use 3:2, etc...

3. When I start to develop a side stitch I adjust my breathing so the foot on the same side as the stitch strikes on my first (hardest) exhale. This engages the core muscles, and locks everything in place just as the foot is impacting.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Presistent side stitch/cramp Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Water & side stitches

Started by christyr1978
Views: 908 Posts: 4

2006-07-05 10:19 PM snowgirl

Spin Class - Side Stitch to BONK

Started by Matchman
Views: 2668 Posts: 9

2005-11-03 7:23 AM velocomp

So what exactly causes a side-stitch?

Started by waskelton
Views: 1430 Posts: 21

2005-07-31 12:49 AM skavoovie

These dont feel like no side stitches!

Started by Jiggies
Views: 849 Posts: 3

2005-06-30 1:57 AM BellinghamSpence

cure for side stitches--odd but true!

Started by akabak
Views: 2070 Posts: 15

2009-08-03 9:45 AM hinderksrk
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
As I was pulling my wetsuit off while standing in the water, my left calf cramped such that my foot was pointed, the muscle was rock hard, and I could not pull my foot out of point for 30 seconds.

date : September 10, 2010
author : Nancy Clark
An estimated 30 to 50% of distance runners experience exercise-related intestinal problems, with women experiencing more problems than do men. Learn how to minimize them in this article.
date : November 23, 2009
author : mikericci
At the midpoint of the run I felt my calves start to cramp. How do I improve my cramping resistance and are there any extra training or exercise for me to improve on?

date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
My back wheel needs to be trued up. It has a slight side-to-side wobble, and I feel at times like I'm going to lose control when I ride. Is this something that I should only trust to my LBS to do?
date : September 17, 2007
Muscle cramps occur in 67% of triathletes. This article discusses several theories on the causes of cramps and what to do if you get one and how to prevent cramps.

date : May 21, 2007
comments : 2
Not all cramping is training-related. The causes of muscle cramping and the diagnosis of restless leg syndrome including some medical and non-medical treatments.
date : July 3, 2006
As we enter the summer months of training and racing it seems reasonable to discuss issues around heat illness: what is it, how do we recognize it, what can we do about it, and how do we prevent it.