General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri bike - good value? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-17 8:16 AM

Subject: First tri bike - good value?
Hi!

I'm looking to buy my first triathlon bike later this year when the 2016 models go on sale. Thought I'd post here to see if I'm on the right track in my search for a good value entry level / intermediate bike.

Short info:
I'm pretty new to bike racing, having bought my first racing bike (Giant TCR Advanced 1 2015) last fall. Initially wanted to just do a lot of solo riding to compensate for a period of not being able to run due to a knee injury, but now it seems I've been bitten by the racing/tri bug and am looking to do a HIM this year and an IM next year.

Anyway, after doing a lot of internet research and talking to some friends who have done IM's I've narrowed my search down to these bikes:

Cervélo P2
BMC TM02
Felt IA16
Giant Trinity Advanced

The bikes are all pretty much in the same price range ~$3000. The Giant is slightly cheaper, but I'm a little reluctant to pounce on it because I haven't been able to find any reviews of the new models.

So basically, am I in the ballpark of getting a solid bike with either of these bikes or have I missed something? Does any of these stand out as the better bike in regards to overall build quality and speed?

I realize fit is a huge factor, so I'll be sure to test the models at a store to see if they will fit me (I think I have a relatively short upper body compared to my height, which will probably factor into my decision in the end).

Thanks!

2016-07-17 8:28 AM
in reply to: #5191175

Subject: RE: First tri bike - good value?
I assume you will buy new or new older model. All the bikes are great. I recommend the Cervelo P2. It has great value. The P2 has very similar geometry to its higher tier P3 and p5 thus being extremely aero. A lot of people buy the newer P2 and upgrade it's components because the frame is so damn good. I own a 2014 P3 so I can vouch for the premium quality. Almost wished I saved the 1k+ and opted for the P2. Ive seen the P2 on sale at some shops for around $2000. Since your budget is $3000. Buy the bike and upgrade the components or wheels or both and you're set for life! :D goodluck!
2016-07-17 12:51 PM
in reply to: #5191176

Thanks for the input Naterv.

Yeah, forgot to mention it but I will buy new - probably a 2016 model when they go on sale later in the year, provided they don't do any major upgrades on the upcoming 2017 models.

Your experience with the Cervelos pretty much confirms all the good stuff I've heard about them. Will definitely try and find a local shop that has the new P2 and check it out.

I really like the idea of a solid, quality bike that I can safely get upgrades for without feeling limited by the frame. Already have my eyes on a set of Swiss Side Hadron 485/625 wheels - even though they're a little expensive
2016-09-02 3:42 PM
in reply to: sallert

User image

X2 on the P2. I didn't buy new, but I absolutely love mine. I'm more comfortable on it than on my Cannondale Synapse road bike, and man will that baby fly.
2016-09-04 1:45 PM

I am like t-rex, long legs, short torso. If you are the same like me, i think BMC would fit best, which is quite short. I was on the same hunt as you last year. Narrowed my choices down to Specialized, BMC or Scott, since all these bikes are relatively short. I would never be able to fit the P2 without messing up the geometry completely i guess. Fit was the most important for me, since my previous (road)bike was killing my back and never got it right.

All bikes that you mention are great, but depending on your measurements, my first pick would be the BMC (i own a specialized now by the way, which fits me perfect. Also because i didnt have a possibility to test-ride a BMC without a 6 hour drive.

Good luck, let us know your final choice :-)
2016-09-06 8:24 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
All great bikes, but they do fit very differently... If the Giant fits you, then I can pretty much guarantee the BMC would be a bad choice for example...

Make sure the bike you buy fits YOU before spending this kind of money... You could easily end up with a bike that actually makes you slower, not faster.

2016-09-15 5:05 AM

All great bikes, but they do fit very differently... If the Giant fits you, then I can pretty much guarantee the BMC would be a bad choice for example
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri bike - good value? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri Bike Long Term Value

Started by ckiepura
Views: 1646 Posts: 4

2015-05-27 11:15 AM morey000

Recommendation for a wheelset for a good value

Started by petraevans
Views: 896 Posts: 2

2009-12-25 6:32 PM Leegoocrap

Best value for money on tri hrm

Started by Anonymous
Views: 1068 Posts: 3

2008-12-22 5:46 PM Aikidoman

Is this a good value in bikes?

Started by kpar
Views: 1045 Posts: 4

2005-08-22 1:03 AM Mark G

good value tri saddle

Started by miater
Views: 933 Posts: 1

2005-05-16 11:05 PM miater
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?
date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?

date : April 9, 2010
author : Zen Master
comments : 24
All I can think about is, "How can I swim in this?" I can't sleep. I think I made a big mistake. I'm filling my head with fear and doubt. What made me think I could run a triathlon?
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.
date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
comments : 0
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.