General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Video for review Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-18 2:50 PM

Subject: Swim Video for review
I was hanging around my family's pool this weekend and thought I would take some video. I realize this isn't too ideal, since its a short pool, but I wanted to see if I could get any feedback from the more knowledgeable folks here on BT. Right off the bat I can tell I am not rotating enough and my catch needs some work. I actually had spent the weekend working on the catch after watching some youtube videos (Swim Smooth and some TI videos) and I think by yesterday I was really starting to get a better feel for having a high elbow and the feeling of pulling water back.

If you have a moment any tips would be appreciated!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGB9ckSApuo

2016-07-18 4:12 PM
in reply to: cdoug55

Subject: RE: Swim Video for review

There are technical things to be fixed. 

To be clear, while they should be fixed, even if you fixed all of them, you will get barely a 5sec/100 improvement in speed - that's just the reality of technique.

Good things:

- You're pretty flat in the water

- No fishtailing

- No big headbobbing

Things to fix:

- Underreaching on the extension - you want to reach far out and rotate the shoulder slightly forward to get maximal arm extension. It's particularly bad on your breath stroke - when you breath, your extended arm immediately drops. Keep it out there.

- Overrotating on the breath (corkscrew effect). Swim flatter (I know, counterintuitive, but it'll give you some speed.) You also can turn your head less on the breath.

- Can tighten the kick up -it's giving you some drag. Google "ankle band swim" to see a challenging and good drill swim to help fix this

- Dropping elbow on the catch, but that's expected in pretty much all non speedy swimmers.

Overall not bad! But by far your swim speed limiter is your limited stroke power. The arm turnover is slow, and the catch lacks force. Don't get fooled by folks who claim that you can drill your way to a great catch. You cannot  "technique"  your way to a powerful, efficient "early vertical forearm" catch that will propel you at sub 1:20/100 pace - you have to work hard to build the muscle and aerobic capacity to maintain it.  Gradually increase volume and speed during workouts while remembering the little things to fix above, and you'll improve, likely a lot.

2016-07-20 9:39 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

Thanks for the feedback! I will definitely work on those items. As I mentioned in my original post, I am definitely trying to work on the catch and I think I am making some progress with that, particularly after watching a few videos.
2016-07-20 10:35 AM

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Looks like you're not finishing your stroke. You want your hand to follow through

Here's a video that showcases (among other things) what I'm talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SONx52cyltI
2016-08-09 2:29 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

Sorry just catching up on this. Thanks for the video. I am pretty sure as I get fatigued my stroke shortens up, but I am guessing that is fairly common in newer swimmers. The one thing I took away from that video is that he doesn't begin his pull until recovering arm is almost in the water. I definitely think I suffer from some "windmilling" and need to get a bit more glide in there before starting my pull.

Anyone else have any pointers? Thanks for all the feedback guys.
2016-08-09 8:05 PM

Originally posted by cdoug55

Sorry just catching up on this. Thanks for the video. I am pretty sure as I get fatigued my stroke shortens up, but I am guessing that is fairly common in newer swimmers. The one thing I took away from that video is that he doesn't begin his pull until recovering arm is almost in the water. I definitely think I suffer from some "windmilling" and need to get a bit more glide in there before starting my pull.

Take what I have with a grain of salt because I'm no expert but your recovery and hand entry appear very deliberate. Maybe just because of the short pool? I've been working on relaxing my recovery arm because I get deliberate in my motions.

http://theraceclub.com/aqua-notes/the-magic-of-the-relaxed-wrist/

I read another article that said to think of it as a power cycle. Recovery = power off. Pull = power on.

And this is a nice 5 tips list.
http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=1&itemid=5665...

2016-08-10 9:54 AM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by cdoug55

[/QUOTE

My main comment was going to be about windmilling. Catchup drill should be your close friend. Touch-"n"go, touch-'n-go...
When you mention needing to glide more, (and I think I know what you mean) I would encourage you to mentally view it as more of a lunge than a coasting glide. I think that mental shift will make it more active.
2016-08-10 10:46 AM
in reply to: pwoolson

Thanks all.

Good article on the relaxed wrist. I think my recovery used to look more rigid, so I am trying to be more relaxed. Guess I could be even more relaxed hahaha.

I will definitely work on the catch up drill, I was thinking that after watching the Nathan Adrian video. Glide was probably not the best choice of words. So a think of it as a lunge forward with that lead arm?
2016-08-11 8:02 AM

User image

New user
madison, Wisconsin
Yes, the visual of a lunge with the lead arm is a pretty good one. The term "glide" has only been deemed as "bad" in the last few years. Mostly because it takes the activity out of the stroke. But any of us over 40 were taught in swim lessons to stroke and glide, stroke and glide. Unlearning bad habits is tough.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim Video for review Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

My swim video for peer review Pages: 1 2

Started by aribloch
Views: 4034 Posts: 44

2016-02-25 10:54 AM crusevegas

Any reviews of TrainerRoad + videos (not Sufferfest)

Started by yazmaster
Views: 1145 Posts: 1

2012-12-23 11:35 PM yazmaster

Please review my bike fit (VIDEO)

Started by baltrui
Views: 1104 Posts: 5

2011-05-04 12:29 PM baltrui

video gear reviews for clyds/athenas

Started by Ontherun
Views: 1194 Posts: 3

2009-03-27 12:36 PM Brock Samson

Swimming advice or help needed on video clip of myself swimming Pages: 1 2

Started by steven
Views: 3529 Posts: 29

2004-05-11 4:52 AM steven
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 12, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
In this review, we put the Garmin Forerunner 405 and the Suunto T6C heart-rate and GPS watches through the wringers.

date : January 3, 2009
comments : 3
We review the Halo Swim Trainer and how it can help the 'high elbow catch' part of your swim stroke along with your swimming tempo.
date : November 17, 2008
author : Ontherun
In part 3 of this series on mid-range fullsuits, we review the Neo Sport Sprint fullsuit for comfort, warmth, buoyancy and performance.

date : August 6, 2008
We review both the Sci'Con Atlas and the Aerotech Evolution bike cases for traveling with your bike.
date : July 7, 2008
author : Ron
comments : 1
This is a 'first impressions' review of the Fit2Race Sockeye Fullsuit. From a first wetsuit point-of-view, I was able to dramatically improve my pace over non-wetsuit swims.

date : April 14, 2008
Need a high-performance wheel upgrade? Watch the review of the Specialized Roval Rapide Carbon Clincher wheelset which turned out to be an excellent all-around wheelset for both training and racing.
date : February 18, 2008
author : Ontherun
comments : 7
Looking for a liquid hydration system for your runs? We review the unique Amphipod RunLite 4 belt hydration system. Other than a few small issues, it has performed well.

date : October 1, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 2
Triathletes are not invincible. Some of us like to think we are, but that is just not true. Anything can happen to us in open water. So why not make sure you are prepared for an emergency?