in reply to: spudone

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Cleveland

Originally posted by spudone

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by dmiller5

so rogilllio, how do you feel about ivanka's speech that had a few passages word for word the same as michelle Obama's from 2008.

also, I know you said you liked guiliani's speech, but I found a fair amount of it to be disingenuous, or downright dishonest.  For instance, he said that Hillary has an open border policy.  That is just patently untrue

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Anyways, with Melania's speech she did an exceptional job of connecting with people and showing what kind of family the Trumps are.  The left and the media cannot allow this to get through to the masses so they have to come up with a distraction to try and diminish her.  Don't you just love how people get off on personal destruction.

At best, one could argue that her speechwriter borrowed a similar construct from Michelle's speech.

Heh the left  didn't have to come up with a distraction, they were handed a blunder on a platter.  And in any other campaign, the candidate would probably be forced to withdraw.

Honestly I felt bad for Melania as she probably had no idea about a speech that was made 8 years ago.  It would be hard enough going on stage and reading from a teleprompter in front of all those people, let alone not in your native language.

But the campaign, staff, and Donald should have done better.

Forced to resign because the candidate's immigrant wife used some language similar to the words the previous first lady used?  

When you have the Director of the FBI proving Hillary (the actual candidate, not the candidate's spouse) has been lying for over a year while she was involved in a criminal investigation, not to mention committing perjury like her I-did-not-have-sex-with-that-woman-husband did.....

Doesn't matter, this will backfire and be viewed as bullying by the democrats for attacking the candidate's wife.

2016-07-19 12:15 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Maybe he'll be less of an unknown when he releases his tax returns

He's trying to hide the fact that he made a lot of money.  He wants people to think he's poor so he can get the low income vote.  

On a serious note, I own one business and have one personal tax return but mine are pretty complex.  I can't imagine how complex Trumps tax returns would be if he released them.  I'm not saying it's an excuse and I also don't agree that the "audit" is the real reason but I suspect it would take him six months of explaining all the complex corporate structures to the media if he were to release them.  If he were doing something illegal there's no question Obama's IRS would be outing that in a heartbeat so I feel there's little risk of anything nefarious being in play.

Either way in the grand scheme of things it's pretty minor if he does or doesn't release them.

2016-07-19 12:16 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio

so rogilllio, how do you feel about ivanka's speech that had a few passages word for word the same as michelle Obama's from 2008.

also, I know you said you liked guiliani's speech, but I found a fair amount of it to be disingenuous, or downright dishonest.  For instance, he said that Hillary has an open border policy.  That is just patently untrue

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Anyways, with Melania's speech she did an exceptional job of connecting with people and showing what kind of family the Trumps are.  The left and the media cannot allow this to get through to the masses so they have to come up with a distraction to try and diminish her.  Don't you just love how people get off on personal destruction.

At best, one could argue that her speechwriter borrowed a similar construct from Michelle's speech.

Heh the left  didn't have to come up with a distraction, they were handed a blunder on a platter.  And in any other campaign, the candidate would probably be forced to withdraw.

Honestly I felt bad for Melania as she probably had no idea about a speech that was made 8 years ago.  It would be hard enough going on stage and reading from a teleprompter in front of all those people, let alone not in your native language.

But the campaign, staff, and Donald should have done better.

Forced to resign because the candidate's immigrant wife used some language similar to the words the previous first lady used?  

When you have the Director of the FBI proving Hillary (the actual candidate, not the candidate's spouse) has been lying for over a year while she was involved in a criminal investigation, not to mention committing perjury like her I-did-not-have-sex-with-that-woman-husband did.....

Doesn't matter, this will backfire and be viewed as bullying by the democrats for attacking the candidate's wife.

Rule #1 in liberal politics: If there's a (D) behind a candidates name then all lies are permissible. 

2016-07-19 12:21 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Alabama

He's trying to hide the fact that he made a lot of money.  He wants people to think he's poor so he can get the low income vote.  

On a serious note, I own one business and have one personal tax return but mine are pretty complex.  I can't imagine how complex Trumps tax returns would be if he released them.  I'm not saying it's an excuse and I also don't agree that the "audit" is the real reason but I suspect it would take him six months of explaining all the complex corporate structures to the media if he were to release them.  If he were doing something illegal there's no question Obama's IRS would be outing that in a heartbeat so I feel there's little risk of anything nefarious being in play.

Either way in the grand scheme of things it's pretty minor if he does or doesn't release them.

My guess is he is not worth as much as he like to brag he is worth and it will be a little embarrassing.  If Obama got thru 2 elections without ever releasing his college (sealed) college records and if Clinton can get away with not releasing the transcripts of her Wall Street speeches, then DT can just ignore the tax records request.

Just read this headline, "Obama to police: Thanks for serving, 'we have your backs'"

Pretty sure he is plagiarizing Willie Robertson who said that half a dozen times in his convention speech.   

2016-07-19 12:23 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

He's trying to hide the fact that he made a lot of money.

I would say it's more likely that he's trying to hide the fact that he pays a much lower % tax rate than his average middle class supporter.  Pretty much true of anyone who's rich and doesn't make money by earning wages.

Edited by spudone 2016-07-19 12:24 PM

2016-07-19 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I would say it's more likely that he's trying to hide the fact that he pays a much lower % tax rate than his average middle class supporter.  Pretty much true of anyone who's rich and doesn't make money by earning wages.

That is true.....and is why our tax code needs to be re-written. Having said that, CNNMoney analysis calculates at least 34,000 jobs attributable to the Donald Trump. Let's say this includes managers and executives as well as bellhop and janitors.....so let's take the average US income of $50,000/year x 34,000 jobs x 22% federal income tax = $374 million a year that his employees pay in federal income tax....give or take. In addition to his employee's federal income tax, they pay state income tax and he pays FDIC, health insurance, etc....and his corporations pay millions in corporate taxes.

So my guess is he pays very little in federal taxes personally......but upside is, he knows where all the loopholes are and can close them. Politicians who are sold out to wealthy Wall Street donors can't close these loophole....

2016-07-19 12:47 PM

User image

Pro

My guess is he is not worth as much as he like to brag he is worth and it will be a little embarrassing.  If Obama got thru 2 elections without ever releasing his college (sealed) college records and if Clinton can get away with not releasing the transcripts of her Wall Street speeches, then DT can just ignore the tax records request.

Just read this headline, "Obama to police: Thanks for serving, 'we have your backs'"

Pretty sure he is plagiarizing Willie Robertson who said that half a dozen times in his convention speech.   

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Excellent!

2016-07-19 1:01 PM

Master
, California

That is true.....and is why our tax code needs to be re-written. Having said that, CNNMoney analysis calculates at least 34,000 jobs attributable to the Donald Trump. Let's say this includes managers and executives as well as bellhop and janitors.....so let's take the average US income of $50,000/year x 34,000 jobs x 22% federal income tax = $374 million a year that his employees pay in federal income tax....give or take. In addition to his employee's federal income tax, they pay state income tax and he pays FDIC, health insurance, etc....and his corporations pay millions in corporate taxes.

So my guess is he pays very little in federal taxes personally......but upside is, he knows where all the loopholes are and can close them. Politicians who are sold out to wealthy Wall Street donors can't close these loophole....

Haha you're assuming those employees are all legal citizens.

2016-07-19 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I don't really think it's that because he's very successfully countered things like donating to democrats and taking advantage of various programs that were available.  If anything I'd have more of a problem if he wasn't taking advantage of the tax laws that were out there. 

On a humorous note, I recall a tweet war where Hillary tried hitting Trump on releasing his tax return and he said he would as soon as she released all the emails she's hiding from the FBI.  That was the last time she brought that one up.  lol

2016-07-19 2:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Haha you're assuming those employees are all legal citizens.

What difference does it make?  People holding work visas aren't legal citizens, but pay income and payroll taxes.  Illegal immigrants pay income and payroll taxes.    

Edited by Hook'em 2016-07-19 2:32 PM

2016-07-19 3:07 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

On a non-political note.....anyone spend much time in Cleveland? I mean besides Bob Hope? I spent about a month there years ago doing some testing for NASA at the Glenn Research Center. There was beautiful park that runs along a creek/small river. There is a running trail the runs beside the river. The park is really long. Anyway, I just happened to think about it. If you are ever in Cleveland find that beautiful park and go for a run. That's about the only thing I can recommend there....unless the Indians are in town.

2016-07-19 3:52 PM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-california-republicans-norovirus-20160719-snap-story.html

2016-07-19 3:55 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by crowny2

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-california-republicans-norovirus-20160719-snap-story.html

Doh, I have a good friend who is a chef that flew in to work the convention.  She's not a Trump supporter so I'll have to give her a hard time about this.  lol

2016-07-19 7:47 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

That moment when you return to BT and see that you're logged out...  Oh no, Ron finally blocked my account...  noooooo  
Phew, it still works.  I live to drive you all nuts another day.  

2016-07-19 8:04 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

That moment when you return to BT and see that you're logged out...  Oh no, Ron finally blocked my account...  noooooo  

get back to the convention. 

2016-07-19 8:52 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

get back to the convention. 

I'm not a big fan of Christie but he did a pretty darn good job tonight. 

2016-07-19 8:56 PM

User image

Christie has convinced me not to vote for Hillary.  Although, that wasn't though.

2016-07-21 7:39 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Alabama

Another great night of speeches!

I like Pence!  I think Trump should assume the role of Chairman of the Board and let Pence function as CEO and generally run things while Trump negotiates trade deals and works on the boosting the economy.

I was very impressed with Newt.  I've always liked him.  He is incredibly smart and his years as an American history professor give him a unique perspective.  I think he would make a good Sec of State or Sec of Defense. 

I was very disappointed in Cruz.  I am ashamed to say I voted for him in the primaries.  I will never vote for that turn-coat again.  He has is eye on the next election.  I think he wants Hillary to win so he can then come in and save the day 4 years from now.  Never gonna happen now.  He ticked off too many people.  I was very proud of Newt's ability to speak off the cuff and stick it to Cruz.

I love what Pence said about Trumps kids.  So true, you can't fake good kids. 

X

2016-07-21 8:15 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I like Pence!  I think Trump should assume the role of Chairman of the Board and let Pence function as CEO and generally run things while Trump negotiates trade deals and works on the boosting the economy.

I was very impressed with Newt.  I've always liked him.  He is incredibly smart and his years as an American history professor give him a unique perspective.  I think he would make a good Sec of State or Sec of Defense. 

I was very disappointed in Cruz.  I am ashamed to say I voted for him in the primaries.  I will never vote for that turn-coat again.  He has is eye on the next election.  I think he wants Hillary to win so he can then come in and save the day 4 years from now.  Never gonna happen now.  He ticked off too many people.  I was very proud of Newt's ability to speak off the cuff and stick it to Cruz.

X

Agree, I tuned in to hear Pence because I have never heard him speak before.  He did a great job.

As for Cruz, I honestly try to look at the back stories and why people do what they do.  I wasn't sure at first why Trump let him come out, but after seeing what he did it was a pretty brilliant move.  There were a lot of Cruz supporters who were still stuck on Cruz or nobody and after Cruz did that they're jumping ship like crazy.  As for Cruz, I think he got played and his pride got in the way of his political aspirations.  He could have said something like hey, Donald and I have a lot of disagreements and things got pretty ugly so it's a little raw for me, but he's still our nominee and I will support him and vote for him.  Trump supporters would have loved it and Cruz supporters would have loved him for it.
Alternatively he took the route of encouraging people to vote their conscious which is the equivalent of saying "don't vote for Trump" and both sides are coming down on him hard.  I honestly think he put the final nail in his political future coffin last night.

2016-07-21 8:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

X

Or he truly believes that trump is a huge mistake for the party?

For the record...I can't believe I'm saying this....I would vote for trump over Cruz.

2016-07-21 8:52 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

X

Or he truly believes that trump is a huge mistake for the party?

For the record...I can't believe I'm saying this....I would vote for trump over Cruz.

I think he truly does believe that and he wants to be the guy who is there to "pick up the party" in 2020 after Trump loses.  However, the way he went about it basically alienated himself and is in essence positioning himself as the reason Trump loses if in fact that happens.  That would be a very stiff headwind to overcome in 2020. 

Now I can quote you as saying "I would vote for Trump"  (we'll just omit the other qualifiers)  yay dmiller conversion complete.  ;-

2016-07-21 9:51 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

He;

X

Agree, I tuned in to hear Pence because I have never heard him speak before.  He did a great job.

As for Cruz, I honestly try to look at the back stories and why people do what they do.  I wasn't sure at first why Trump let him come out, but after seeing what he did it was a pretty brilliant move.  There were a lot of Cruz supporters who were still stuck on Cruz or nobody and after Cruz did that they're jumping ship like crazy.  As for Cruz, I think he got played and his pride got in the way of his political aspirations.  He could have said something like hey, Donald and I have a lot of disagreements and things got pretty ugly so it's a little raw for me, but he's still our nominee and I will support him and vote for him.  Trump supporters would have loved it and Cruz supporters would have loved him for it.
Alternatively he took the route of encouraging people to vote their conscious which is the equivalent of saying "don't vote for Trump" and both sides are coming down on him hard.  I honestly think he put the final nail in his political future coffin last night.

I agree he got played.  I thought it was brilliant how Trump started coming out before he was done speaking and, as the commentators said, stole this thunder.  He'd of been better off had he just not come to the convention.

Rubio also shot himself in the foot I think by not going to the convention but sending a video.  One of the commentators said he was "still trying to have it both ways".  I agree.  Either stay away like Kaisic or show up and support the nominee like Ryan did.

I very disappointed in the Bush's - all 3 of them.  I think they did their legacies irreparable damage.  Then again, Bush senior epitomizes what the Trump movement is all about with his 'read my lips' legacy and the garbage of saying anything to get elected and not having the backbone to do what you promised.

2016-07-21 10:07 AM

User image

Cruz

"and to those listening, please, don’t stay home in November. if you love our country and love your children as much as I know you do, stand, and speak, and vote your conscience, vote for candidates up and down the ticket who you trust to defend our freedom and to be faithful to the Constitution."

Not only did Cruz not endorse Trump, the only candidate in the presidential race who fits the bill is Gary Johnson.

2016-07-21 10:15 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Hook'em

Cruz

"and to those listening, please, don’t stay home in November. if you love our country and love your children as much as I know you do, stand, and speak, and vote your conscience, vote for candidates up and down the ticket who you trust to defend our freedom and to be faithful to the Constitution."

Not only did Cruz not endorse Trump, the only candidate in the presidential race who fits the bill is Gary Johnson.

Will there be a Libertarian convention?  The amount of free air time the DNC and GOP get from their conventions make it hard for a 3rd part to compete.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Cleveland Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2006
author : trijesse
comments : 1
After years of waiting....its all about to change! This was my first triathlon and I have to say that the whole thing was amazing to me.