Subject: Cleveland

Bob Hope said, "I spent a month in Cleveland last week." 

Just had to put that out there.   

2016-07-19 5:14 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Cleveland
I think I finally figured out why people slow down to look at a big car wreck.
2016-07-19 7:44 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama

I watched the entire convention and really enjoyed it.  There were some awesome speeches!!  I think they did exactly what they need to do and that was fire up the base and work towards unifying the party.  It was nice to a real WWII hero there last night, Bob Dole.  Guliani's speech was exceptional!  He is a very good motivational speaker.

I was flipping between the networks to see who was covering what and listen to the talking head.  At one point I swear Chris Mathews was crying for Hillary trying to defend Hillary's lie to the mother of one of the fallen that the attack was over a video. 

I'm sure most people on the right think the convention is off to a great start and people on the left will disagree. 

In related news....Facebook is being overwhelmed with politics and videos. 

2016-07-19 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

so rogilllio, how do you feel about ivanka's speech that had a few passages word for word the same as michelle Obama's from 2008.

also, I know you said you liked guiliani's speech, but I found a fair amount of it to be disingenuous, or downright dishonest.  For instance, he said that Hillary has an open border policy.  That is just patently untrue

2016-07-19 8:08 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

I watched the entire convention and really enjoyed it.  There were some awesome speeches!!  I think they did exactly what they need to do and that was fire up the base and work towards unifying the party.  It was nice to a real WWII hero there last night, Bob Dole.  Guliani's speech was exceptional!  He is a very good motivational speaker.

I was flipping between the networks to see who was covering what and listen to the talking head.  At one point I swear Chris Mathews was crying for Hillary trying to defend Hillary's lie to the mother of one of the fallen that the attack was over a video. 

I'm sure most people on the right think the convention is off to a great start and people on the left will disagree. 

In related news....Facebook is being overwhelmed with politics and videos. 

Not so much.....but it was about what I expected.

2016-07-19 8:27 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by dmiller5

so rogilllio, how do you feel about ivanka's speech that had a few passages word for word the same as michelle Obama's from 2008.

also, I know you said you liked guiliani's speech, but I found a fair amount of it to be disingenuous, or downright dishonest.  For instance, he said that Hillary has an open border policy.  That is just patently untrue

I'd probably fire her speech writer.  I read this earlier this morning and agree, "Melania’s immigrant experience and love for America shone through in her speech, which made it such a success."

Giuliani's speech was a classic!  What he said was exactly right.  If you don't have secure borders then you have an open border policy.  The Obama administration killed the Secure Border Initiative which was a high-tech 'wall'.  Some of it a physical wall but most of it a virtual wall using sensors, surveillance cameras, drones and satellites.  SBI had issues but the issues should have been fixed.  So yeah, Hillary is against building a wall and therefore has an open border policy. 

X

2016-07-19 9:20 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Anyways, with Melania's speech she did an exceptional job of connecting with people and showing what kind of family the Trumps are.  The left and the media cannot allow this to get through to the masses so they have to come up with a distraction to try and diminish her.  Don't you just love how people get off on personal destruction.

At best, one could argue that her speechwriter borrowed a similar construct from Michelle's speech.

2016-07-19 9:47 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by tuwood

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Anyways, with Melania's speech she did an exceptional job of connecting with people and showing what kind of family the Trumps are.  The left and the media cannot allow this to get through to the masses so they have to come up with a distraction to try and diminish her.  Don't you just love how people get off on personal destruction.

At best, one could argue that her speechwriter borrowed a similar construct from Michelle's speech.

To me it just highlights that they are armature politicians. Someone should have vetted the speech better. But I think the fact they are not politicians is a great part of their appeal. Many people are so disgusted with Washington politicians and want to try something different.

What does it take to be an effective president? Executive experience! You surround yourself with effective people and are willing to fire people if they screw up. People (including myself) admired GWB's and Obama's loyalty.....but you really need to be able to fire people when they screw up. Put someone more competent in their place and let the people know that you have their interest in mind. 

In 2006 Alan Mulally took over a troubled Ford Motor Company. He turned the company around and made them successful again. They were the only one of the 'big 3' that did not take a government bailout because of his executive decisions. Most of Alan's career was spent at Boeing where he was CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplane. I remember when Ford hired him thinking, "What the heck does an airplane guy know about automobiles?" But Alan was an experience and competent executive who knew how to lead. I think we need an executive in the White House who runs the country more like a business....with the goal of being successful and prosperous.

2016-07-19 9:55 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Ivanka did it to?  lol

To me it just highlights that they are armature politicians. Someone should have vetted the speech better. But I think the fact they are not politicians is a great part of their appeal. Many people are so disgusted with Washington politicians and want to try something different.

What does it take to be an effective president? Executive experience! You surround yourself with effective people and are willing to fire people if they screw up. People (including myself) admired GWB's and Obama's loyalty.....but you really need to be able to fire people when they screw up. Put someone more competent in their place and let the people know that you have their interest in mind. 

In 2006 Alan Mulally took over a troubled Ford Motor Company. He turned the company around and made them successful again. They were the only one of the 'big 3' that did not take a government bailout because of his executive decisions. Most of Alan's career was spent at Boeing where he was CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplane. I remember when Ford hired him thinking, "What the heck does an airplane guy know about automobiles?" But Alan was an experience and competent executive who knew how to lead. I think we need an executive in the White House who runs the country more like a business....with the goal of being successful and prosperous.

Agree completely.

The majority of American's think we're on the wrong track, yet many still want to support Hillary who is guaranteed to continue down the same track.  
There is hope though because younger voters are catching on:
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c606903a16fa41dbbf051cb9c9f9295f/poll-clinton-struggles-make-inroads-young-americans

2016-07-19 10:00 AM

User image

Pro

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Agree completely.

The majority of American's think we're on the wrong track, yet many still want to support Hillary who is guaranteed to continue down the same track.  
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/c606903a16fa41dbbf051cb9c9f9295f/poll-clinton-struggles-make-inroads-young-americans

Among the new voters my kid runs with I don't know of a single one who is not voting for Trump.

2016-07-19 10:02 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Left Brain

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Agree completely.

Among the new voters my kid runs with I don't know of a single one who is not voting for Trump.

My kids and their friends are the same.  Now granted we live in Nebraska which is generally more Conservative, but in contrast we live in Omaha which has gone Obama the last two elections and put a Democratic Senator in Washington.

2016-07-19 10:08 AM

User image

Pro

I'm back to wanting Trump to win (and voting for him) just to see the far (radical) left lose their minds.  It's time for some good laughs.

2016-07-19 10:12 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm back to wanting Trump to win (and voting for him) just to see the far (radical) left lose their minds.  It's time for some good laughs.

Don't forget about the super right as well.  I was watching an interview with one of the #nevertrump leaders last night and he was practically crying because the RNC wouldn't let him overthrow the will of the people and try to get Trump out with a rule change.  lol

2016-07-19 10:46 AM

User image

Pro

Don't forget about the super right as well.  I was watching an interview with one of the #nevertrump leaders last night and he was practically crying because the RNC wouldn't let him overthrow the will of the people and try to get Trump out with a rule change.  lol

True enough....those idiots can kiss my arse too.

2016-07-19 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Agree completely.

My kids and their friends are the same.  Now granted we live in Nebraska which is generally more Conservative, but in contrast we live in Omaha which has gone Obama the last two elections and put a Democratic Senator in Washington.

And I know of only 1 Trump voter (not supporter) period. My kids' friends laugh (cringe?) at the idea of a Prez Trump. Anecdotal evidence is next to useless.
2016-07-19 11:09 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Agree completely.

Anecdotal evidence is next to useless.

I do agree with you there, but it is interesting when you compare same groups of people this time around versus in 2008/2012.

Even outside of who the candidates are, Hillary is in a really tough spot because she should be way out in front at this point and many of the polls have her in a statistical tie.  It's still early and the debates will have record viewers so it's a long ways from over.  :

Edited by tuwood 2016-07-19 11:17 AM

2016-07-19 11:28 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I think a lot of the young voters were supporting Bernie and expecting free college....as if Bernie can wave his magic wand the make that happen.  I will be interesting to see how many of the young Bernie votes move over to Hillary.  She lacks Obama's charisma...ok, she lack any charisma......so not sure how much youthful voter excitement she can gin up.  I've read that young woman do not think much of her.

2016-07-19 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Agree completely.

I don't know a single one of my friends, republicans included, that is voting for trump.  I know a few obstentions and libertarian voters, but not trumps.

2016-07-19 11:33 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Agree completely.

I don't know a single one of my friends, republicans included, that is voting for trump.  I know a few obstentions and libertarian voters, but not trumps.

aren't there only like 3 Republicans in your whole state though?  ;-
http://www.gallup.com/poll/181475/massachusetts-maryland-democratic-states.aspx

2016-07-19 11:49 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Agree completely.

Guess it all depends on who you hang with.  I can say the exact same things about Clinton and I will include coworkers....I know of not a single person who supports her....or at least no one who will admit they support her.

2016-07-19 11:52 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Agree completely.

Guess it all depends on who you hang with.  I can say the exact same things about Clinton and I will include coworkers....I know of not a single person who supports her....or at least no one who will admit they support her.

You ever notice that facebook is littered with pro-Trump, anti-Trump, and anti-Hillary stuff but I have yet to see a single pro-Hillary post from anyone?  lol

2016-07-19 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

Ivanka did it to?  lol

"At best, one could argue that her speechwriter borrowed a similar construct from Michelle's speech."

That is as intellectually dishonest as the speechwriter was in lifting Michelle's words almost verbatim, or Melania for stating in a interview that she was writing her speech herself.

Michelle: "that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect"

Melania: "that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise; that you treat people with respect."
2016-07-19 11:58 AM
in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers

Ivanka did it to?  lol

"At best, one could argue that her speechwriter borrowed a similar construct from Michelle's speech." That is as intellectually dishonest as the speechwriter was in lifting Michelle's words almost verbatim, or Melania for stating in a interview that she was writing her speech herself. Michelle: "that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say you’re going to do; that you treat people with dignity and respect" Melania: "that you work hard for what you want in life; that your word is your bond and you do what you say and keep your promise; that you treat people with respect."

I'll admit my assumption was she had a speechwriter, so I could be wrong on that.

Either way out of her entire speech (not even sure how long it was) with a few very common constructs and words you and the left want to completely distract America from what she actually had to say.

BTW, you plagiarized your post as well because you used the term "intellectually dishonest".  I found it on the internet elsewhere.  :-P 

2016-07-19 12:02 PM
in reply to: 0

Master
, California

Ivanka did it to?  lol

Heh the left  didn't have to come up with a distraction, they were handed a blunder on a platter.  And in any other campaign, the candidate would probably be forced to withdraw.

Honestly I felt bad for Melania as she probably had no idea about a speech that was made 8 years ago.  It would be hard enough going on stage and reading from a teleprompter in front of all those people, let alone not in your native language.

But the campaign, staff, and Donald should have done better.

Edited by spudone 2016-07-19 12:04 PM
2016-07-19 12:02 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

The question that I'd ask is, over the next 3 months, about which candidate are voters most likely to learn something they didn't already know about the candidates?

I think Clinton is a known entity.  She has run for POTUS previously, she has been in the public limelight for over 20 years.  Every scandal there could ever be is already out there.  Trump is a bigger unknown.  Most people (not us) have almost zero interest in politics until the conventions.  When they were dogging Trump for having spent so little in the swing states yet he said, "the races hasn't started yet...it starts at the convention" or words to that effect. 

Obama used social media to his great advantage.....I'm surprise Clinton has not learned from that.  Trump seems to be all over it....often getting himself in 'trouble'....but also dominating the news cycle by stepping on it. 

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Cleveland Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 4, 2006
author : trijesse
comments : 1
After years of waiting....its all about to change! This was my first triathlon and I have to say that the whole thing was amazing to me.