General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-07-29 1:46 PM
in reply to: 0

Subject: RE: Total Immersion swimming

Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by yazmaster

You're implying incorrectly that I think her athletes don't get great results. They clearly do.

What I AM asking though, is for where she thinks those hard efforts fall into a TI-based swim program.

I don't know how I can be any more clear than this. It's not a hard question, and it's not so athlete specific that one can't provide samples of such regimens, especially given she clearly has them on hand. 

Her doing so would put to rest not just mine, but a LOT of the criticism of TI as the 'swim-easy go-fast' philosophy that is 100% the core of the original book, and probably how 99% of swimmer/triathletes who learn TI-based swimming, come to know it. (VERY few of them go to a clinic.)

Ok...

A brand new beginner AOS sessions may only include 6 or 10 x 25 fast.  Just enough to get a feel for what going faster feels like and have some fun. Going fast is fun!

That same person would see gradual increases in the length, quantity, and variety of hard intervals over weeks and months as their competency and overall fitness improved .  50s to 75s to 100s, etc. As well as total hard yardage increasing.  

Along the way, different sessions would have different objectives and different technique focal points...speed, anaerobic endurance,  endurance, strength, vo2 max, wide catch, tight kick staying in the body's shadow, streamlining off the walls, etc.

Generally,  after a few months, they're doing a couple thousand yards of hard swimming per session. Just like every other successful methodology. 

That's a great answer, and would absolutely be the kind of answer I'd be looking for - but you're not a TI coach. (That's exactly what I would espouse, the gradual introduction you prescribe, but that it absolutely NOT what the typical TI book or even on this forum approach would be.)

It actually does make a huge difference here - I think most of us on this forum agree completely with the very reasonable combo of intensity + technique building, but as I and the posters above have mentioned, that is clearly NOT how the TI method is promoted either in the book or even here in the forums. If it's changed, it must be a very recent one, and I'm still waiting to hear from true TI coaches about the intensity aspect of training and how it fits in with TI.

Edited by yazmaster 2016-07-29 1:48 PM

2017-06-10 10:44 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Am a beginner swimmer. I survive my swims and get out of the water way after all the other swimmers. Whenever I try to do the high elbow, push the water back I hurt my shoulder. Maybe I'm wrong, but at 58 I don't see myself becoming a powerful swimmer. I just want to do the distance and not be last out of the water.

My understanding is that TI is not the same as traditional freestyle. The point is not to stay on top of the water but to swim through it. The two beat kick and hip rotations are supposed to propel you forward. It doesn't stress intensity but ease of swimming. I hope it lives up to the hype. I've had 6 lessons so far and am doing the drills. Sometimes I think that Laughlin promises too much, and I came on here to see what people thought.

I'll let you all know how it goes. If I could swim a mile at 2:20/100 I'd be thrilled.
2017-06-13 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
TI worked well for me as an adult onset swimmer. I find it helped me swim well over any distance without feeling too fatigued before T1. To get the most out of it, I suggest you attend at least one of their weekend workshops.

Your shoulders hurting may be due to incorrect arm shape during the catch and pull phase. High elbow catch should employ your back's bigger lat muscles. This sync'd well with a hip drive rotation should ease the pressure as well allowing you to cover more distance per stroke without putting too much strain on your shoulders.

Edited by kloofyroland 2017-06-13 1:55 PM
2017-06-13 2:56 PM
in reply to: kloofyroland

User image

Veteran
Newcastle, England

Originally posted by kloofyroland TI worked well for me as an adult onset swimmer. I find it helped me swim well over any distance without feeling too fatigued before T1. To get the most out of it, I suggest you attend at least one of their weekend workshops. Your shoulders hurting may be due to incorrect arm shape during the catch and pull phase. High elbow catch should employ your back's bigger lat muscles. This sync'd well with a hip drive rotation should ease the pressure as well allowing you to cover more distance per stroke without putting too much strain on your shoulders.

I also did a weekend workshop and it worked for me -

I use to be shattered after the swim but after TI i found I was a lot more relaxed when swimming ... and can now comfortably do 10k swims (on the back of limited training) and feel ok when i get out the water

I am not a fast swimmer but can swim same pace for a long period without much slow down

2017-06-13 8:59 PM
in reply to: WildWill

User image

Denver, Colorado
I did not read all three pages of comments, but will share my experience.

I was unable to learn how to swim freestyle, despite group lessons, individual lessons, tons of youtube videos, and articles. After individual lessons I was able to swim 25 yards.

With TI I felt much more comfortable, less tired, I swam Oly distance, and 2,000 yards during training.
My speed improved from almost 3 mins per 100 to 1:52.

If you want to be FOP, then you probably need much more than TI, and plenty of folks here will tell you. But if you want to enjoy the swim, feel more comfortable, decrease the drag, etc... this is a great book.

I want to add that I purchased my book on Amazon for 12 cents, so it was not even a huge investment.

Keep us posted!
2017-06-13 10:11 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thanks. I'm feeling inspired!

2017-06-14 2:25 AM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

I am completely self-taught when it comes to swimming. I remember in the beginning, I would watch videos like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJpFVvho0o4

I would study it, try to copy the style, study it again, and repeat. I also thought and thought a lot about how to minimize bubbles, minimize drag, breathe while keeping one goggle in, etc.

I think TI swimming is fantastic for the beginner who has no long-distance swimming experience. In a triathlon race, especially those with an ocean swim, you often need something a little more aggressive and somewhat less pretty, but TI is a great place to start in my opinion. I still do a lap or two using the style as part of my warm-down in the pool. And I still think it's very cool to slide through the water on a lap and then look back in the lane where you just swam and see the water dead still.
2017-06-14 11:39 AM
in reply to: Burchib

I recently started back training for triathlons after recovering from cancer surgery. My swimming capability was always weak and a struggle for me. I purchased the basic TI instruction program just two months ago.. I went from struggling to just get under 3:00 minutes per 100 yards to under 2 minutes per 100 easily. following the TI instructions. I am now working on improving my endurance as well as getting faster using the TI technique.

I am up to around 1500 yards total per session now . These sessions includes a variety of 50, 100, and 200 yard intervals along with some technique drills . I do 4 sessions a week. i will be gradually increasing the volume as I prepare for a HIM. next year. So even a 70 year old can learn new things and make improvmenrts.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion swimming Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

Total Immersion Swim Workshop, worth the $ and time?

Started by OldAndInTheWay
Views: 1661 Posts: 11

2005-10-21 1:56 PM itri2

Total Immersion swim clinic?

Started by jdc1687
Views: 1505 Posts: 9

2005-10-01 10:09 PM Steve-

Impressions on Total Immersion Swimming?

Started by Binney59
Views: 1121 Posts: 9

2005-07-18 12:32 AM onefitgeek

Total Immersion Swimming

Started by tri-girl
Views: 1346 Posts: 8

2004-05-14 12:08 PM tri-girl

total immersion swimming

Started by riggler
Views: 6992 Posts: 11

2004-01-07 1:33 PM Tri Swim Coach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 7, 2009
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Work less to swim better. Part two of this video series covers the principles of active streamlining to swim faster with less effort.

date : May 6, 2009
Work less to swim better. Part one of this video series covers the philosophy of Total Immersion swimming and looks at some common freestyle swimming misconceptions.
date : October 2, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on Total Immersion swimming, strength training, road bike or triathlon bike, stationary biking for Ironman training, heat and GI issues and doing a HIM before a first IM.

date : October 3, 2007
author : Diane1961
I step gingerly into the pond. I did not know water could be that cold and not be ice. Briefly I can see the bottom and then everything is black except for my pale hands extending from my black suit.
date : June 11, 2007
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 1
Good memories are crucial to your success in the water. Trying to swim laps before you are comfortable in the water is likely to reinforce your anxiety, so avoid the white-knuckle approach.
date : September 19, 2004
comments : 1
Increasing your energy efficiency even modestly -- from, say, 3% to 4% -- can translate into a 33% improvement in your swimming.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.