General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just watched Ryf crush the course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-24 8:43 AM

Subject: just watched Ryf crush the course
if i knew how to post picks would show the video proving she will win kona by at least 10 minutes. she was outstanding - and two races in a week. freak of nature and amazingly inspiring.

2016-07-24 8:55 AM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: just watched Ryf crush the course
2016-07-24 9:42 AM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

Who?

Ironman world champion
2x 70.3 world champion
Olympian
Winner of the $1M triple crown

2016-07-24 10:04 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Again who ? Can you at least give a name. I would bet 90% of the people on this board could not name 5 pros let alone know some Intials.

A good example of this was at a Ironman race with a pretty big pro field in a coffee shop right next to the start finish line the day before. My friend noticed a top level pro sitting with the a group of pros all with there names on there shirts all names I recognized. We Chatted with them for a half hour they where a hoot but in that time not one of them was recognized by about 200 triathaletes who came by. The group included 5 of the 6 podium finishers the next day
2016-07-24 11:00 AM

User image

Elite

Daniela Ryf...she's kicking some serious butt this season.

2016-07-24 11:24 AM
in reply to: #5192299

last week she beat #2 by 20 minutes, this week 30. boom.

2016-07-24 11:31 AM
in reply to: #5192310

seriously Hamilton? you can't tell the difference between the reigning world champ's name and some random initials? clearly you don't care so don't click, don't read, don't whiney humblebrag comment, and don't be *that* guy who just has to post as the resident dbag. just don't.
2016-07-24 12:03 PM
in reply to: #5192311

I don't know...he has a point. I almost didn't open this because I thougt it was a Tour de France spoiler. Thought some unknown named Ryf won the last sprint on Stage 21. I race 6 to 8 times a year, but I couldn't name one pro. My own opinion, but Tri is a great sport to do, boring sport to watch.
2016-07-24 1:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BuckHamilton Again who ? Can you at least give a name. I would bet 90% of the people on this board could not name 5 pros let alone know some Intials. A good example of this was at a Ironman race with a pretty big pro field in a coffee shop right next to the start finish line the day before. My friend noticed a top level pro sitting with the a group of pros all with there names on there shirts all names I recognized. We Chatted with them for a half hour they where a hoot but in that time not one of them was recognized by about 200 triathaletes who came by. The group included 5 of the 6 podium finishers the next day

Dude - self absorption is the seat on the tripod of AG s/b/r.  People in this country don't support triathlon.  They just do triathlon, mostly oblivious to the sport itself outside of their own times.  I've been to some great pro races in Florida, which should be a hotbed for people who do triathlon, right?  The races, from year to year, can't even keep vendors coming because the "crowd" is so small.  One year I watched a pro race after an AG race with maybe 400 people....I bet 10 AG'ers didn't stick around to watch.

I swear, even the Wednesday night softball league players support Pro Baseball.   

Edited by Left Brain 2016-07-24 1:19 PM
2016-07-24 1:42 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Less than 1 % of the triathletes could name the reigning champions in triathalon. Watching pros does not grow the make you a supporter of the sport participating and volunteering make the difference.
2016-07-24 2:32 PM
in reply to: #5192299

LB, Florida's awe-freaking-some for triathlon (that's where I am). For partcipating, that is. Watching tri is just freaking boring. At least the softball folks support pro baseball because it's somewhat watchable.

2016-07-24 9:56 PM
in reply to: danimal123

User image

Pro

Originally posted by danimal123 LB, Florida's awe-freaking-some for triathlon (that's where I am). For partcipating, that is. Watching tri is just freaking boring. At least the softball folks support pro baseball because it's somewhat watchable.

I disagree.....but you have to know the strategies, the players, and the stories.  There is a reason it's BIG in other countries and not here........I know the reason. (so do you)

2016-07-24 10:01 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BuckHamilton Less than 1 % of the triathletes could name the reigning champions in triathalon. Watching pros does not grow the make you a supporter of the sport participating and volunteering make the difference.

OK........sure.   Tell that to the race directors who can't make a go because nobody comes to watch.  If they did, races could profit from vendors, admission, etc. As it is you drag your wife there and she can't wait to leave. (I know, I know.....she loves and supports your ambition to do something alone

2016-07-24 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
wife only comes to one race a year for me and that's only because its a 2 mile bike loop so I go past her 9 times during the race. for a spectator watching a triathalon is about as dull as it gets they all look the same as they swim by you see them for about a minute in transition then maybe once or twice on the bike course for 30 seconds than once or twice on the run for 30 more seconds As much as I love the tour de france I could never see standing on the side the rode for 3 or 4 hours only to have them wiz by me in less than a minute.
2016-07-25 9:05 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

wife only comes to one race a year for me and that's only because its a 2 mile bike loop so I go past her 9 times during the race. for a spectator watching a triathalon is about as dull as it gets they all look the same as they swim by you see them for about a minute in transition then maybe once or twice on the bike course for 30 seconds than once or twice on the run for 30 more seconds As much as I love the tour de france I could never see standing on the side the rode for 3 or 4 hours only to have them wiz by me in less than a minute.

My wife knows who the majority of the big name pros are and a lot of the mid-level pros as well. She has talked to a bunch of them at races because they are almost universally approachable and very nice and passionate about their sport.

Maybe it is only because I have become a triathlon fan-boy that my wife knows so many pros. I have become a huge fan of triathlon, from ITU to Ironman and anything in between. Heck, we watched Xterra this weekend together when it was on NBC sports. When she attends a race she tracks the leaders. It can be as interesting or as boring as you make it. If she came just to see me 3-4 times during a race it might not be that fun but at big races with competitive fields there is lots to see and do.

I know you won't change your mind. Maybe I am part of the 1% of triathletes who care about pros that someone mentioned, but following the elites/pros has added another level of enjoyment to my (and my wife's) triathlon experience.

ETA--but to address LB's point, my wife doesn't get out of bed to attend small, local races. Sleep is too valuable of a commodity.

Edited by wannabefaster 2016-07-25 9:06 AM
2016-07-25 11:45 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BuckHamilton wife only comes to one race a year for me and that's only because its a 2 mile bike loop so I go past her 9 times during the race. for a spectator watching a triathalon is about as dull as it gets they all look the same as they swim by you see them for about a minute in transition then maybe once or twice on the bike course for 30 seconds than once or twice on the run for 30 more seconds As much as I love the tour de france I could never see standing on the side the rode for 3 or 4 hours only to have them wiz by me in less than a minute.

Uh......the venue in Florida that I was speaking of has a grandstand where you can virtually see the entire race except for maybe 1/2 of the bike loop.  In Chicago you could see the athletes dozens and dozens of times each lap.  The reason it all looks the same to you is that you don't know much about triathlon (because you're not a fan)  and the view for you is always the same.....whatever your particular result is.

2016-07-25 12:26 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by BuckHamilton wife only comes to one race a year for me and that's only because its a 2 mile bike loop so I go past her 9 times during the race. for a spectator watching a triathalon is about as dull as it gets they all look the same as they swim by you see them for about a minute in transition then maybe once or twice on the bike course for 30 seconds than once or twice on the run for 30 more seconds As much as I love the tour de france I could never see standing on the side the rode for 3 or 4 hours only to have them wiz by me in less than a minute.

Uh......the venue in Florida that I was speaking of has a grandstand where you can virtually see the entire race except for maybe 1/2 of the bike loop.  In Chicago you could see the athletes dozens and dozens of times each lap.  The reason it all looks the same to you is that you don't know much about triathlon (because you're not a fan)  and the view for you is always the same.....whatever your particular result is.

I tell everyone I train with to buy the annual "TriathlonTV" broadcast. Probably some of the best money ($22?) that I spend every tri season. It is the (almost) the entire ITU race season plus a library of the last 3-4 years of ITU races. I watch them on the IPad while doing bike training sessions. Watching people race at the highest level and just gut themselves is a great way to motivate yourself to push through that last hard set or last interval. It will also give you new appreciation for just how cool Draft Legal triathlon is.

But again, if people aren't interested then they aren't interested.
2016-07-25 12:38 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

Originally posted by danimal123 LB, Florida's awe-freaking-some for triathlon (that's where I am). For partcipating, that is. Watching tri is just freaking boring. At least the softball folks support pro baseball because it's somewhat watchable.

I disagree.....but you have to know the strategies, the players, and the stories.  There is a reason it's BIG in other countries and not here........I know the reason. (so do you)

For that reason I'd totally love to do races like Challenge Roth as it looks like super high energy and lots of fans support.
2016-07-25 12:46 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by wannabefaster

I tell everyone I train with to buy the annual "TriathlonTV" broadcast. Probably some of the best money ($22?) that I spend every tri season. It is the (almost) the entire ITU race season plus a library of the last 3-4 years of ITU races. I watch them on the IPad while doing bike training sessions. Watching people race at the highest level and just gut themselves is a great way to motivate yourself to push through that last hard set or last interval. It will also give you new appreciation for just how cool Draft Legal triathlon is. But again, if people aren't interested then they aren't interested.

Yeah....awesome coverage. We watch every race.

2016-07-25 1:08 PM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
I think watching tri's is awesome. I think almost all running and cycling events are awesome to watch also. That's why my wife and I are only on Stage 5 of TDF and it's 7/25/16. We watch the whole thing. Pause if we need to go to the bathroom, etc.

I do hate that I don't get to see the first 50 miles/2 hours of each stage. At first I thought it was NBCSN's fault, but recently learned that it's the cameramen in the race that take that long to get all the bugs worked out each day.

I also hate that during the Olympic trials and I'm sure during the real thing in Rio, the stations will cut out filming of the marathon, 10k to film other stuff. I want to see the entire race!

I probably also do not know any pro's name off the top of my head. If I hear them and there are some context clues I might know.
2016-07-25 2:51 PM
in reply to: jjupiter100

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watching the tour on TV Is entertaining. Seeing it live seems like a waste. now the tri at richmond speedway(not sure they do them any more) looked like they would be fun to see.

2016-07-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: Dutchcrush

User image

20 replies and we have still yet to actually talk about the topic in the subject line...LOL.

Ryf is a cut above all the other female pros.  Ryf already won Kona by 10+ minutes last year so I wouldn't be shocked if she did it again.  But anything can happen at Kona, or during IM in general...so you never know.

2016-07-25 8:19 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by BuckHamilton Watching the tour on TV Is entertaining. Seeing it live seems like a waste. now the tri at richmond speedway(not sure they do them any more) looked like they would be fun to see.

They don't.....nobody showed up to support it.....they must have all been busy volunteering at another race and growing the sport. LOL

Edited by Left Brain 2016-07-25 8:19 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » just watched Ryf crush the course Rss Feed