General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim tracker question for Tethered Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-24 11:22 AM

Subject: Swim tracker question for Tethered Swimming
Hello.

I am new to getting into swimming. I have a pool in my backyard which is shaped as a kidney. It's not suited for lap swimming. I bought a stationary swim tether and plan to use it as my primary way of swimming. Does any decent swim tracker exist that's not based on laps? Can I successfully track any swim metrics so I know if I am getting better with any tracker? Can someone make a recommendation?

2016-07-24 6:20 PM
in reply to: dnewman84

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Subject: RE: Swim tracker question for Tethered Swimming
Other than distance and time, I wonder what else you would be able to track. Some folks want to track how many strokes they take to cover a fixed distance, and use this metric, but as you are not really moving this would not be able to be measured in your case.

So, really all you can do is track heart-rate, and that is very difficult/impossible to do reliably in the water, as far as I am aware ...

My suggestion would be to track time and use RPE or Rate of Perceived Effort (Exertion) .
In other words, perhaps swim repetitions in your pool, as you would in a reg pool or lake, but based on time rather than distance. An example might be 10 x 1 min strong with 15 sec recovery, if you are normally capable of swimming at around 2 min per 100 yds etc. This would sorta be equivalent to swimming repeats of 50 metres....

I will let the 'fish' here on BT offer suggestions for swim plans, and opinions on whether your plan to use a tether is suitably efficient.... I will offer you the best of luck in your new pursuit!

2016-07-24 10:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by dnewman84

Hello.

I am new to getting into swimming. I have a pool in my backyard which is shaped as a kidney. It's not suited for lap swimming. I bought a stationary swim tether and plan to use it as my primary way of swimming. Does any decent swim tracker exist that's not based on laps? Can I successfully track any swim metrics so I know if I am getting better with any tracker? Can someone make a recommendation?

You can "track" tempo by swimming with a tempo trainer, but that's only one metric that alone doesn't mean much. if you could somehow attache a pressure gauge between your body & the anchor you're using for the tether (like a fishscale or spring gauge you could inset) that could digitally track pressure change over time you'd have an actual measure of the forward force you're creating with your stroke...that would be slightly interesting.

however neither one of those measures directly or indirectly the drag or quality of your hydrodynamic profile in the water. So while technically you could track some numbers, none of those numbers will tell you much about your effectiveness or improvement.

When you can cover a distance and compare effort or HR with pace, at least you have an indirect measure of force production - drag production...a bigger gap moves you forward faster. Keeping force production the same (effort or RPE can be a proxy), if you swim faster, you've decreased drag in order to do so. You can't measure that when you're tethered.

You could train by RPE or Heart rate and time...but those are fitness metrics, not swim metrics. You can measure endurance as well, but again that's a fitness metric non-specific for your swimming improvement.

I would suggest using the stationary position as an opportunity to film yourself at different tempos, efforts or RPEs, and watch the video to give yourself feedback on technique. Maybe you notice that with a tempo of 45, 50, 55 strokes per minute you have a nice clean entry & extention & good catch, but then the catch deteriorates at 60 SPM or faster. Then you could spend a lot of time working on the 55 to 60 SPM range to improve catch at faster tempos & refilm, etc...

Edited by AdventureBear 2016-07-24 10:13 PM
2016-08-15 8:52 AM
in reply to: dnewman84

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts. After much pondering on this subject, I ended up getting a gym membership to a gym were they have a lap pool. I plan to use the swim tether as a 2nd option when they gym is closed only to help build endurance.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim tracker question for Tethered Swimming Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swim Tethers?

Started by jamauk
Views: 1609 Posts: 5

2011-05-23 3:26 PM H20 Killer

Tethered swimming...

Started by triton63
Views: 10623 Posts: 15

2019-12-01 2:56 PM notlob101

Homemade Swim Tether?

Started by KWin
Views: 13878 Posts: 13

2009-12-11 7:53 PM woodbldr

Swim Tethers

Started by dpitchford
Views: 10174 Posts: 9

2009-07-08 12:26 AM SevenZulu

Tether cord swim training

Started by bsglazar
Views: 3251 Posts: 8

2007-07-31 1:28 PM JoshKaptur
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2015
author : CoachCK
comments : 1
It's time to improve upon your weakness in the water and start swimming faster. Instead of ignoring your swim skills (or lack thereof), it’s time to face them head-on.

date : May 19, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Use this redesigned feature of your training logs to keep track of your time and mileage on all of your gear including shoes, bikes, tires, clothes, etc.
date : October 29, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 0
Triathlon swim training discussions on the pull, open water swimming all year, winter swim focus, bilateral breathing during a race and Ironman swim training in 6 weeks.

date : March 17, 2008
author : randomescape
comments : 10
I first decided I was going to "do" a triathlon in 1994. It wasn't until 13 years later, in 2007 that I actually did. Why did it take me 13 years to get to the starting line? The swim!
date : December 19, 2007
comments : 2
My problem is I can only swim about 30-40 meters without having to rest. What is the best way to improve this? I need to get from 40 to 750 meters in 6 months.

date : October 11, 2007
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?
date : May 8, 2007
author : Ron
Lots of updates in this version! Map your routes and elevation profiles of single sport workouts, bricks and races! Directly integrates into BT's training log to assign routes to workouts.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.