image.jpeg (106KB - 11 downloads)

2016-07-26 8:22 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Philadelphia

Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy btw, that was a fantastic speech from First Lady Michelle Obama. If you didn't get to hear it, I'd advise checking it out online.

but who did she plagiarize?  Hehe

unfortunately I'm not able to watch any of it this week.  We're up at Oshkosh getting sunburnt in stead.

This one made me laugh.

2016-07-26 8:53 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy btw, that was a fantastic speech from First Lady Michelle Obama. If you didn't get to hear it, I'd advise checking it out online.

It was certainly the speech of the night.  She convinced me not to vote for Donald Trump, although it wasn't that hard.

2016-07-26 8:55 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I for one very much enjoyed the message that the DNC is starting to roll out.  Things aren't perfect, but the sky isn't falling a la Rudy Juliani's point of view.  Some sterner stuff from Elizabeth Warren, as usual.   I think they showed a bit that compassion and strength aren't mutually exclusive.

2016-07-26 10:29 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro

Originally posted by dmiller5

I for one very much enjoyed the message that the DNC is starting to roll out.  Things aren't perfect, but the sky isn't falling a la Rudy Juliani's point of view.  Some sterner stuff from Elizabeth Warren, as usual.   I think they showed a bit that compassion and strength aren't mutually exclusive.

Bro - did you cry when Bernie was speaking? 

2016-07-26 10:37 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Left Brain

Bro - did you cry when Bernie was speaking? 

uncontrollably

2016-07-26 10:41 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'll admit that it is much easier to ignore reality and pretend ISIS and cop killing hate groups don't exist. Then you don't have to do anything to fix it as a politician.
2016-07-26 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I'll admit that it is much easier to ignore reality and pretend ISIS and cop killing hate groups don't exist. Then you don't have to do anything to fix it as a politician.

didn't you call Clinton a warhawk in another thread?

and as for cop killing.  The democratic approach to the problem is to stop throwing our young people in jail for weed possession.  give them access to college and healthcare instead of leaving them few options and putting them in the system, don't get me started on for-profit prisons.  

2016-07-26 11:07 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Nero fiddled while Rome burnt.  Whistling thru the graveyard.  Pollyanna speech by Michele

I read an article that said there was not one mention of ISIS in any of the DNC speeches yesterday....meanwhile ISIS cut the head off a priest while he was giving mass in Normandy.  But hey, every little thing gonna be alright....

2016-07-26 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

and as for cop killing.  The democratic approach to the problem is to stop throwing our young people in jail for weed possession.  give them access to college and healthcare instead of leaving them few options and putting them in the system, don't get me started on for-profit prisons.  

Show me one inner city kid that doesn't already have free healthcare and college. I'll make it easy for you, there aren't any. I spend a lot of time and money working with inert city kids and the problem has nothing to do with not having enough free stuff, it's because they have broken families and people telling them that they can't succeed.
2016-07-26 1:47 PM

User image

Pro

Show me one inner city kid that doesn't already have free healthcare and college. I'll make it easy for you, there aren't any. I spend a lot of time and money working with inert city kids and the problem has nothing to do with not having enough free stuff, it's because they have broken families and people telling them that they can't succeed.

That is truth.......if you don't believe it then you don't spend any time in our inner cities or with poor people in general.  Staying in High school is the other key.......but most kids from intact families do that, no matter what their station in life.

2016-07-26 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

That is truth.......if you don't believe it then you don't spend any time in our inner cities or with poor people in general.  Staying in High school is the other key.......but most kids from intact families do that, no matter what their station in life.

and one of the reasons that families aren't intact?  The disproportionate amount of black men in prison.

2016-07-26 2:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

and one of the reasons that families aren't intact?  The disproportionate amount of black men in prison.

Possibly........the water starts to get muddy when you look for reasons why.  And when you break black and white up into income level you find that the disparities almost disappear along racial lines.  You also find the nearly the same number of broken homes as well.  Once you take race out of the equation and only look at income level, you'd probably be surprised what happens to all those crime and prison stats that you think follow racial factors.

The truth of the matter is that it ALL starts with money.  If you want to get to the root of the problem then you have to start with how to fix the disproportionate number of poor black people. 

Unfortunately, you won't be able to blame the police or justice system anymore so you'll have to actually find a real solution.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-07-26 2:31 PM
2016-07-26 2:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Possibly........the water starts to get muddy when you look for reasons why.  And when you break black and white up into income level you find that the disparities almost disappear along racial lines.  You also find the nearly the same number of broken homes as well.  Once you take race out of the equation and only look at income level, you'd probably be surprised what happens to all those crime and prison stats that you think follow racial factors.

The truth of the matter is that it ALL starts with money.  If you want to get to the root of the problem then you have to start with how to fix the disproportionate number of poor black people. 

Unfortunately, you won't be able to blame the police or justice system anymore so you'll have to actually find a real solution.

yes, lets help get those poor black people an education! and the poor white people.  how about the poor people.. you know, the people that can't afford the ridiculous cost of education now....

2016-07-26 2:36 PM

User image

Pro

yes, lets help get those poor black people an education! and the poor white people.  how about the poor people.. you know, the people that can't afford the ridiculous cost of education now....

Dude - did you miss the first part of this conversation.......poor people have a MUCH easier time affording college then you think.  We have to find a way to get them through high school and on that path.  The FASTEST way to do that, in my mind, is to create jobs now so that families have something to hold on to.....or what you have is people selling drugs and stealing to make ends meet.....which leads to prison, which leads to you and others blaming the police and justice system.

We need decent paying JOBS.  There are plenty of ways to get to college.

2016-07-26 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Dude - did you miss the first part of this conversation.......poor people have a MUCH easier time affording college then you think.  We have to find a way to get them through high school and on that path.  The FASTEST way to do that, in my mind, is to create jobs now so that families have something to hold on to.....or what you have is people selling drugs and stealing to make ends meet.....which leads to prison, which leads to you and others blaming the police and justice system.

ok decent paying jobs.  This is why we need to raise the minimum wage.  We need to make working at mcdonalds or wherever into a job where you can work 40 hours a week and get by, and raise your family.  We gotta make working a job more attractive than slingin dope.  If I have to slave all day, and come out without enough money to make ends meet, that's when crime starts for a lot of people.  The system is screwing me, so screw the system. 

2016-07-26 2:54 PM

User image

Pro

ok decent paying jobs.  This is why we need to raise the minimum wage.  We need to make working at mcdonalds or wherever into a job where you can work 40 hours a week and get by, and raise your family.  We gotta make working a job more attractive than slingin dope.  If I have to slave all day, and come out without enough money to make ends meet, that's when crime starts for a lot of people.  The system is screwing me, so screw the system. 

I would be in favor of raising the minimum wage to 15.00 for corporations making X amount of dollars and for people who can show they are "head of household", either mother, father, or still married.  You can't just all of the sudden make a fledgling business pay 15.00/hr or you will be cutting off your nose to spite your face.....we need those start up businesses as well as large corporations.

See, that's the deal.....nobody actually wants to THINK about this stuff.  They just want to throw soundbites out and point fingers at each other and the Police and criminal justice system......just like you did right off the bat.  That's a recipe for the disaster that's surely coming.  Just wait until one of the idiot moron mentally ill white supremists opens up on a crowd of protestors.....and it's coming.  Remember where you heard it.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-07-26 2:55 PM
2016-07-26 3:33 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

There are a few problems with raising the minimum wage.

Does anyone really think the business owner is just going to eat a 30% increase in labor cost? The employer will simply pass on the added cost to the consumer. Soon you will $12 for a Happy Meal. Eventually everything will go up in price. It's called inflation. There is no "free money" out there! The money comes from society.

You also de-incentivize people from learning a skill or a trade. If I can make $15/hr mopping floors why would I want to go to a trade school for a year to learn how to weld when I can make the same thing mopping floors. Minimum wage is for entry level work. It is unskilled labor and it what they pay 16 yo kids who work at KFC or Publix bagging groceries or the movie theater ripping your ticket stub.

Lastly, you eliminate jobs and replace them with computers, scanners, robots. 1 person can over-see 4 of the self-check out machines at Walmart and Kroger. Right now you still have the option of using cashiers but increase labor costs by 30% and you won't. Business are smart and figure out ways to maintain their profit margins. Maybe that means going to 2x as many part time workers and eliminating benefits costs.

Imagine this. If tomorrow King Obama said, "I have signed an executive order. Effective immediately everyone income is double! And so it written and so shall it be." Business would immediately double the costs of all goods and services. Would you feel richer the next day?

2016-07-26 4:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
This is why we need to raise the minimum wage.  We need to make working at mcdonalds or wherever into a job where you can work 40 hours a week and get by, and raise your family.  We gotta make working a job more attractive than slingin dope.  If I have to slave all day, and come out without enough money to make ends meet, that's when crime starts for a lot of people.  The system is screwing me, so screw the system. 

I truly don't understand this. Why would anyone expect to support a family with a job that can be taught to a 16 year old in less than a day? I think we'd be much better off by sending people to technical school where they can learn how to do things that are more difficult than hitting the hamburger picture on a computer screen. Then they will get paid more, because they are worth it. No need to raise the minimum wage.
2016-07-26 7:56 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by jmcconne
Originally posted by dmiller5 This is why we need to raise the minimum wage.  We need to make working at mcdonalds or wherever into a job where you can work 40 hours a week and get by, and raise your family.  We gotta make working a job more attractive than slingin dope.  If I have to slave all day, and come out without enough money to make ends meet, that's when crime starts for a lot of people.  The system is screwing me, so screw the system. 
I truly don't understand this. Why would anyone expect to support a family with a job that can be taught to a 16 year old in less than a day? I think we'd be much better off by sending people to technical school where they can learn how to do things that are more difficult than hitting the hamburger picture on a computer screen. Then they will get paid more, because they are worth it. No need to raise the minimum wage.

SOMEONE HAS TO SERVE THE BURGERS.  There are unskilled jobs in our world that must be done.  The people that do them aren't trash, they are people.  We should treat them as people.

2016-07-26 9:01 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

it is easy to point to fast food - everyone has at least a passing knowledge of it.   The next time you get on a plane to fly - check out the guys fueling the plane.   Those people have a complex series of steps and safety checks to do, have to calculate how much fuel to put in, and do it quickly of there are big costs involved.   They drive huge trucks around filled with jet fuel - they are like a bomb on wheels.    They are not required to have a CDL because they drive only on private roads.    

You know how much they get paid?  I would think that is a decent blue collar wage.   Nope.  $9.50/ hour in Reno.   How safe do you feel flying now?

Edited by bootygirl 2016-07-26 9:03 PM

2016-07-26 9:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

>

SOMEONE HAS TO SERVE THE BURGERS.  There are unskilled jobs in our world that must be done.  The people that do them aren't trash, they are people.  We should treat them as people.

First off, serving burgers can and will be automated as soon as it is cheaper to do so. People are already ordering food from their phones so they can pick it up easier, pretty soon there will be a kiosk available onsite to order the food yourself. I personally would much prefer to deal with a kiosk where I can see what is being submitted to be prepared.

The people that are doing unskilled jobs now can be teenagers, college students, retirees, etc. There are large groups of people that can do these types of jobs, but don't need to support an entire family. These types of positions are great if someone would like to learn the business and grow in the industry. For those people, the salary is only a part of the overall compensation.

Check out the Mike Rowe Works foundation, http://profoundlydisconnected.com/. There are millions of skilled trade jobs that are available, but people need more than a day to learn how to do the job. Not all people are made to go to college and work in an office, but aside from a very small percentage of people with various disabilities, the vast majority of people can do more that take fast food orders.

We can do better, but it takes more effort.
2016-07-26 9:27 PM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by dmiller5 >

First off, serving burgers can and will be automated as soon as it is cheaper to do so. People are already ordering food from their phones so they can pick it up easier, pretty soon there will be a kiosk available onsite to order the food yourself. I personally would much prefer to deal with a kiosk where I can see what is being submitted to be prepared. The people that are doing unskilled jobs now can be teenagers, college students, retirees, etc. There are large groups of people that can do these types of jobs, but don't need to support an entire family. These types of positions are great if someone would like to learn the business and grow in the industry. For those people, the salary is only a part of the overall compensation. Check out the Mike Rowe Works foundation, http://profoundlydisconnected.com/.There are millions of skilled trade jobs that are available, but people need more than a day to learn how to do the job. Not all people are made to go to college and work in an office, but aside from a very small percentage of people with various disabilities, the vast majority of people can do more that take fast food orders. We can do better, but it takes more effort.

teenagers go to school during the day.  So do college students.  Retirees...are retired....  and ok fine. you don't like burgers pick another job. 

are there enough teens to do this?

• Agricultural equipment operators
  • Baggage porters/bellhops
  • Bartenders
  • Call center workers
  • Cashiers
  • Child-care workers
  • Cooks (fast food)
  • Crossing guards
  • Counter and rental clerks
  • Diningroom and cafeteria attendants and bartender helpers
  • Dishwashers
  • Education assistants
  • Farm labor contractors
  • Farm workers
  • Food preparation workers
  • Funeral attendants
  • Hand packers and packagers
  • Home health aides
  • Hospitality (hotel, motel, resort) desk clerks
  • Janitors and cleaners
  • Laundry and drycleaning workers
  • Locker room, coat room, and dressing room attendants
  • Maids and housekeeping staff
  • Manicurists and pedicurists
  • Meat, poultry, and fish cutters and trimmers
  • Nonfarm animal caretakers
  • Nurses aides
  • Parking lot attendants
  • Pressers
  • Retail salespeople
  • Security guards
  • Service station attendants
  • Sewing machine operators
  • Shampooers
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs
  • Ushers, lobby attendants, ticket takers
  • Waiters and waitresses
2016-07-26 9:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Bill Clinton just CRUSHED it.

2016-07-27 8:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by dmiller5 >

First off, serving burgers can and will be automated as soon as it is cheaper to do so. People are already ordering food from their phones so they can pick it up easier, pretty soon there will be a kiosk available onsite to order the food yourself. I personally would much prefer to deal with a kiosk where I can see what is being submitted to be prepared. The people that are doing unskilled jobs now can be teenagers, college students, retirees, etc. There are large groups of people that can do these types of jobs, but don't need to support an entire family. These types of positions are great if someone would like to learn the business and grow in the industry. For those people, the salary is only a part of the overall compensation. Check out the Mike Rowe Works foundation, http://profoundlydisconnected.com/.There are millions of skilled trade jobs that are available, but people need more than a day to learn how to do the job. Not all people are made to go to college and work in an office, but aside from a very small percentage of people with various disabilities, the vast majority of people can do more that take fast food orders. We can do better, but it takes more effort.

teenagers go to school during the day.  So do college students.  Retirees...are retired....  and ok fine. you don't like burgers pick another job. 

are there enough teens to do this?

• Agricultural equipment operators
  • Baggage porters/bellhops
  • Bartenders
  • Call center workers
  • Cashiers
  • Child-care workers
  • Cooks (fast food)
  • Crossing guards
  • Counter and rental clerks
  • Diningroom and cafeteria attendants and bartender helpers
  • Dishwashers
  • Education assistants
  • Farm labor contractors
  • Farm workers
  • Food preparation workers
  • Funeral attendants
  • Hand packers and packagers
  • Home health aides
  • Hospitality (hotel, motel, resort) desk clerks
  • Janitors and cleaners
  • Laundry and drycleaning workers
  • Locker room, coat room, and dressing room attendants
  • Maids and housekeeping staff
  • Manicurists and pedicurists
  • Meat, poultry, and fish cutters and trimmers
  • Nonfarm animal caretakers
  • Nurses aides
  • Parking lot attendants
  • Pressers
  • Retail salespeople
  • Security guards
  • Service station attendants
  • Sewing machine operators
  • Shampooers
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs
  • Ushers, lobby attendants, ticket takers
  • Waiters and waitresses

Where did you get this list that these people all make minimum wage? Many work based on tips, so they make much more. I personally would much prefer to pay them more rather than have to give tips every time you turn around. Some of the other jobs require skill and knowledge, so paying them more would make sense but customers have to pay more. For example with child care workers, people choose where they place their kids. They can pay more to go to a place that pays their workers more.

Many of the other jobs are not meant to be a career. They are entrance jobs, where you are proving you can work hard, you're responsible, etc. You should be in the position for a year or less.

Should some positions get paid more for what they do, of course. But making a blanket rule that covers everyone isn't an answer. We should make more use of the Earned Income Tax Credit that can be targeted to help those that work hard to support a family, but for whatever reason need more money to make ends meet. We can improve the opportunities to get training in fields that are in demand and require skills.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Philadelphia Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!