in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Philadelphia

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by jmcconne
Originally posted by dmiller5 >

SOMEONE HAS TO SERVE THE BURGERS.  There are unskilled jobs in our world that must be done.  The people that do them aren't trash, they are people.  We should treat them as people.

First off, serving burgers can and will be automated as soon as it is cheaper to do so. People are already ordering food from their phones so they can pick it up easier, pretty soon there will be a kiosk available onsite to order the food yourself. I personally would much prefer to deal with a kiosk where I can see what is being submitted to be prepared. The people that are doing unskilled jobs now can be teenagers, college students, retirees, etc. There are large groups of people that can do these types of jobs, but don't need to support an entire family. These types of positions are great if someone would like to learn the business and grow in the industry. For those people, the salary is only a part of the overall compensation. Check out the Mike Rowe Works foundation, http://profoundlydisconnected.com/.There are millions of skilled trade jobs that are available, but people need more than a day to learn how to do the job. Not all people are made to go to college and work in an office, but aside from a very small percentage of people with various disabilities, the vast majority of people can do more that take fast food orders. We can do better, but it takes more effort.

teenagers go to school during the day.  So do college students.  Retirees...are retired....  and ok fine. you don't like burgers pick another job. 

are there enough teens to do this?

• Agricultural equipment operators
  • Baggage porters/bellhops
  • Bartenders
  • Call center workers
  • Cashiers
  • Child-care workers
  • Cooks (fast food)
  • Crossing guards
  • Counter and rental clerks
  • Diningroom and cafeteria attendants and bartender helpers
  • Dishwashers
  • Education assistants
  • Farm labor contractors
  • Farm workers
  • Food preparation workers
  • Funeral attendants
  • Hand packers and packagers
  • Home health aides
  • Hospitality (hotel, motel, resort) desk clerks
  • Janitors and cleaners
  • Laundry and drycleaning workers
  • Locker room, coat room, and dressing room attendants
  • Maids and housekeeping staff
  • Manicurists and pedicurists
  • Meat, poultry, and fish cutters and trimmers
  • Nonfarm animal caretakers
  • Nurses aides
  • Parking lot attendants
  • Pressers
  • Retail salespeople
  • Security guards
  • Service station attendants
  • Sewing machine operators
  • Shampooers
  • Taxi drivers and chauffeurs
  • Ushers, lobby attendants, ticket takers
  • Waiters and waitresses

A great many of these jobs pay way more than minimum wage.  I have a daughter who bags groceries for Publix  and makes $9.50 an hour.  Minimum wage here is $7.25/hr.  If you START people at the $15 they will work hard and expect raises and there is no room for growth.  My daughter did not start at $9.50 and hour but has gotten raises each of the last 2 years.  Might not seem like much but a $0.75 /hr raise meant the world to her for being rewarded for working hard.  If she started at $10 an hr she likely would never get a raise.....ever....and that just sucks.

Look at some of the others position you mentioned....we pay our housekeeper about $20/hr.  She does not work full time but has multiple houses and gets paid about the same at them too.  Really not a bad pay for doing housework given that 10 yo kids can vacuum the carpet.

My son is in college and as a waiter makes about $12/hr but some nights as much as $25 /hr.

If you figure entry level jobs are for high schoolers thru college, or age 16 to about 24...sparing you the math, this is about 15% of the workforce...certainly enough 'teens' (and retirees willing to work for minimum wage) to do these entry level unskilled jobs. 

2016-07-27 9:14 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Rogillio

SOMEONE HAS TO SERVE THE BURGERS.  There are unskilled jobs in our world that must be done.  The people that do them aren't trash, they are people.  We should treat them as people.

First off, serving burgers can and will be automated as soon as it is cheaper to do so. People are already ordering food from their phones so they can pick it up easier, pretty soon there will be a kiosk available onsite to order the food yourself. I personally would much prefer to deal with a kiosk where I can see what is being submitted to be prepared. The people that are doing unskilled jobs now can be teenagers, college students, retirees, etc. There are large groups of people that can do these types of jobs, but don't need to support an entire family. These types of positions are great if someone would like to learn the business and grow in the industry. For those people, the salary is only a part of the overall compensation. Check out the Mike Rowe Works foundation, http://profoundlydisconnected.com/.There are millions of skilled trade jobs that are available, but people need more than a day to learn how to do the job. Not all people are made to go to college and work in an office, but aside from a very small percentage of people with various disabilities, the vast majority of people can do more that take fast food orders. We can do better, but it takes more effort.

teenagers go to school during the day.  So do college students.  Retirees...are retired....  and ok fine. you don't like burgers pick another job. 

• Bartenders
  • Call center workers
  • Cashiers
  • Child-care workers
  • Cooks (fast food)
  • Crossing guards
  • Dishwashers
  • Education assistants
  • Farm labor contractors
  • Farm workers
  • Funeral attendants
  • Home health aides
  • Janitors and cleaners
  • Nurses aides
  • Parking lot attendants
  • Pressers
  • Retail salespeople
  • Security guards
  • Shampooers
  • Waiters and waitresses

A great many of these jobs pay way more than minimum wage.  I have a daughter who bags groceries for Publix  and makes $9.50 an hour.  Minimum wage here is $7.25/hr.  If you START people at the $15 they will work hard and expect raises and there is no room for growth.  My daughter did not start at $9.50 and hour but has gotten raises each of the last 2 years.  Might not seem like much but a $0.75 /hr raise meant the world to her for being rewarded for working hard.  If she started at $10 an hr she likely would never get a raise.....ever....and that just sucks.

Look at some of the others position you mentioned....we pay our housekeeper about $20/hr.  She does not work full time but has multiple houses and gets paid about the same at them too.  Really not a bad pay for doing housework given that 10 yo kids can vacuum the carpet.

My son is in college and as a waiter makes about $12/hr but some nights as much as $25 /hr.

If you figure entry level jobs are for high schoolers thru college, or age 16 to about 24...sparing you the math, this is about 15% of the workforce...certainly enough 'teens' (and retirees willing to work for minimum wage) to do these entry level unskilled jobs. 

that 15% math doesn't add up.

also what we haven't mentioned here is the difference in what $7.25 gets you where you live, and what it gets you where I live.

2016-07-27 9:18 AM
in reply to: jmcconne

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by dmiller5 This is why we need to raise the minimum wage.  We need to make working at mcdonalds or wherever into a job where you can work 40 hours a week and get by, and raise your family.  We gotta make working a job more attractive than slingin dope.  If I have to slave all day, and come out without enough money to make ends meet, that's when crime starts for a lot of people.  The system is screwing me, so screw the system. 
I truly don't understand this. Why would anyone expect to support a family with a job that can be taught to a 16 year old in less than a day? I think we'd be much better off by sending people to technical school where they can learn how to do things that are more difficult than hitting the hamburger picture on a computer screen. Then they will get paid more, because they are worth it. No need to raise the minimum wage.

I used to work as a home visitor for a federally funded program called Early Head Start. I did home visits with children ages birth to 3, I had about 8 clients I would see in a week. I grew up sheltered middle class, didn't know anything about food stamps, public housing etc. I got an education real fast. One of my clients I will never forget, she was 20 or 21 with 5 kids and one on the way. She had her first baby at the age of 14. She did not have an education, did not graduate high school and could not read very well. She got a job at McDonalds for a while. I would come for home visits and her loser, kind of scary significant other would be home with the toddler. He did not work and did not intend to as he collected disability. A few weeks passed and I caught a visit with Mom home. She had to quit her job at McDonalds because her pay was just enough to make her eligible for a medical card and food stamps. but clearly not enough to care for 5 kids. She was trying. She had no skills, 5 kids and not a lot of options. 

Just speaking as to why someone would try to raise a family on a minimum wage job. 

2016-07-27 9:38 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

• Bartenders
  • Call center workers
  • Cashiers
  • Child-care workers
  • Cooks (fast food)
  • Crossing guards
  • Dishwashers
  • Education assistants
  • Farm labor contractors
  • Farm workers
  • Funeral attendants
  • Home health aides
  • Janitors and cleaners
  • Nurses aides
  • Parking lot attendants
  • Pressers
  • Retail salespeople
  • Security guards
  • Shampooers
  • Waiters and waitresses

that 15% math doesn't add up.

also what we haven't mentioned here is the difference in what $7.25 gets you where you live, and what it gets you where I live.

~150 million people in the workforce.

There are about 20 million people between the age of 16 - 24.....about %15.  Giver or take a few million.  This does not include the number of retirees willing to work in the paint department at Lowes or drive the Zamboni at the hockey game.

Yes, minimum wage is much higher in Seattle ($15/hr) than it is in BF Egypt.  But if you mandate a FEDERAL minimum wage then you make Seattle and BF both pay the same.  Keep in mind that states and cities can also impose minimum wages.  We don't need the federal government running everything.  We fought one war already over states' rights. 

2016-07-27 9:39 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

• Bartenders
  • Call center workers
  • Cashiers
  • Child-care workers
  • Cooks (fast food)
  • Crossing guards
  • Dishwashers
  • Education assistants
  • Farm labor contractors
  • Farm workers
  • Funeral attendants
  • Home health aides
  • Janitors and cleaners
  • Nurses aides
  • Parking lot attendants
  • Pressers
  • Retail salespeople
  • Security guards
  • Shampooers
  • Waiters and waitresses

So....you don't like Trump coming out in support of a federal minimum wage rate of $10/hr last night? Maybe you should look at Gary Johnson's platform. 

2016-07-27 9:42 AM
in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

• Bartenders
  • Call center workers
  • Cashiers
  • Child-care workers
  • Cooks (fast food)
  • Crossing guards
  • Dishwashers
  • Education assistants
  • Farm labor contractors
  • Farm workers
  • Funeral attendants
  • Home health aides
  • Janitors and cleaners
  • Nurses aides
  • Parking lot attendants
  • Pressers
  • Retail salespeople
  • Security guards
  • Shampooers
  • Waiters and waitresses

So....you don't like Trump coming out in support of a federal minimum wage rate of $10/hr last night? Maybe you should look at Gary Johnson's platform. 

but trump has also said he wants to REDUCE the minimum wage to "help corporations"

2016-07-27 9:44 AM

User image

Pro

I'll give up my job if anyone can find someone who wants it.

2016-07-27 9:44 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

• Bartenders
  • Call center workers
  • Cashiers
  • Child-care workers
  • Cooks (fast food)
  • Crossing guards
  • Dishwashers
  • Education assistants
  • Farm labor contractors
  • Farm workers
  • Funeral attendants
  • Home health aides
  • Janitors and cleaners
  • Nurses aides
  • Parking lot attendants
  • Pressers
  • Retail salespeople
  • Security guards
  • Shampooers
  • Waiters and waitresses

but trump has also said he wants to REDUCE the minimum wage to "help corporations"

The Donald taking contradictory positions on an issue? I am aghast!

2016-07-27 10:23 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by Left Brain

I'll give up my job if anyone can find someone who wants it.

Are you kidding me?  Sit around surfing the internet and posting on internet forums all day?  Hell no!  How boring is that?!  [Mike looks down, shuffles his feet a little, shakes his head, shrugs his shoulders and walks to the coffee room murmuring under his breath]

2016-07-27 10:25 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

• Bartenders
  • Call center workers
  • Cashiers
  • Child-care workers
  • Cooks (fast food)
  • Crossing guards
  • Dishwashers
  • Education assistants
  • Farm labor contractors
  • Farm workers
  • Funeral attendants
  • Home health aides
  • Janitors and cleaners
  • Nurses aides
  • Parking lot attendants
  • Pressers
  • Retail salespeople
  • Security guards
  • Shampooers
  • Waiters and waitresses

The Donald taking contradictory positions on an issue? I am aghast!

Thanks a lot.  Now please come wipe off the coffee I just sprayed all over my monitor.

LOL!!

2016-07-27 8:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Joe Biden playin for keeps.  Dem speakers keep on slayin it.

2016-07-27 10:00 PM

User image

Elite

• Bartenders
  • Call center workers
  • Cashiers
  • Child-care workers
  • Cooks (fast food)
  • Crossing guards
  • Dishwashers
  • Education assistants
  • Farm labor contractors
  • Farm workers
  • Funeral attendants
  • Home health aides
  • Janitors and cleaners
  • Nurses aides
  • Parking lot attendants
  • Pressers
  • Retail salespeople
  • Security guards
  • Shampooers
  • Waiters and waitresses

Yes, one day Trump says he wants the minimum wage raised, the next day he says lower.
This is not the only issue he has flip-flopped on. The guy can't help himself.
Is this not apparent to everyone watching?
2016-07-27 10:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
What a speech!!!!!

Just the possibility of transitioning from such a poised, level-headed, thoughtful man to a crass character like Trump...it just saddens me deeply.
Seriously, give me examples of Trump admitting mistakes. Are there any examples? It's like watching Charlie Sheen back in his drug-fueled "WINNING" days. He does not even feign humility.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy 2016-07-27 10:50 PM
2016-07-28 8:17 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy What a speech!!!!! Just the possibility of transitioning from such a poised, level-headed, thoughtful man to a crass character like Trump...it just saddens me deeply. Seriously, give me examples of Trump admitting mistakes. Are there any examples? It's like watching Charlie Sheen back in his drug-fueled "WINNING" days. He does not even feign humility.

Obama is a good orator but poor leader.  He was a good community organizer but poor executive.

I've had it with politicians and the establishment, status quo.  I've flown an American flag off my front porch every day since 9/11.  If Hillary wins this election, it will come down.  This country is doomed and will never recover.  We will continue to spiral in and eventually collapse under out own debt.

2016-07-28 9:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy What a speech!!!!! Just the possibility of transitioning from such a poised, level-headed, thoughtful man to a crass character like Trump...it just saddens me deeply. Seriously, give me examples of Trump admitting mistakes. Are there any examples? It's like watching Charlie Sheen back in his drug-fueled "WINNING" days. He does not even feign humility.

Obama is a good orator but poor leader.  He was a good community organizer but poor executive.

I've had it with politicians and the establishment, status quo.  I've flown an American flag off my front porch every day since 9/11.  If Hillary wins this election, it will come down.  This country is doomed and will never recover.  We will continue to spiral in and eventually collapse under out own debt.

can't wait to see what you do when we have a homosexual president.

2016-07-28 9:20 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

lol, why do you always think everything is about race and sexual preference?  If you want people to treat people equally you should lead by example.

2016-07-28 9:20 AM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
2016-07-28 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Originally posted by tuwood

lol, why do you always think everything is about race and sexual preference?  If you want people to treat people equally you should lead by example.

because its so easy to rile up rogillio with it.

2016-07-28 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

So you really think Hillary is homosexual?  You may be right....maybe that is why Bill had to have sodomize a 19 yo intern with a cigar to get this thrills.  I've seen stories and rumors about her being homosexual but didn't really believer them.  But you would know better than I.

2016-07-28 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

So you really think Hillary is homosexual?  You may be right....maybe that is why Bill had to have sodomize a 19 yo intern with a cigar to get this thrills.  I've seen stories and rumors about her being homosexual but didn't really believer them.  But you would know better than I.

gonna leave the country yet??!?

2016-07-28 9:29 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Originally posted by tuwood

because its so easy to rile up rogillio with it.

Does your keyboard not have a 'shift' key or do you really not know to capitalize the first word in each sentence and proper nouns?  ;-)

Just bustin' you chops.

2016-07-28 9:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Alabama

gonna leave the country yet??!?

I have been to Mexico, England, Scotland, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Vatican City, Spain, Liechtenstein, Morocco, South Korea, Canada, Japan, Bahamas, British West Indies, Norway, Sweden, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Russia, Denmark, Finland, Belize, Honduras, China, Peru, Singapore and the United States of America and have yet to find a better place to live.

But the USA that I love is going to go bankrupt and moving towards full blown socialism. If that happens, I will move to Texas and hope they secede from the Union.

Edited by Rogillio 2016-07-28 9:42 AM
2016-07-28 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Dude, don't take any news from Alex Jones seriously. Ever. The man still thinks Sandy Hook and the moon landing were hoaxes. I also cannot believe that the DNC would openly advertise on Craigslist to find seat fillers. 

2016-07-28 9:53 AM

User image

Pro

Dude, don't take any news from Alex Jones seriously. Ever. The man still thinks Sandy Hook and the moon landing were hoaxes. I also cannot believe that the DNC would openly advertise on Craigslist to find seat fillers. 

So the entire area around the Convention Center is basically a high fence no-go area except for credentialed people, but the Secret Service and the rest of the security force just let nearly 1000 people who answered a Craigslist  ad into the convention center?

I'm gonna go with...................nah.

2016-07-28 9:57 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Wait, we landed on the moon? I was mainly basing my opinion on the videos, but do agree the Craigslist add is a stretch.
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Philadelphia Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!