General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather to hot weather climate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-24 9:14 PM

Subject: Cold weather to hot weather climate
Hi BT people. Let me preface this by saying I grew up in Florida and lived her for my first 26 years. However for the last 20 years I have lived in Chicago and last month (mid June ) moved back to the Orlando area.

I am newer to running and triathlon. This is less than 2 years and have done a couple of sprints and also 2 1/2 marathons. Since moving to Florida (about 1 and 1/2 months ago) I have really struggled with the warm weather and the heat in general. Before moving running 5 to 6 miles was not a problem. If I was training for a half Marathon I could get up to the training distance for the most part ok. Since moving down here (again about a month and 1/2 ago ) my running has literally fallen apart. Like literally like starting at square one. I can barely go a mile now before I have to implement a run walk strategy to get through 3 or 4 miles. The heat and humidity just literally beats me down big time. Is this something I will get used to or is it just timing and I moved here at the hottest time of the year and once the late fall gets here and early winter my running will turn for the better.

I played HS football here in FL and went through 2 a day practices and it was tough but never beat me down. I never ran distance back then other than the mile in 9th grade track.

Has anyone else ever transitioned from the cold part of the country to the hot part of the country.

Just looking for some sort of encouragement as I am feeling best down these days

2016-07-24 9:35 PM
in reply to: Ksmmdm

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Cold weather to hot weather climate
Originally posted by Ksmmdm

Hi BT people. Let me preface this by saying I grew up in Florida and lived her for my first 26 years. However for the last 20 years I have lived in Chicago and last month (mid June ) moved back to the Orlando area.

I am newer to running and triathlon. This is less than 2 years and have done a couple of sprints and also 2 1/2 marathons. Since moving to Florida (about 1 and 1/2 months ago) I have really struggled with the warm weather and the heat in general. Before moving running 5 to 6 miles was not a problem. If I was training for a half Marathon I could get up to the training distance for the most part ok. Since moving down here (again about a month and 1/2 ago ) my running has literally fallen apart. Like literally like starting at square one. I can barely go a mile now before I have to implement a run walk strategy to get through 3 or 4 miles. The heat and humidity just literally beats me down big time. Is this something I will get used to or is it just timing and I moved here at the hottest time of the year and once the late fall gets here and early winter my running will turn for the better.

I played HS football here in FL and went through 2 a day practices and it was tough but never beat me down. I never ran distance back then other than the mile in 9th grade track.

Has anyone else ever transitioned from the cold part of the country to the hot part of the country.

Just looking for some sort of encouragement as I am feeling best down these days
I'm not sure if this will help you or not. We have really hot summers here but we don't get the humidity that Florida does so it might not help. But here in the summer you HAVE to get up early and run or go well after dark because it is just too hot otherwise.

Also while you get used to the change in conditions start out with using run/walk right from the get go and dial back your mileage a bit. Give your body some time to adjust, don't consider it failure to need to do this, failure would be to not run at all.
2016-07-24 9:51 PM
in reply to: Ksmmdm

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Cold weather to hot weather climate
That was me when I moved from Oregon to Vietnam to work about seven years ago. I went from being able to comfortably put in ten miles or so to struggling to finish a 2-3 mile run without puking or getting dizzy. It takes time. Run early or late, always carry hydration for anything over about 20 minutes, use a run-walk strategy if needed, drink every 5-10 minutes, weigh yourself before and after running to make sure you are replenishing fluids properly, slow way down, and build up time/mileage gradually.

It took me about six months to get up to running "comfortably" for an hour or so. Even now (after seven years of living in the tropics about 10 months a year) I still feel like a 30 minute run there takes as much out of me as an hour in Oregon, a one-hour run in Saigon feels like a two-hour run in Oregon, and so on. In fact, it's a major reason I gave up marathoning and took up triathlon. I can swim and call it training, and even for half-ironman I don't usually run longer than two hours. That truly is about as long as I would ever want to run there. (I think I have done a few runs of 2:15 but I do not want to do so there again!) I'll be honest--as one of my colleagues said, you get used to heat and humidity the way you might get used to having a chronic disease--it's still a constant, low-level energy drain that doesn't ever go away; you just learn to cope with it and notice it less.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cold weather to hot weather climate Rss Feed