General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swiming up stream Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-07-25 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Swiming up stream
Is there any particular trick to swimming up stream into a current. the race I will be swims up stream for 400 meters before turning going down stream for 1100
meters. do I put a lot of effort into the first 400 to make the turn and get out of the current as fast as possible?

2016-07-25 2:49 PM
in reply to: BuckHamilton

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: Swiming up stream
Originally posted by BuckHamilton

Is there any particular trick to swimming up stream into a current. the race I will be swims up stream for 400 meters before turning going down stream for 1100
meters. do I put a lot of effort into the first 400 to make the turn and get out of the current as fast as possible?

Nope...you'll just go over your threshold and wear yourself out. just swim at your planned effort for still water. You can't know the exact current on race day and unless you're doing yoru training for a fast first 400 and a slower 1100 after (not a good pacing strategy energywise) then you'll just blow up in the race. Plan a steady pace and as long as youre swimming fasetr than the current you'll get to the turnaround. The way back same thing, but plan your negative split by effort if that's been your training. The 2nd half will be fast.

Any chance this is Pittsburgh?
2016-07-25 2:52 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
no heading to the poconos in a few weeks
2016-07-25 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
I did Vineman full which was a swim in very slow current. It really can plan a trick on you if you focus looking for signs of progress. They key is to find your stroke and then make sure you swim consistently both up and down stream.

I lived and trained years ago in a community without a pool but we had some nice rivers and I'd find a spot that was slow moving and swim in place. I prefer pools but at the same time, nothing like a cool mountain stream and seeing fish to keep workouts interesting.
2016-07-26 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina

Louisville IM is up stream at start and down stream after the turn. I tried to draft and felt it helped when I had swimmers in front of me. It wasn't a problem finding swimmers to swim behind since I am not one of the fastest swimmers. Don't wear yourself out going up stream. Stay in comfort zone find some distance markers to reach so you feel like you are making progress.

Good luck
2016-07-26 8:56 AM

User image

In just about any river, the current flows faster in the middle than the edges. You can help yourself by staying out of the middle of the river.

2016-07-28 6:58 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
Against the current you want to be closer to the shore and down river, head for the center to put yourself into the fastest current.
2016-07-28 3:40 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Extreme Veteran
Langley, BC, 'Wet Coast' Canada
Is a swim in a river a great place to emphasize the effects of drafting ?

I would think that time-gains/energy-savings might be magnified by the strength of the current....
Thoughts?
2016-07-28 3:44 PM
in reply to: xeon

User image

Originally posted by xeon Against the current you want to be closer to the shore and down river, head for the center to put yourself into the fastest current.

This.  Chattanooga 70.3 was similar.  

Also, check in with locals for info as to the best line (assuming people swim the venue outside the race)

But no, do not power through the upstream, it will just enhance the existing resistance of the water.  

2016-08-06 7:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert

A lot of excellent advice in this thread. I just wanted to chime in because I did the half at Pocono last year, and I'll be doing the oly tomorrow. There is certainly a current, but not very strong. Although it slowed me down a little going upstream, I never felt like I was really fighting it. The river has been low, and while there was a lot of rain last weekend it is still pretty low. I had more of an issue with weeds on the downstream leg. If I recall correctly, I drifted a little to the left going back down stream and I got tangled in some pretty serious weeds. They might mention it during the briefing.

I'm doing the race morning check in, so I won't be there today, but if you want to say hello Sunday morning, I'm number 658. It's a great location for a race, with the swim being especially nice. Have a great race!

Edited by amschrod 2016-08-06 7:06 AM
2016-08-08 10:35 AM
in reply to: triosaurus

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by triosaurus

Is a swim in a river a great place to emphasize the effects of drafting ?

I would think that time-gains/energy-savings might be magnified by the strength of the current....
Thoughts?

All the things in the water are moving with the mass of the water plus their own propulsion. So relative to the water itself there is no current, only relative to the ground. (can you draft off a log drifting downstream?)

The only time it would be a benefit is if you can find someone choosing to swim harder upstream and you hop in their draft, but it's still that swimmers movement relative to the water that creates the draft, not relative to the shore...which is the measure of hte current.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swiming up stream Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

When Swiming down stream does drafting help?

Started by BuckHamilton
Views: 542 Posts: 3

2013-08-23 12:16 PM Mc Q

Swiming lessons

Started by montananewbie
Views: 485 Posts: 1

2006-06-02 9:33 AM montananewbie

Swiming, hit the plateau

Started by andrej
Views: 530 Posts: 5

2006-05-17 10:42 AM Global

Swiming mass start question

Started by annie
Views: 1095 Posts: 10

2004-03-07 9:34 PM Nancytris

swiming question

Started by Ontherun
Views: 727 Posts: 4

2004-01-27 8:15 AM owie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 19, 2013
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Step-Up exercise instruction with pictures and video

date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.
date : September 11, 2009
author : Total Immersion
comments : 1
In this third part, Terry Laughlin discusses how to achieve an optimal freestyle stroke and what drills go into developing a good stroke.

date : March 5, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Improving speed in swimming is more than just doing a few sprints at the beginning and end of your workouts. It takes a little more thinking, but I promise there is no high level math involved!