General Discussion Race Reports! » Goleta Beach Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Goleta Beach Triathlon - Long Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Goleta, California
United States
Goleta Beach Triathlon
67F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 41m 15s
Overall Rank = 99/121
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am and made 2 toasties (wheat bread with peanut butter and honey). Ate one and packed one and chased it with water. Packed a banana and apple sauce to have upon arrival to transition. Bike spot was in the middle, no complaints about that. Ate banana, laid out gear, got body marked, and went to porta potty to take a dump, hehe.

Returned to transition and talked to some first timers about the course and ate my apple sauce.

My overall plan was to race and enjoy myself and not put myself so far into recovery mode that I can't continue training for Las Vegas Triathlon 70.3 which has lotsa hills on both the bike and run.
Event warmup:

Did some dynamic movements and walked to the beach at about 7:45am to warm up but the fog rolled in. This fog was so thick that visibility was unsafe for open water swimming so the race director pushed the start time to 8:30 (sprint course started on time at 7am). Returned to my transition area to get another sip of Gatorade before returning at 8:15 to warm up in the water. The course was changed from rectangular to diamond shape where we swim out with all bouys to our left shoulder, out of the water to the beach around a special flag then back out into the water.
Swim
  • 31m 40s
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well and drafted behind swimmers as much as possible. My sighting was not good due to the fog and I veered right a few times.
What would you do differently?:

Stick to the inside since the field spread out pretty fast and there was minimal contact.
Transition 1
  • 05m 36s
Comments:

Decided to walk to transition since I found my flip flops and didn't wanna fall while running in those.

Put watch on bike, took off wetsuit, put on helmet, put on race belt, rinsed sandy feet, wiped hair and feet, sprayed SBR Trislide on feet and put socks and shoes on.

Rush anyway since it's a race? hehe
Bike
  • 1h 12m 2s
  • 22 miles
  • 18.32 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't do as much biking as I did last year leading to this race so I decided to race between 85-90% effort but ended up finishing the split at 0.85IF. My HR and RPE was in low to mid Z4 the first lap and mid to high Z4 the 2nd lap so I felt like I executed my bike split well.

Got passed a few times but passed more but my favorite segment this year was similar to last year. I reeled in about 10-15 bikers after the bike turn around. I passed 5 before the hill and 4 of those bikers probably felt the urge to pass me and I let them do that up the hill. I kept my power output and effort high and even while I spun and heard them breathing hard. I had an inkling feeling I'd catch them and pass them well before T2 and I did, hehehe!

Putting 80psi helped ease the bumpy spots on the path.

2013 time: 1:14:12
2014 time: 1:12:04
2015 time: 1:07:40
2016 time: 1:12:02

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 03m 52s
Comments:

Walked fast and carefully to my T2 spot. Racked bike and took off helmet, put hydration belt on, visor on, removed bike shoes, socks, sprayed Trislide on both feet, put socks on, put shoes on, moved watch from bike to left wrist, lapped T2 exiting.

Hurry up? I was a minute slower this year than last. Eh nah, I was in enjoyment mode this year.
Run
  • 48m 6s
  • 4.62 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Aimed to pace it comfortably hard the first half and amp up my effort based on feel. I had to stop and pee a bit after 1 mile because it was unbearable. There was some trees and brush nearby and I ran in there and relieved myself and was able to run better after that.

2013 time: 54:06
2014 time: 44:36
2015 time: 43:50
2016 time: 48:06

Nothing, I was in Z4 most of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and chatted with other finishers. Drank Endurox R4 but found out they weren't BBQing this year, wahhhhh. They had bananas, oranges, health bars, water, and Gatorade (I think) all of which I decided not to eat. It was still overcast by the time I finished but it was really humid during the run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lower volume of training compared to last year.

Event comments:

Despite the fog and post race food, I'm still coming back to race next year! :)

Last updated: 2016-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:40 | 1760 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/10
Overall: 96/121
Performance: Average
Suit: Roka Maveric Pro
Course: Diamond shaped course with swim out to 3 bouys on left shoulder back to beach sand around flag and out again 3 times.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:36
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:12:02 | 22 miles | 18.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 63/121
Performance: Good
• 141bpm avg HR (^Z4) • 170watts avg power • 168watts NP • 0.85IF
Wind:
Course: Mostly flat with small number of easy climbs on paved bike course. Bike path is not completely smooth with bumps and cracks. 443ft total elevation gain, less than last year???
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:06 | 04.62 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/10
Overall: 105/121
Performance: Good
• 1 -- 10:11 -- 136/140bpm • 2 -- 11:00 -- 135/143bpm • 3 -- 10:35 -- 140/45bpm • 4 -- 10:06 -- 144/148bpm • 5 -- 9:35 -- 147/153bpm
Course: Mostly flat with small number of easy climbs on paved bike course. Transition area was in parking lot area farther from bridge this year due to construction.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-07-25 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Goleta Beach Triathlon - Long Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Goleta Beach Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Goleta Beach Triathlon - Long Course

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1385 Posts: 3

2015-07-29 11:20 AM kloofyroland

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1110 Posts: 1

2014-07-29 1:25 PM kloofyroland

Started by kloofyroland
Views: 1349 Posts: 2

2013-08-03 9:00 PM KateTri1

Goleta Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by barrld21
Views: 1270 Posts: 3

2013-07-22 6:06 PM barrld21

Goleta Beach Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by Elnut
Views: 891 Posts: 1

2013-07-22 12:00 PM Elnut
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : Wooden Bell
comments : 8
A look back at my first triathlon at Parlee Beach.

date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
comments : 0
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.
date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon

date : November 19, 2007
author : mpk
I went down to the beach the day before to scout out the course, and it was glorious...the sun was out, the sea was as smooth as glass, and only a hint of a breeze was blowing. “Perfect,” I thought.
date : June 27, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
After starting the season with only the goals of raising money for cancer research, Stacey finds herself with the opportunity to go to the Long Course Championships in France.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : September 3, 2005
author : joeinco
comments : 6
As a triathlete, there is one acronym that you just can’t fathom ever having next to your name in a race report – DNF: DID NOT FINISH.

date : September 4, 2004
Thoughts on low carbohydrate diets in conjuntion with triathlon training.