of 14

2016-10-14 8:55 AM
in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: RE: Polls
RCP averages

So if you create your own map and turn off the toss ups; Clinton leads: 340 to 198

But look at how close the 5 states are.....most are w/I the margins of error. If Trump can flip these 5 states, he wins.

FL (Clinton up by 2.7) 311/227

OH (Clinton up by 1.6) 293/245

NC (Clinton up by 2.9) 278/260

NV (Clinton up by 1.4) 272/266

MN (Clinton up by 4.3) 262/276

And if he flips PA, he winds by an electoral landslide

PA (Clinton up by 8.7) 242/296

2016-10-14 9:05 AM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio RCP averages So if you create your own map and turn off the toss ups; Clinton leads: 340 to 198 But look at how close the 5 states are.....most are w/I the margins of error. If Trump can flip these 5 states, he wins. FL (Clinton up by 2.7) 311/227 OH (Clinton up by 1.6) 293/245 NC (Clinton up by 2.9) 278/260 NV (Clinton up by 1.4) 272/266 MN (Clinton up by 4.3) 262/276 And if he flips PA, he winds by an electoral landslide PA (Clinton up by 8.7) 242/296

Even taking all the averages at face value this race has been swinging wildly the last couple weeks and I have no reason to believe the swings are going to stop.

As you mention Trump is at worse low single digits away in a handful of swing states.  One bad wikileak or a stock market crash/world event can easily swing those numbers.

Here's a CNBC Oped talking about the wild poll swings.

2016-10-15 10:33 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Elite
Originally posted by tuwood

Originally posted by Rogillio RCP averages So if you create your own map and turn off the toss ups; Clinton leads: 340 to 198 But look at how close the 5 states are.....most are w/I the margins of error. If Trump can flip these 5 states, he wins. FL (Clinton up by 2.7) 311/227 OH (Clinton up by 1.6) 293/245 NC (Clinton up by 2.9) 278/260 NV (Clinton up by 1.4) 272/266 MN (Clinton up by 4.3) 262/276 And if he flips PA, he winds by an electoral landslide PA (Clinton up by 8.7) 242/296

Even taking all the averages at face value this race has been swinging wildly the last couple weeks and I have no reason to believe the swings are going to stop.

As you mention Trump is at worse low single digits away in a handful of swing states.  One bad wikileak or a stock market crash/world event can easily swing those numbers.

Ha! Tony, you need to be a comedy writer!
Wild swings?
Trump hasn't led in the polls since July 30th.
Hillary built a small lead and maintained it until mid September when Trump came within 1% of Hillary, and for the last 4 weeks, she has built on her lead...currently at 6.7%.
I'll repeat that, Hillary's lead has grown from 1% 4 weeks ago, to 6.7%.
It was a solid, consistent growth...NOT one of "wild swings."

When your candidate is caught dead to rights uttering indefensible and disgusting comments, and is also being accused by women (now the # is in the double digits) of groping and kissing them against their will...yeah, I think you can understand why this guy's sinking in the polls....

• ..or is it the fact he has no clear policy stances? Perhaps it's the fact he thinks he knows more about ISIS than our generals do.

• You will look back on Trump in a way that will make you long for the days of Sarah Palin. LOL
    2016-10-15 11:02 PM
    in reply to: ChineseDemocracy

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE
    Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Ha! Tony, you need to be a comedy writer! Wild swings?Trump hasn't led in the polls since July 30th.Hillary built a small lead and maintained it until mid September when Trump came within 1% of Hillary, and for the last 4 weeks, she has built on her lead...currently at 6.7%.I'll repeat that, Hillary's lead has grown from 1% 4 weeks ago, to 6.7%.It was a solid, consistent growth...NOT one of "wild swings."When your candidate is caught dead to rights uttering indefensible and disgusting comments, and is also being accused by women (now the # is in the double digits) of groping and kissing them against their will...yeah, I think you can understand why this guy's sinking in the polls.......or is it the fact he has no clear policy stances? Perhaps it's the fact he thinks he knows more about ISIS than our generals do. You will look back on Trump in a way that will make you long for the days of Sarah Palin. LOL
    I'm glad you're so confident the race is over.
    2016-10-16 7:08 AM

User image

Elite

Originally posted by ChineseDemocracy

Ha! Tony, you need to be a comedy writer! Wild swings?Trump hasn't led in the polls since July 30th.Hillary built a small lead and maintained it until mid September when Trump came within 1% of Hillary, and for the last 4 weeks, she has built on her lead...currently at 6.7%.I'll repeat that, Hillary's lead has grown from 1% 4 weeks ago, to 6.7%.It was a solid, consistent growth...NOT one of "wild swings."When your candidate is caught dead to rights uttering indefensible and disgusting comments, and is also being accused by women (now the # is in the double digits) of groping and kissing them against their will...yeah, I think you can understand why this guy's sinking in the polls.......or is it the fact he has no clear policy stances? Perhaps it's the fact he thinks he knows more about ISIS than our generals do. You will look back on Trump in a way that will make you long for the days of Sarah Palin. LOL
    I'm glad you're so confident the race is over.

Nope, I never said the race is over...but your assertion that the movements in the polls have been "wild swings," is not accurate.
    I was merely pointing out the steady expansion of Hillary's lead which seems to have grown as Donald's campaign has alienated his own party, women, and minorities.
    You had accurately pointed out Trump's best chance is lower turnout...but the inflammatory nature of his rallies is going to have the opposite effect.
    2016-10-17 1:24 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    Clinton/Trump

47/43 ABC
    48/37 NBC
    44/45 LA Times
    43/41 Rasmussen
    50/38 Monmouth

Spread: 4, 11, -1, 2, 12

I can't help but wonder what the pollsters think when they look at other polls!?

Shirley the guys at NBC look at their data and compare it to what other polls found. "OK, we have Clinton up by 11 points.....LA Times had Trump up by 1. Hmmm, how can they be THAT wrong? Rasmussen shows a 2 point delta. Are they just stupid?"

When I was in college we had a EE professor that would use different values on our circuit analysis tests to dissuade cheating. It would be the same problem but different values. So for one test the resistor value maybe 0.4 ohms. On another test the value would be 4 K-ohms.

After class we talk to each other, "Hey what did you get for #3? I got 600 volts." "Oh crap!! I got 2 milivolts!" Turns out we both got the problem right.

When it comes to polls, somebody is getting it very wrong.......

Edited by Rogillio 2016-10-17 1:27 PM

2016-10-17 1:29 PM
    in reply to: #5192708

User image

Master
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Bronze member
    If you correct those polls for their internal bias, they all get closer to a 4 to 7 point Clinton lead.
    2016-10-17 1:32 PM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio Clinton/Trump 47/43 ABC 48/37 NBC 44/45 LA Times 43/41 Rasmussen 50/38 Monmouth Spread: 4, 11, -1, 2, 12 I can't help but wonder what the pollsters think when they look at other polls!? Shirley the guys at NBC look at their data and compare it to what other polls found. "OK, we have Clinton up by 11 points.....LA Times had Trump up by 1. Hmmm, how can they be THAT wrong? Rasmussen shows a 2 point delta. Are they just stupid?" When I was in college we had a EE professor that would use different values on our circuit analysis tests to dissuade cheating. It would be the same problem but different values. So for one test the resistor value maybe 0.4 ohms. On another test the value would be 4 K-ohms. After class we talk to each other, "Hey what did you get for #3? I got 600 volts." "Oh crap!! I got 2 milivolts!" Turns out we both got the problem right. When it comes to polls, somebody is getting it very wrong.......

You ever watch the twitter feed of the guy who runs Monmouth?  He's a raging Trump hater and it's no surprise that his bias makes it into his "scientific" polls.

As for the others, they're honestly just guessing on the turnout.  They have no idea what it is because it's anybodies guess.  Even with the events of the last couple weeks there can be massive swings in either direction on turnout that aren't being reflected in these polls.  That's why I always say to just watch the overall trends for each poll to get a flavor of things going up or down.

I read something earlier today that talked about the polls for the Brexit vote.  They were in the 8%-10% range of staying in the EU, but the pollsters were incapable of capturing the turnout of such a populist movement.  The end result ended up with the leave vote at +4% I believe. 

2016-10-17 1:33 PM
    in reply to: ejshowers

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers If you correct those polls for their internal bias, they all get closer to a 4 to 7 point Clinton lead.

Just out of curiosity what do you mean by "correct for their internal bias"?

2016-10-17 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    Originally posted by ejshowers

If you correct those polls for their internal bias, they all get closer to a 4 to 7 point Clinton lead.

How do you know this? What are the internal biases? Whose to say whose models are more accurate?

Is the market bullish or bearish? The are times when vast majority of analysts say bullish (poll of poll average say bullish) and the market crashes anyway! In other words, just because most people think one way or another does not necessarily make it correct.

My prediction is this election is going to be a landslide! It will not even be close.....not electorally and not by popular vote. It will be a blowout.

Who wins? No idea. :-)
    2016-10-17 1:43 PM

User image

Oakville

Originally posted by Rogillio Clinton/Trump 47/43 ABC 48/37 NBC 44/45 LA Times 43/41 Rasmussen 50/38 Monmouth Spread: 4, 11, -1, 2, 12 I can't help but wonder what the pollsters think when they look at other polls!? Shirley the guys at NBC look at their data and compare it to what other polls found. "OK, we have Clinton up by 11 points.....LA Times had Trump up by 1. Hmmm, how can they be THAT wrong? Rasmussen shows a 2 point delta. Are they just stupid?" When I was in college we had a EE professor that would use different values on our circuit analysis tests to dissuade cheating. It would be the same problem but different values. So for one test the resistor value maybe 0.4 ohms. On another test the value would be 4 K-ohms. After class we talk to each other, "Hey what did you get for #3? I got 600 volts." "Oh crap!! I got 2 milivolts!" Turns out we both got the problem right. When it comes to polls, somebody is getting it very wrong.......

You ever watch the twitter feed of the guy who runs Monmouth?  He's a raging Trump hater and it's no surprise that his bias makes it into his "scientific" polls.

The irony is that a drastically biased poll in favour of Clinton could end up electing Trump.  If the polls show she has a >10% lead just before election day, the Clinton voters will think she has it in the bag and the panicked Trump voters will show up in record numbers.

2016-10-17 1:50 PM
    in reply to: Scott71

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Scott71

The irony is that a drastically biased poll in favour of Clinton could end up electing Trump.  If the polls show she has a >10% lead just before election day, the Clinton voters will think she has it in the bag and the panicked Trump voters will show up in record numbers.

I do agree with you there and as much as I want Trump to win I don't want it to be through people not voting because they think it's in the bag.

The media has a fine balance between disheartening Trump voters (which is what I feel their mission is) but not convincing Hillary voters they don't need to vote. 

2016-10-17 2:07 PM
    in reply to: #5202161

User image

Master
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Bronze member
    Bias is a measure of how much a polling firm's results have erred toward one party or another against actual results over many elections.
    2016-10-17 2:10 PM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by ejshowers Bias is a measure of how much a polling firm's results have erred toward one party or another against actual results over many elections.

I guess my question is more towards adjusting the bias.  Obviously we can take the raw data and apply it to the exact turnout of 2008 or 2012 and get a number, but I think you and I both could agree that this year is "different".  This is why I believe the pollsters have a really tough job, because they are being tasked with figuring out what the real bias is going to be based on pollster responses.   IMHO the polls that are using historical models will likely be found to be the least accurate. 

2016-10-17 2:16 PM

User image

Champion
    Alabama

I do agree with you there and as much as I want Trump to win I don't want it to be through people not voting because they think it's in the bag.

The media has a fine balance between disheartening Trump voters (which is what I feel their mission is) but not convincing Hillary voters they don't need to vote. 

You sort of contradict yourself. You say your don't want Trump to win because people think it's in the bag for Hillary.....but then you imply the media has been trying to skew the election.

People that don't vote because they think Hillary is gonna win (based on the media biased reports) deserve to have their candidate lose.

2016-10-17 2:19 PM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

Originally posted by Rogillio

You sort of contradict yourself. You say your don't want Trump to win because people think it's in the bag for Hillary.....but then you imply the media has been trying to skew the election. People that don't vote because they think Hillary is gonna win (based on the media biased reports) deserve to have their candidate lose.

Yeah, I see your point.  No question the media is skewing the election though

2016-10-17 2:31 PM

User image

Master
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Bronze member

Originally posted by ejshowers Bias is a measure of how much a polling firm's results have erred toward one party or another against actual results over many elections.

I guess my question is more towards adjusting the bias.  Obviously we can take the raw data and apply it to the exact turnout of 2008 or 2012 and get a number, but I think you and I both could agree that this year is "different".  This is why I believe the pollsters have a really tough job, because they are being tasked with figuring out what the real bias is going to be based on pollster responses.   IMHO the polls that are using historical models will likely be found to be the least accurate. 

You are talking about estimating turnout, not adjusting a polls historical bias. 2 different things.

I agree estimating turnout could be interesting and a source of error maybe higher than in elections past. But pollsters are pros, and do it for a living, and if you look at averages and trends, I don't think they will be far off. I know you think this is such a different election than others, but I feel that people are people and tend to follow pretty well established patterns. And when you are measuring in the millions over thousands of polls, those patterns are what is significant, not how individuals feel or how many people turn out at a rally.
    2016-10-17 3:20 PM

User image

Champion
    Alabama

You are talking about estimating turnout, not adjusting a polls historical bias. 2 different things.

I agree estimating turnout could be interesting and a source of error maybe higher than in elections past. But pollsters are pros, and do it for a living, and if you look at averages and trends, I don't think they will be far off. I know you think this is such a different election than others, but I feel that people are people and tend to follow pretty well established patterns. And when you are measuring in the millions over thousands of polls, those patterns are what is significant, not how individuals feel or how many people turn out at a rally.

I think rally turn-out is an excellent indicator of enthusiasm. These are real people who got in their car and drove to a rally and waited for hours just to hear/see someone speak. Its one thing to tell a pollster, I am 'very enthusiastic'....entirely different than actually going to a rally.

Another good metric is number of donors. Trump claims 2.6 million individual donors. Best numbers I can find for Hillary was WSJ in March where she had 1.0 million donors.

2016-10-17 3:50 PM

User image

Master
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Bronze member

I think rally turn-out is an excellent indicator of enthusiasm. These are real people who got in their car and drove to a rally and waited for hours just to hear/see someone speak. Its one thing to tell a pollster, I am 'very enthusiastic'....entirely different than actually going to a rally.

Another good metric is number of donors. Trump claims 2.6 million individual donors. Best numbers I can find for Hillary was WSJ in March where she had 1.0 million donors.

Sure, you can think of them as data points. I'd just argue that they just aren't very significant compared to many other more objective ones.

2016-10-17 3:54 PM
    in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
    St. Louis

You are talking about estimating turnout, not adjusting a polls historical bias. 2 different things. I agree estimating turnout could be interesting and a source of error maybe higher than in elections past. But pollsters are pros, and do it for a living, and if you look at averages and trends, I don't think they will be far off. I know you think this is such a different election than others, but I feel that people are people and tend to follow pretty well established patterns. And when you are measuring in the millions over thousands of polls, those patterns are what is significant, not how individuals feel or how many people turn out at a rally.
    I think rally turn-out is an excellent indicator of enthusiasm. These are real people who got in their car and drove to a rally and waited for hours just to hear/see someone speak. Its one thing to tell a pollster, I am 'very enthusiastic'....entirely different than actually going to a rally. Another good metric is number of donors. Trump claims 2.6 million individual donors. Best numbers I can find for Hillary was WSJ in March where she had 1.0 million donors.

There is no doubt that Trump's hardcore fans greatly outnumber Hillary's hardcore fans. But you can't underestimate people voting against a candidate. Tony's pointed out plenty of times in the past how Obama had the rockstar appeal and nobody got excited about Romney. But Romney received the fourth most votes of any presidential candidate ever (losing to Obama twice and Bush's second term). A lot of people unenthusiastic about Romney were still very enthusiastic about voting against Obama. 

So there's more people that love Trump than love Hillary, but I also think there's way more people that hate Trump than hate Hillary. How that'll play out in the election? ¯\_("/)_/¯

I think Hillary is going to win, but I won't be shocked if Trump does. I will be shocked if this election doesn't set the record for voter turnout. Nobody is sitting this one out. 

Edited by Bob Loblaw 2016-10-17 3:55 PM
    2016-10-17 3:54 PM

User image

Champion
    Alabama

Sure, you can think of them as data points. I'd just argue that they just aren't very significant compared to many other more objective ones.

LOL So 2.6 million and 1.0 million are subjective measures?

OK, I know what you're saying.....just because someone doesn't give money does not mean they won't turn out to vote. This is true. But, I guarantee if I cared enough to pull my credit card and make a donation, I will be at the polls come hail or high water....gotsta protect my investment! :-)

2016-10-17 4:04 PM
    in reply to: Bob Loblaw

User image

Champion
    Alabama
    Originally posted by Bob Loblaw

You are talking about estimating turnout, not adjusting a polls historical bias. 2 different things. I agree estimating turnout could be interesting and a source of error maybe higher than in elections past. But pollsters are pros, and do it for a living, and if you look at averages and trends, I don't think they will be far off. I know you think this is such a different election than others, but I feel that people are people and tend to follow pretty well established patterns. And when you are measuring in the millions over thousands of polls, those patterns are what is significant, not how individuals feel or how many people turn out at a rally.
    I think rally turn-out is an excellent indicator of enthusiasm. These are real people who got in their car and drove to a rally and waited for hours just to hear/see someone speak. Its one thing to tell a pollster, I am 'very enthusiastic'....entirely different than actually going to a rally. Another good metric is number of donors. Trump claims 2.6 million individual donors. Best numbers I can find for Hillary was WSJ in March where she had 1.0 million donors.

There is no doubt that Trump's hardcore fans greatly outnumber Hillary's hardcore fans. But you can't underestimate people voting against a candidate. Tony's pointed out plenty of times in the past how Obama had the rockstar appeal and nobody got excited about Romney. But Romney received the fourth most votes of any presidential candidate ever (losing to Obama twice and Bush's second term). A lot of people unenthusiastic about Romney were still very enthusiastic about voting against Obama. 

So there's more people that love Trump than love Hillary, but I also think there's way more people that hate Trump than hate Hillary. How that'll play out in the election? ¯\_("/)_/¯

I think Hillary is going to win, but I won't be shocked if Trump does. I will be shocked if this election doesn't set the record for voter turnout. Nobody is sitting this one out. 

It will be interesting to see in exit polls how many people voted for someone and how many people voted against someone. Now that I think on it, I'm not sure how I'd answer that.....I am voting anti establishment......and that is pretty much anti-Hillary. But I am also voting for radical change....and that is pretty much Trump (at least that is my hope). The bar rastared might turn out to be just like the turncoats GOPers we gave control of the House and Senate to and accomplished nothing. And they could have.....passed some immigration reform.
    2016-10-17 4:06 PM

User image

Master
    Minnetonka, Minnesota
    Bronze member

LOL So 2.6 million and 1.0 million are subjective measures?

OK, I know what you're saying.....just because someone doesn't give money does not mean they won't turn out to vote. This is true. But, I guarantee if I cared enough to pull my credit card and make a donation, I will be at the polls come hail or high water....gotsta protect my investment! :-)

126 million votes were cast in 2012, so yes, I do think the 2.6 and the 1.0 numbers are pretty subjective if you are trying to pick who will get 50% of 126 million. I have no idea how the number of people contributing to a candidate equates to votes and couldn't find any info on it. Do you? Plus, I am not sure how the 2.6 and 1.0 are even gathered/measured or if they represent the same times frames, etc.

Likewise, if Trump held say 6 rallies in a state over the election cycle and each one had 10,000 people, that's 60,000 total, not bad. But if the population of that state is say 8 million, how significant is that number looking state-wide? Did he hold rallies only in highly red areas or at times when he was on an upswing? See what I mean?
    2016-10-19 7:11 AM

User image

Pro
    Omaha, NE

New WaPo poll released for some battlegrounds. 

2016-10-19 6:37 PM

User image

Elite
    Oh sweet Jesus Tony...Survey Monkey?
    Is this a legitimate poll?
    Does the LA Times know you are posting non-LA Times polls????
    New Thread
    Other Resources The Political Joe » Polls Rss Feed  

of 14